Why does exercise make me feel more tired in general?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

Why does exercise make me feel more tired in general?

Why does exercise make me feel more tired, during and after exercise and in general, rather than more energetic, fit, "runner's high", etc.?

2. EZFITNESS profile image60
    EZFITNESSposted 12 years ago

Normally , when exercising you will get tired ,But after you should feel very energetic  have you had a check up lately,  ( vitamins )...!!

1. AlexK2009 profile image85
      AlexK2009posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand it takes between 15 hours and 36 hours to recover from a workout. 15 hours if it is something you do regularly and 36 if  you have shocked your body. If you want  to exercise every day it may be best to alternate heavy and light exercise

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Exercise depletes the body of energy, and if you aren't eating properly before and after to replenish nutrients and feed muscles, it's easy to wind up feeling tired.  You might want to work with a nutritionist or fitness trainer for a month or two to educate yourself and develop an exercise program that works better for you.

4. Coyoterainmaker profile image61
    Coyoterainmakerposted 12 years ago

Laura..I see from your profile that you work as a communications consultant, does that mean you work for a corporate or self employed? Either way there is pressure attached to this profession and perhaps long hours.

You will be given lots of advice from other hubs about nutrition and your exercise program and all will have their merits. I also see that apart from hiking and your dog, most of your past times are sedentary which along with the type of work you do may have consequences for what sort of exercises you do. If you had a personal trainer they would certainly look at your lifestyle.

As a 62 year old personal trainer still involved in the business, I can only put my longevity down to finding tai chi exercise and shiatsu therapy 12 years ago after a life time in contact sports. I don't know what your sessions consist of, but you appear to have a very earthy home life but a pressured work life. This can lead to an imbalance in your kidney energy (water meridian) which can affect energy adversely.

Why not look at Tai chi/yoga and try to incorporate a therapy/massage into your life as a way to balance and align your body? I'd be interested in hearing about the qulaity of your sleep.

5. lupine profile image64
    lupineposted 12 years ago

Dear Laura,
    You may be feeling more tired in general because of your "attitude" toward exercise. You may be thinking about how tired you are even before you start. Your thoughts have a lot to do with your physical being. Think positive and start slow, about 10 to 15 minutes. Do proper breathing. If you do strenuous exercise, with weights, your muscles need a day or two to get back to normal (to repair). Eat properly to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables...this will energize your body at the "cellular" level which provide energy and very hydrated cells..no amount of water you drink will do this.

6. profile image0
    Dr Shehaposted 12 years ago

What is the type of your exercise?
    If you want to feel more energetic and fit, you shouldn't exercise, for example, by trying to run 5K in just 15 minutes. This is training not exercise. Instead, you may try brisk walking. This is more effective.
    I want to explain something, the main factor is how you deal with your energy production and expenditure. Your body has a limited ability to metabolize food to produce energy. So, you should produce as much energy as you could from your limited metabolism.
    Do you know that if you manage your breathing well, so that there is enough oxygen in your blood for aerobic metabolism, you can produce many folds greater energy than that produced by Anaerobic metabolism. So, if you exercise while trying to manage your breathing well, you can be fit while keeping your energy.

7. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

In the long term exercise does give you more energy.  People that exercise regularly have more energy than people that don't.  I have a lot more energy than people I know that don't exercise very often.  However exercise uses up a lot of energy and strains your muscles.  That is why you feel weak and tired during and after exercise. 

If you want to feel relaxed and energized try tai chi, qigong or yoga.  When I do tai chi or qigong I have more energy when I am done.  My experience with yoga is limited but some yoga poses make you feel more energetic.  That is why it is often done in the morning.  Most of the time I exercise at night when I don't have anything important to do afterwards.  I can exercise until I am really tired and then rest while watching TV.

8. teresapelka profile image79
    teresapelkaposted 11 years ago

Change your exercise. You could try my routine, it's in one of my hubs, 'Don't kill yourself - exercise'.

9. profile image0
    dashingmeposted 11 years ago

Do it slowly not rigid, just like me I have low stamina I get easily tired. What I did on my everyday routine exercise is zumba for 15 mins until such days you get used to it make it 30 mins until 1 hour. You can find zumba videos in youtube I dont go to gym because I prefer at home. I dont force my self to do it in a long hours as I get tired so I do it everyday in a certain period of time. After getting used to it I did hiking on the mountains halfway then the next day I made it on the top. After getting used to it I did the jogging everymorning for 15-30 mins with my husband. Its easy and fun this way, Sometimes exercise makes me bored so I alternate my routine as possible.

10. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 10 years ago

Be sure to eat a good healthy breakfast including protein, and then for whatever time you workout, be sure to eat just a little protein about 1/2 hr. before (even a few almonds or 1/2 protein bar will do); then after you workout, eat within 1 hr. of your workout, and again, it doesn't have to be a big meal, but be sure to include protein, which is important during every meal and snack time. Suggestions: a little hummus and whole grain crackers; grapes and some lowfat cheese, handful of nuts. And before you workout, drink 1/2 bottle of water to hydrate, and sip a little water in between exercises.

11. profile image49
    CarlSaimonposted 10 years ago

I guess if you excessive exercise at a time , or your physical exercise methods is wrong .

12. My Bell profile image95
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

Exercise usually always give me energy and a really intense cardio workout will give me that "runner's high". The exception is when I'm over-trained (over do the workouts). This will leave me wiped out. The same thing happens if I'm not feeling that well or I'm about to become sick. I can remember too that when I first began workout regularly, years ago, exercise was very tiring.

13. syfsupps profile image60
    syfsuppsposted 7 years ago

I agree with Raye. I have tried feeling that way too before and one of the reasons that I have learned is not eating the proper diet or not getting the right nutrients that I needed before working out. Because when we work out, we release more energy and if your body didn't have enough nutrients to produce those energy, you end up feeling tired or dizzy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)