What does religion mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image64
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 12 years ago

What does religion mean to you?

With so much evidence supporting science these days and countless discoveries disregarding religion and proving it wrong, what does religion mean to you? Religion means nothing to me, personally. I am atheist and am happy being atheist and I am happy with religious people being religious if it makes them happy. I just want to know that given the modern 21st century discoveries and evidences in favor of science and not a single new breakthrough for religion, what does religion mean to you these days?

2. thumbi7 profile image59
    thumbi7posted 12 years ago

In my understanding religion gives certain guidelines for life. Certain norms and practices prescribed by religion if followed in its true sense will help in the spiritual growth of people.

3. ScottLoogan profile image70
    ScottLooganposted 12 years ago

I grew up Christian, then I was an atheist for a long time. Now, I'm Pagan.The reason I'm not an atheist is because I've decided that no matter how much science explains, there will always be unexplainable things that are just deemed "coincidence". You can fit a lot of belief and faith in the large grey area of coincidence. I will always believe that there is something more to life than what we can see and quantify. It reassures me. If I'm wrong, it doesn't really hurt me any. If anyone's religion makes them a better person, and makes them feel assured, then more power to them.

1. moneymindit profile image61
      moneyminditposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What has religion done for these people? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1kTF3smOE

4. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image64
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 12 years ago

Brilliant philosophy, Scott. Write a Hub on this. wink

5. Taleb80 profile image80
    Taleb80posted 12 years ago

For me my religion  is the most important thing.
    Continuously, I understand more how much I am happy because of it.
    My biggest problems have been solved because of my faith.
    Mr. Wayne, if you do not taste the natural honey, you will keep thinking that nothing can be sweeter than strawberries Jam.

6. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

I've answered this question many times on here in a variety of differing ways, but I'll take another stab at it.

Religion to me is a formal way of showing others a means of a higher order of things, to provide a clear and concise pathway to follow or should I say a spiritual guidance.  Many people are born into such a pathway, and its purely inherited from parents, others may choose such a path towards potential enlightenment for a particular faith based belief. 

There's countless others that can stand firm in their dis-belief and would be considered to be Atheist, and also appear to be Damned by those in which practice religious ways of life, and firmly portray to the world that those who don't believe in their ways are doomed somehow. 

This to me is showing both sides of what religion truly is, but some scientific minds may look at it all as a form of control of the masses as well, and many others who have no concept of belief or disbelief entirely. 
    Whether its a matter of control or not, every person on this planetary surface has the right to believe in what they choose, no matter the consequences for such. 
    Many religions are at odds with one another and believe they need to extinct that of the others, but in my opinion this isn't the right way to approach things at all.  I think any ideology whether it is spurred out by a human being or any other being for that matter, should be handled with care, and given a chance, as long as it doesn't threaten the lives of all inhabitants on this precious planet, because everything we think of coming up with; has its potential value in it, including that of Religion or Science.

Your non-belief is fine in my book, but I must say I'm a spiritualist myself, and I believe in all of the religions as a whole, and I fully utilize the scientific method as my tooling and upper hand for survival in scientific times.  So God is my saving power, and science is my sword of rescue.
    Great continual partition to your question, but evolution was inevitable, that's one thing for sure, so look at my perspective as such if you can.

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

As a "Christian" as a believer, my religion means everything to me. Neither Science, nor History has been able to teardown or destroy any of the teachings that have been established in God's Holy Word, The Bible. The thing is, thoughts that cross my mind trying to tear down my beliefs are destroyed themselves as I research the Bible for answers.

8. Millercl profile image65
    Millerclposted 12 years ago

I think religion can be expanded or generalized to simply refer to a set of beliefs concerning the nature and purpose of everything.

Those who would espouse science as the only rational way to understand everything reveal their religion when they bump up against something they don't understand and say, "There must be a scientific explanation."

9. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 12 years ago

Religion means "personal agenda" , of different founders and organizers .CHRISTIANITY, on the other hand,is from Heaven given by God through the spirit of Jesus Christ.

Humankind created religion because they did not agree with or was not close enough to God not to add another name to the fold. The world just want to eat the fruits without being one of those that sowed the seeds.

When it is all said and done ..."Happy New Year".

10. ablissfulskin profile image39
    ablissfulskinposted 12 years ago

This is my opinion and don't mean to offend anyone out there, if I do, my apologies in advance.

I believe in all religions and yet in none. Let me explain, I believe in a Higher Power, love, kindness, acceptance, and forgiveness, all religions have the same essential rules which guide individuals to become a better person; however, people like to label themselves and feel part of a particular group, (more power to them), but that's not what religion means to me.

I feel we are the creators of our lives and we cannot blame others for our reaction to events, we have the power to change for the better, by doing so we can add to society by loving and accepting others regardless of their believes, ethnicity, gender, or views.

Do we really need to "label" one another? Why not believe we all are part of one religion called humanity? Yes, I do understand is far fetched, but why not begin with ourselves? Let's be the change we want to see in our world smile

11. profile image35
    LORD ENKIposted 12 years ago

The biggest SHAM ever! Fear based and designed for controll over the masses!!

12. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

a method to connect with spiritual beings and practices that are regulated. It makes a group that shares a covenant.
    I actually had a discussion this morning and was almost sorry to realize that I really can not stick to somebody else's spiritual experience and repeat whatever some wrote or said. They were like lunatics sadly... lifeless, robots repeating. i was so sorry and felt a lot of compassion. I can not stick to those stereotype and discriminating systems. I leave on the side the personal agenda of the leaders: money and total control of the bodymind of millions of people. It is very scary.

