Do you think kids movies should have less sexual innuendos or is it ok?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. katherinethorell profile image68
    katherinethorellposted 12 years ago

Do you think kids movies should have less sexual innuendos or is it ok?

Do you think it's innapropriate for children's movies to have sexual jokes in them? Or is it ok because they're too young to understand? What do you think?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5770866_f260.jpg

2. marek504 profile image63
    marek504posted 12 years ago

I think movie studios know they can get away with some adult innuendos and references because the kids are too young to understand.  Someone has to bring the kids to the movies so they seem to add things for the adults.

3. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 12 years ago

I think it's ok, as already stated they are to young to understand, and sometimes it adds some value to the cartoon or movie as well, what i mean to say by that is take the picture above, from the roger rabbit movie, if it was a not so sexy caracter, it wouldn't be the same, you know.

4. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

Are you really using Who Framed Roger Rabbit as an example of a "kids' movie?"

I think parents should take some freaking responsibility, and preview the movie before they let their kids watch it. That way they won't be surprised by any unexpected innuendo. But that would take effort. It's a lot easier to blame Hollywood than to take responsibility as a parent, so many parents take the blame Hollywood path.

It's really very simple: if you don't think your kids should be watching it, don't let your kids watch it. You don't get to decide what my kids watch: that's my job, and my wife's. We make our own decisions about that, thanks.

5. Nat Amaral profile image60
    Nat Amaralposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's a coincidence that people, particularly teenagers, are getting sexually active or pregnant younger and younger every year just by coincidence.  It's more than likely that these kind of movies that these kind of jokes in children's movies do play a role in that part.

6. brittanytodd profile image87
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

I find this question interesting because I was recently shocked by the sexualization of Puss in Boots in this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LVf1swl … ure=relmfu

I think some sexual references are over the top and are not appropriate for children.  There are some very good sites that my family uses to see how many sexual references, swear words, etc. are in a movie before we allow my brother to watch something.

7. heather92383 profile image79
    heather92383posted 12 years ago

Sex? It's a subject that many people feel uncomfortable approaching. How do you maintain your innocence as you evolve into adulthood? Read on to find out how. read more

8. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

I think most studios do that so that the parents can have something to laugh at while the kids are watching the movie. That makes it a "family" film. However, sexuality has been in kids movies long before I was ever alive; usually in a subliminal way. For isntance, nearly every Disney movie has at least one sexual image hidden in it; if one is quick enough to freeze-fram it at the right time...the word "sex" spelled out in the stars in The Lion King, the preacher with an erection in The Little Mermaid," etc. etc etc. Perhaps parents should read movie reviews from other parents before taking their children. Or maybe, just maybe, they can try not to gasp in fright and tense up when their children ask something about sex.

9. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I honestly don't have a strong opinion on this for one way over the other.  However, I do agree with Jeff Berndt that it's parents responsibility to maintain what their children watch on TV or in movies.  After all, movie studios only care about making money (whether they admit that openly or not), so it's not their job to raise other people's children. 

Having said that though, you are aware there's even sexual references in TV show cartoons too right?  Hell, if you look at even some of the old TV shows that used to be on Saturday Mornings, there's a ton of subtle sexual innuendos in there if you look hard enough.  Remember the Animaniacs?  In their show, the animators even admitted they purposely put sexual undertones into the show that were so eerily subtle that parents never picked up on it.  In fact, the Nostalgia Critic actually did a top eleven of those subtle innuendos if you want to check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePGlKqbs9d8

10. vmartinezwilson profile image78
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

Brittneytood,

I too was taken aback by some of the stuff in Puss In Boots like the "It wasn't over easy" part.  My face probably looked like that cat who said, "oooooh". 

When that scene ended I looked at my daughter (who is 6) and she was just chomping on her popcorn oblivious.  A few days later I was flipping by old school Bugs Bunny cartoons and laughed like I never had before.  They were so dirty and I didn't even know it.

When they made those cartoon shorts, they wanted to entertain the kids, but also please the adults who to had to take their kids to the movie theaters to watch the newsreels.  In short, it's always been there and will always be there.

I agree with Jeff Berndt that parents can control what their kids what when they are younger and educate them to what is and what isn't appropriate as they get older and further from parent's control.

11. katherinethorell profile image68
    katherinethorellposted 12 years ago

I agree as well that's the parents job to monitor what their kids watch , but in general I lean a little both ways. They're good for entertaining the adults, but I was just curious what other people's thoughts were.

Stevennix2001: Oh I'm well aware. I remember babysitting my little cousin and we were watching the Powerpuff girls. I kept doing the double take..."did they really just say that " face. Had to laugh at myself.

On the flip when is it too much?

12. Keith Matyi profile image60
    Keith Matyiposted 12 years ago

its too late now, let it ride. You can't take back what you already did.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" was not intended to be a "kid's movie," so it's probably not the best film to use as an example. Just sayin'.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)