Do you advocate feral cat spay or neuter and release programs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. B. Leekley profile image85
    B. Leekleyposted 12 years ago

Do you advocate feral cat spay or neuter and release programs?

With no-kill shelters, foster homes, and adoption for cats that are just lost or abandoned and not feral.

2. Minn.purplerose profile image60
    Minn.purpleroseposted 12 years ago

It has been duly noted by both shelters and adoption agencies that both cats and dogs have given birth to more of their kind than there are people to adopt them as pets.  While I do not condone putting any animal to death just for the sake of killing, I do advocate the spaying and neutering of cats and dogs to control their population to eliminate the unnecessary deaths of overpopulation which some agencies condone.

Because feral cats can often disrupt the environment in which they suddendly find themselves, yes, I do advocate spaying and neutering feral cats.  They should then be released, however, it would be wise to put them in an environment native to their own specific species.

3. profile image52
    bluebayposted 12 years ago

yes.With all the humane programs. Spaying or nueturing is the best answer.

4. alezafree profile image89
    alezafreeposted 12 years ago

Yes, absolutely, otherwise the cat population explodes and the cats most likely end up being caught by animal control, where they are inevitably executed.

5. Meisjunk profile image74
    Meisjunkposted 12 years ago

Yes. Always yes.

If the cats are more comfortable in the wild and can't be tamed, then they're fine in the wild as long as they're not procreating every 3 months.

6. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

If a cat is unable to be passive toward a human or humans, then I am okay with the idea. Its better then killing them. Most feral cats only live to be 6 years old on average do to feline aids/HIV and the dangers of the world. If a cat is able to be nice and live in doors with a human caretaker then there is no reason they should be left on the street. My fiance' and I actually took in a stray cat. He was around 2 years old, not neutered but he is the sweetest cat. He got a chunk bit out his neck and my mom actually took him to the vet and he got fixed and stitched up. He had to remain in doors till he healed... needless to say, he stayed with us and never left. We love him very much and thats all he wanted, love, a warm place to sleep and food.

7. sarairwin profile image60
    sarairwinposted 12 years ago

I am very much for spaying and neutering feral cats; however, I have been rescuing cats for well over 15 years and believe that it is better to bring a cat indoors instead of leaving it outside where it is inevitable that it will be hit by a car or be infected by one of the incurable diseases spread between feral cats through urine and passed between mom and newborns.  I have taken in feral cats that I only see when they eat or use the litter box.  After many years some of them decide they would like to be in the same room and on occasion I have had some that have realized that they actually like the companionship they have with a human.  It may take years, but when it happens, it feels like a miracle and there is no greater feeling than this.

8. Suzie ONeill profile image75
    Suzie ONeillposted 12 years ago

Yes. I would prefer if the animals could be placed in homes after they're spayed or neutered, but with feral cats that's not always possible. I think that programs that "fix" the animals and then release them are better than nothing. At least this way they won't continue to add to the problem of homeless animals by continuing to reproduce.

9. janiek13 profile image77
    janiek13posted 12 years ago

Yes, I do. In fact, we have a feral colony behind the shop where I work and we trap the adults and have them neutered and release them back into their colony. If we can catch the kittens young enough, we take them home and tame them, then we find them homes. I have one named Larry.

10. Shaddie profile image76
    Shaddieposted 12 years ago

Hell, I'd advocate feral cat hunting season if it were on the table.

11. B. Leekley profile image85
    B. Leekleyposted 12 years ago

Lots of good answers from caring persons.  Keep up the good cat rescue work.  If interested in bringing lost cats in from the cold, google on
    cat rescue OR adopt OR adoption OR foster
    and add the name of your town, county, or state.

Or organize.  Here are sample programs:
    http://www.felinesandfriends.org/conten … zation.htm
    http://fandfnm.org/

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)