What are your thoughts on the new Illinois law making it a felony to video an ar

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

What are your thoughts on the new Illinois law making it a felony to video an arrest?

This law went into effect ahead of Chicago's G8 summit - where there tends to be a lot of protests.  It also, in my opinion, is a threat to our constitution and freedom.  Why should it be a felony to video record evidence of police brutality? or an arrest in general? - I mean if the police are just doing their jobs - why should it matter if someone records them.  If the police are engaged in brutality or false arrest etc. doesn't having the ability to video them benefit the citizens?  I am very alarmed and appalled by this and Obama's recent signing of the NDAA - this path is scary.

2. xerxes iam profile image61
    xerxes iamposted 12 years ago

Its hideously appaling, glad i dont live in that state. In my home state of Washington. We've had many cases involving both audio and video recording of our glorious public servants. Let's just say, the subjects, got their panties in a bunch, but were told to go to lunch, with the rulings from our justices. Now this issue has become a RIGHT bestowed upon our citizens. Eventhough, every now and then, the children in blue still need their little hands smacked, to remind them of what the law is.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Gestapo comes to mind.

4. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

It's ridiculous!  If law enforcement is following policy, then they have nothing to worry about.  I fully support our law enforcement officers.  Their's is a very difficult and dangerous job that often requires tough decisions be made in a split second.  Sometimes there can't be a resolution where everyone is happy. That said, these officers understood that when they were sworn in and should be held to a high standard of ethics and performance.

It is the right and responsibility of the citizenry to hold their government and its agents (law enforcement) accountable.  This seems to me to be a clear violation of our rights.  I wonder if it will be appealed?  It should be.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

Just get ready.  There will, no doubt, be a rise in unprofessional conduct by police officers.

6. justmesuzanne profile image85
    justmesuzanneposted 12 years ago

It's unconstitutional and along the same lines as laws attempting to prevent videos of animal abuse in factory farms and slaughterhouses. The police department just wants to be able to do whatever they want whenever they want with nothing in the way. It needs to be stopped!

7. AngelTrader profile image60
    AngelTraderposted 12 years ago

What you describe isn't a law but a statute you can either 'consent' to or not. Nobody on this planet has the 'Right' or the 'Authority' to tell anybody else what to do WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT...this is an incontestable FACT. We are governed by CONSENT and we are policed by CONSENT. It all comes down to the good old Maritime Admiralty Law, legalese talk and how what you believe to be straightforward English is anything but.

Take the Police for instance...they have no right whatsoever to ask for your name, details...in fact anything at all if you do not give them consent. But they will bully and cajole you into unwittingly consenting by giving up the information they demand. When they ask you...'Do you understand' they are entering a contract with you, if you say 'yes' you have unwittingly agreed to 'Stand Under' and abide by whatever they decide. Never, ever say yes but question them.

The Common Law or Law of the Land is what mankind has made...they are universal, unchangeable based entirely on Common Sense! They are applied by Courts, called Courts de Jure (of Justice) and are set before a jury of 12. What we have happening all over the world however is something completely different.

This action in Illinois is in fact a STATUTE. Statutes are the legislated rules of societes created by Parliaments and Congresses to suit themselves. Like Common Law mankind also makes them but in this instance a select, self serving group changes them in accordance with its own desires, wishes, wants, needs depending on the situation...hence this 'unlawful' statute regards filming.

Cases brought about through statutes appear at a court of commerce, not law.

To be honest I'll just turn this answer into a hub...

8. Compliance Doctor profile image62
    Compliance Doctorposted 11 years ago

If I were any ethnic background other than white, I would be gravely concerned about this new law.  Having lived in Chicago for several years, I saw the corrupt law enforcement as it was then.  I can only imagine how it is now, the mere fact that this was brought before the state to make a law, this is alarming enough for me to want to move from this state profound.  To video tape anything that positions the victim in a position of control, this is healthy to keep crime and corruptness at a minimum.  It's like the picture story board I love so much...imagine this, "a high school teacher looses his cool with a student and pulls back his hand as if he was about to slap the student in the face...but right before he makes the slap, he looks around and sees all thirty students observing this behavior with their camera phones and about to snap the picture or video any second, a true loaded gun".  Now we know that slap never happened.  This can be applied to any form of inappropriate behavior, a brilliant display of needing to think before action is taken.

9. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Then it needs to be challenged to the Supreme Court. This is the precursor to a Gestapo like police force. Police forces are hiring trigger happy, White, racist psychopaths who are killing people out of incompetence or for personal gratification. They need to be photographed and videotaped in the act, whether they are doing the right thing or not. The police need to realize that someone may take a video that will help them in court. Above anything else, this is a constitutional free speech issue.

10. andrew savage profile image57
    andrew savageposted 11 years ago

It is a blatantly obvious breach of the first amendment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)