What do you think about dressing up pets? Cruel or HILARIOUS?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mpoche4 profile image79
    mpoche4posted 12 years ago

What do you think about dressing up pets?  Cruel or HILARIOUS?

2. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image85
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 12 years ago

I don't like it.  It's easy for a person to forget they've got their pet all wrapped up too hot....for an hour or longer.

3. Cardozo7 profile image60
    Cardozo7posted 12 years ago

I don't like it.
    For dogs with short hair probably it would be fine in cold winters, but even so...
    Some dogs can have mental problems with this..

4. rob_allen profile image70
    rob_allenposted 12 years ago

I don't like it, i think pets wouldn't want to be dressed in odd costumes or dress.

5. Ana Teixeira profile image60
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

Cruel and stupid. Animals come naturally prepared for all sorts of wheather... so you can't argue you're protecting them... in fact.. you are hurting them.. so.. totally stupid!

6. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

If people are serious about it - I'd say cruel. If they are just joshin' around - I'd say it's hilarious.

7. craftybegonia profile image61
    craftybegoniaposted 12 years ago

It all depends. When we lived in Kansas we saw a hairless dog advanced in years that was literally shaking from cold in the winter. If a little suit that was not uncomfortable and totally insulting could have been secured for such a pet, i think it would even be humane. Making fun of animals is kind of cruel, especially if they love and trust you. Now trying to make them comfortable with the weather, that's another story!

8. wonderingwoolley profile image57
    wonderingwoolleyposted 12 years ago

I think it can be cute, so long as you don't take it to the extreme. Dress them up, take their picture to document the cuteness and then let them out of the outfit. I think people who want/force their pets to be continually dressed up don't understand the value of a pet and the pet-human relationship. Overall I'm in favor of being kind to the pet, not frustrating them for my own happiness.

9. mpoche4 profile image79
    mpoche4posted 12 years ago

I will admit I have dressed my pets up before but only for about five minutes to take a picture- they don't like it though so I haven't done it in a while. I agree that it is silly to keep them in an outfit all the time because they are miserable and yes that is cruel.

However what about if you live in colder climates?  Is anyone opposed to a scarf when it is snowing or booties in the snow?

10. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I honestly think it's cruel! It has been shown that dressing up pets causes them a great deal of stress and in many cases discomfort as well. They can also develop skin conditions and rashes due to the fabrics. I've seen folks put hats on their dogs at Christmas etc. for a couple of minutes to get a photo, I don't think that's cruel, just a bit of harmless fun. But the one's that keep their pets in 'clothes' on a daily basis are being very cruel!

Dogs, cats etc. are beautiful enough the way nature made them, they should be left that way. If special garments are needed for health reasons - for older dogs in winter, special shoes for the search & rescue dogs to protect their paws and so on - then of course that's okay. But otherwise it's cruelty.

11. santos88 profile image70
    santos88posted 12 years ago

I think for the most part it isn't necessary, although there are some exceptions. For example, my chihuahua Apple has very, very thin fur and gets cold extremely easily. He is small as well (6 lbs) so sometimes a sweater is necessary. In the winter time, he gets so cold going outside to pee that he needs that protection to even walk out the door, much less relax enough to use the bathroom. I don't think that dressing up pets is cruel as long as the pet is comfortable, still active, and does not change behavior when in the clothes. I think at any sign of discomfort, irritation, slightest annoyance, etc, the clothes should be taken off the dog. The feeling of clothes can cause feelings of anxiety and fear in some pets. Apple's companion, Boo Boo is a chihuahua mix and he got very stressed when we first tried to put clothes on him, so he can't wear clothes or even harnesses.

Again, I think it is okay when necessary like in the winter or maybe in cold air conditioning, but I don't want to see some pug running around in 75 degree weather with a t shirt on. Dogs don't care what they look like, they just want to run, play, and not get their arm stuck inside their shirt in the middle of chasing a squirrel.

12. JoshuaThePost profile image72
    JoshuaThePostposted 12 years ago

I have a spaniel-min pin mix and he gets so cold, I got him some clothes to stay warm this winter and man he got angry . . He  turned into Kujo and I could barely get it off him . . . . Teeth showing, eyes all red - it was awful

My vote, cruel. They don't wear clothes in nature, why force it?

13. robie2 profile image78
    robie2posted 12 years ago

I don't think it is cruel or hilarious-- I think it is downright stupid-- the pets don't like it either.  I think they know how dumb they look :-)  Mostly it is done to amuse humans so if you like it, go for it-- but don't think that the animal is enjoying it.

14. Arya Leatrice profile image60
    Arya Leatriceposted 12 years ago

Most pets usually don't need clothes. However there are times were it can actually help them. In some places where the outside temperatures  get cold and your pet is usually an inside pet, they actually might need that sweater to help keep them warm when you take them out for a walk. I don't find dressing pets as either cruel or hilarious. The two questions you should ask yourself before dressing up your pet is do they like clothes? Do they really need clothes? After considering these questions it’s up to you to make the logical decision about dressing up your pet.

15. JKenny profile image88
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I don't particularly like it myself, as I think its like treating the pet like a doll or teddy bear. On the other hand you can make a case for the Sphynx Cat, must be terrible for them to be hairless.

16. RGNestle profile image79
    RGNestleposted 12 years ago

I think it should be a capital offense. Especially when people dress their animals up like bride and groom.

Besides, that's what kids are for.

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)