13. profile image52
    oneblockeastposted 12 years ago

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for ,the evidance of things not seen .Hebrews n 11:1-3 religon is not something you can see ,feel touch or be submissive to , its faith in the Son of GOD , It don't demand proof, it demand faith. And everyone has a right to enjoy every faith they believe in ,My best friend is athiest, i never try to change him .I am a christian and i will live a christian even after my body returns to the earth, And Wayne i hope you enjoy your beliefs, as i depends on mine , May GOD bless you and keep you as he is doing right now , You asked about it which means you are interested  , its for real Brother believe me

14. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 12 years ago

Religion would be useful if it was used solely for moral guidance. Humanity learns as it goes and the universal experience of life and living is passed down as Wisdom. The problem is some of us are thought/indoctrinated to believe that we need an Idol to comfort our Souls(living flesh). The free Spirit(abstract energy) needs no such comfort because we know that we are a part of the Dark Energy that has always existed. Life is only a temporarily Time bubble.

15. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

When I think of religion I think of someone who is affraide to go to hell in my opinon religion and spirtualty are two diffrent things thoose who claim to serve god should do so because they love and respect who ever it is they worship not because they are affraide of suffering or think they will benifit from it.

16. GoldenBird profile image58
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

Very often, religion acts like a medicine that helps people to cure themselves from the neurosis caused by science. Apart from that, it does not have much benefit for human beings.

17. profile image31
    pojamehtaposted 12 years ago

for me my relagion is everything and realigion is the set of set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a group of people. These set of beliefs concern the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, and involve devotional and ritual observances. They also often contain a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. http://deluxepages.blogspot.com/

18. seattleamilehigh1 profile image61
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

Religion to me is ones ability of a colective of people to believe in something bigger than them. Whether that be a kitchen stove, or Jesus Christ, that is what it is. I don't know I believe in God, but I believe that there has to be something bigger than the world we live in. The ability to believe in something is something I think is great, that is what inspires hope, that is what helps the underdogs of this world, hope. I think religion can be all about how you see your world, not which god you praise.

19. KrystalD profile image67
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

Religion is something man-made and man-ran. I struggled with how much religion asks followers to conform. Don't even get me started on how it has been used to oppress others!

What I have learned to embrace is spirituality. I get to have my beliefs without all the rituals, judgments and labels that man uses in religion.

I have found this comfortable and liberating! To thy own self be true smile

20. medicaljournal profile image58
    medicaljournalposted 12 years ago

I have faith in my religion, and I think every religion only ask to make people happy. Help others and try to solve their problems as much possible. Definitely, first you will see your family then others but be generous with others as well.

21. richierico profile image59
    richiericoposted 12 years ago

my religion is my guidance of my life. in my holy book, there are rules about what we can do and what we can't do

22. profile image52
    enwholesale-oyangposted 12 years ago

Faith. Many things that science can't answer for us. But human imagination infinite

I hear that from
    uudeal.com

23. joerose profile image69
    joeroseposted 12 years ago

Religion is an orderliness followed with the guidance of spirituality. If someone doesn't follow religion, he is unreligious, not an atheist. Atheist is a fool who is so proud and arrogant that he questions God, does not respect even his parents and forefathers, and doesn't care about life and its source.

Science is a weapon which is used for development purposes as well as destruction purposes -- on the nature that God has created and given into our hands. Science is like a sword which can be used to establish a kingdom or to fight against it. God's kingdom is from everlasting to everlasting.

History is an incomplete recording of the actual happenings, which may appear differently from different perspectives. It will never exhaust so long as there is time.

So, Religion, Science and History are right in their own places, having nothing to do with one's foolish thoughts against God.

24. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 12 years ago

Less and less as time goes on. It's the arrogance and certainty that so many religious people display, while proclaiming some kind of moral superiority and gentleness of spirit, based on *their* faith in a higher spirit.

For example, here's an out take from one of your respondents right here, "Atheist is a fool who is so proud and arrogant that he questions God, does not respect even his parents and forefathers, and doesn't care about life and its source."

Charming. Wonder which religion espouses that. Insulting generalisation, offensive language, ridiculous conclusions - all built on arrogant self-certainty. Not love. Not respect for one's fellow man. Certainly not proof.

If you choose to believe in imaginary friends, that's entirely your right, and I respect that. Please respect my right to choose not to believe.

You know what? if there is a God, he'd respect that.

25. profile image0
    mcals71posted 12 years ago

... and yet Jesus Christ attended the services at the local synagogues, He respected the Jerusalem Temple as His Father's House, and He exhorted his followers to observe the Law. Furthermore, at the Last Supper, He broke the bread and passed the cup of wine saying "This is my Body, this is My Blood... do this in remembrance of Me." Religion and Spirituality go hand in hand. We need Religion because we have a physical body, and we need Spirituality because we have a soul. The two are not separate and we must honor both by giving God our whole selves, not just our spirit.

26. Lorena Gondom profile image62
    Lorena Gondomposted 8 years ago

To me, religion means my past.
    To me, religion means division.
    To me, religion is so much more than wars and beliefs.

A lot of religious people ask me why I am so insistent in them "converting" (you don't convert to atheist, you go back to being one, you were born one). Its pretty simple, I am protecting myself and my loved ones.
    Today many muslims kill for the sake of their faith, but in the past so did the Jews and Christians. History repeats again and again, yet some chose to be blind. Religion means a lot to me, means danger and fear, means oppression.

I live by John Lenon's song, "Imagine", and I hope, someday we all become dreamers, the world would be so much better that way.

27. stas karimov profile image60
    stas karimovposted 7 years ago

Religion is the same thing  for all people on Earth! Religion is the path to freedom from suffering! If you love God then God will love you. If you serve God then God can take you to Paradise. There is no other way to get rid of suffering! Jesus does not know what is suffering. Nobody in the world does not know what is life without problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)