How do you get motivated to write?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. KarenCreftor profile image83
    KarenCreftorposted 12 years ago

How do you get motivated to write?

I know this sounds silly but I LOVE writing~ especially on here~ and have a whole list of articles to write, but I still find it difficult to actually set myself down and get into it. I have had long-term bad-health which doesn't help (especially as it affects my concentration levels) but I'd like to push through and get out of this bad habit!
    How do you get over procrastination? Do you have any particular methods?

2. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

I ended up writing a hub about it. Thanks for the inspiration to write! I'll probably have the hub published by tomorrow.

3. KarenCreftor profile image83
    KarenCreftorposted 12 years ago

Thanks Laura I look forward to reading it!

~Kaz x

4. SylviaSky profile image93
    SylviaSkyposted 12 years ago

I used to have a tough time motivating myself until I became about 45 years old and realized I had less time on earth than before to indulge my doubts or laziness. Mortality is a great motivator! But if you are in poor health don't knock yourself out. Writing is very hard work and concentration is not optional. Write 30 minutes a day and you will eventually get to your goal.

5. profile image0
    kate-olsonposted 12 years ago

I just started taking a creative writing class. It's lots of fun! It's already helped me get over some mental hurdles about writing. I've learned to think of writing as an art. For some reason, that takes all the pressure off and creates freedom. Have you ever (perhaps when you were a child) sat down with a paintbrush or pencils and a blank sheet of paper, just gave yourself the freedom to put anything on the page? I found that writing comes so much easier when I think about it like that.
    If you have a local college, consider taking a fun writing class. You will meet interesting people. There's an 80ish year old lady in my class!! You will have a group of people to be your friends and critics. They might show you their writing, too. Writing is so much more fun when it's not a solitary art. Having a face-to-face audience is very motivational.

6. Cory909 profile image59
    Cory909posted 12 years ago

That is an amazingly difficult question!  I really don't get motivated to write.  I love to write and it seems that once I start, I can't stop.  Anything I experience in my life seems to prompt me to write.  I don't always act on it, but when I have the chance to, I always enjoy it.  As far as the procrasination, I've not found a cure.  When procrastination becomes and issue with something that I enjoy doing, I almost sense it as a sign to just stop for a while until the urge to do it is so strong that procrastination isn't an issue.  If a person wants to do something bad enough they find time and a way  to do it.  If a person is having to force themselves to do something that they love, they may need to rethink their motivation all together.  God bless ya!

7. profile image57
    Alisonburgessposted 12 years ago

I too am a procrastinator who loves to write.  I have my own blog and it took me forever to write my first post and then to continue trying  to post  on  a daily basis.  I had to sit down and think why was I postponing the launch of my blog.  I came to the conclusion that I also suffer from low self-esteem.  Nothing I wrote was going to be good enough so I just didn't write.  After I figured that part of myself, I decided to just write.  Not everyone is going to like it but at least it is out there and the more I write the better I get at it.  I like to keep pen and paper by me at all times and write topics to write about when they cross my mind and sometimes I will pick from them or if something is nagging at me I will write about that.  I have also invested in some writing prompt books so that I can learn to write about things that I need to write about, not just because I like the topic.  I still have my down days but so far my methods seem to be helping me.

8. profile image0
    KatrineDalMonteposted 12 years ago

Hi Kaz, I have hubs on procrastination and motivation if you like to read :-)

9. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

A great piece of art....thoughtful piece of writing...a special person I meet on my travels or a magnificiet view or a humble sight...all from nature inspire me every day and all the time...my head is full of ideas, the only thing I miss constantly is time....

10. ThatYossarian profile image60
    ThatYossarianposted 12 years ago

I've found that Johnny Walker tends to work wonders.

Seriously, though, if the procrastination becomes too bad, I stop and reevaluate the topic. If I really wanted to write about something, would I be putting it off until tomorrow? For me, the best answer sometimes is to put aside the topic, and find something that I really want to dive into.

11. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I always have plenty of ideas. Sometimes too many because I have a hard time focusing on one at a time. Also I get distracted here on hubpages tracking my numbers and reading questions and answers and hub hopping. I think Alisonburgess had a good point too, I think I have doubts that other people will want to read what I write. When my pageviews drop off, I think what's the point.

But I find if I just close out the internet, open a blank page, choose one of my topics that's been percolating, and start typing, the words will begin to flow. I can always edit and get rid of the trash, there's usually a kernel of something there that I can develop. It's been said that the longest journey begins with a single step.

12. psk09 profile image60
    psk09posted 12 years ago

Karen, I had a serious motivation problem too when it comes to writing. For me, the fix was teaming up with my father-in-law who loves writing and doesn't suffer from motivational issues. So we both do aspects we love and work great together.

Laura, thanks for your hub. Appreciate it!

13. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 12 years ago

My muse comes to me at different times of the day and night. I just try to be aware the she is in the room.

14. Sarah Bolluyt profile image61
    Sarah Bolluytposted 12 years ago

I've found that if you attach a ritual to the creative process, it makes the start much easier - automatic, even.  For example, when I am preparing to write, I always:  turn on my computer, set a pot of coffee brewing, pour a cup, bring it to my desk, and sit down at my computer to write. This simple ritual puts me in the mood to write, and the ritual combined with the caffeine jolt gives me a jump start on writing.  Hope this helps!  smile

15. DIYmyOmy profile image69
    DIYmyOmyposted 12 years ago

My problem is the opposite: forcing myself to do anything *other* than write!

16. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

I find distractions of any kind are a deterrent to motivation.  The TV has to be off and the phones have to be unplugged or turned off.  A cold coming on, an extra-large utility bill looming, or prepations for a must-keep appointment are all distractions that make motivation to write go out the window.  Having a deadline will kill it, too, which is why I never became a newspaper reporter or columnist! ;D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)