Do you tithe as God's word encourages us to? A 10% off the top?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Saintatlarge profile image76
    Saintatlargeposted 12 years ago

Do you tithe as God's word encourages us to? A 10% off the top?

Did you know that only 5 - 7 % of evangelical Christians follow this Biblical principle! Do you think that this could be a huge reason as to why much of the prayers of the believers are NOT being answered, and many are sick, diseased, dead, or in debt?

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

I think....many are "weak and sickly....and many sleep" (1 Corinthinans 11:30) because they fail to remember the Love that prompted Jesus to go to the Cross.  It isn't talking about money, it's talking about the communion ritual. That's made clear in the preceding verses.  (Actually, it's saying it should not be just a ritual, but a fervent symbol of the depth of that Love).
    As far as tithing, there's a lack of legitimate church leadership to tithe to, in both the Catholic Churches and Protestant ones!  Who can trust the pockets into which our tithes go?  'Twasn't so in Biblical times, I think;  the Church (the disciples who followed Jesus) was new and purer and not so subject to fraud from every corner.  So we do have a quandry there.   I honestly think the reason people are in debt is because they (we) aren't handling our finances properly with integrity.   If we get our act together in personal finances, then yes we should be able to find the right place to which a portion of our increase should go.   ....I don't think the Lord still requires a strict 10 percent.   There's a Scripture somewhere that says we should give from our increase, meaning from our profit, which could be less than 10 percent or more than that.     I'll try to find it.  Maybe you can help find it?

3. outastep99 profile image73
    outastep99posted 12 years ago

How much should one Tithe? Should we Tithe off the top of our income or after take home? This is a question that many Christians think about. We live in a different time than they did 2000 years ago and yet you would get different answers about... read more

1. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

tithe is only required of jews and so called christians that practice any part of the law.   tithe was on increase only never on money.  the tithe could only be received by a levite.    under the new there is no tithe.  anyone taking tithe is a thief

4. Juliek958 profile image60
    Juliek958posted 12 years ago

I don't give a strict 10% to the church.  I do give to my church.  I also give to various charities with my money and my heart and my body.  In my mind helping to feed and clothe the poor and less fortunate is the same.  Yes, money comes out of my paycheck to go directly to my church but I also buy a mosquito net for someone in a high malaria region of the planet out of each check.  I donate money and time each week at a food pantry.  I send a check once a month to my local animal rescue group.  If all that is added up, it is much more than 10% of that bi-monthly check.

5. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Encourages is the operative word here.

Tithing is not specified in the NT, mainly because it was the law, and in the Kingdom, 100% of what we possess belongs to God.

Tithing in modern churches has become a tax, and like most tax, more of it is spent in administrating the tax yield than in using it for the purpose it was intended, in the NT we are charged with caring for the homeless, dispossessed, widow and orphans, prisoners and all others in need.

If believers follow those instructions, it may well cost them more than 10% that the Levite priests were entitled to, or even the 22% which was the full tithe when you took into account all the sections of it, but even if it does not reach those levels of expenditure, the blessing is in the doing, not the cost.

Prayers are not being answered mainly because we have forgotten how to pray for what God wants, and have taken to petitioning for what WE want.

In countless prayer meetings I have attended I have heard soulish prayer and often needed to cite scripture to alleviate the almost witchcraft element that can start spouting out when groups get together.

Prayer is a private and personal aspect of our walk with God, corporate prayer is not seen in scripture.

A solemn assembly being called is, private prayer and fasting is, but prayer groups whipping up emotional prayer requests which may or may not fall in line with Gods will as demonstrated in scripture is not.

Sickness, disease, death, and debt are by-products of not trusting God to guide you in your life. Unfortunately faith does not always equate to trust, and without trust, we turn to other options, which will normally result in one of the above.

Good question!

6. MadWhiteWaitress profile image59
    MadWhiteWaitressposted 12 years ago

Malachi 3:10 the Lord says this: "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."
    This is the only time in the bible that we find God asking us to really test him.  We are not to test God, and He makes this clear very often, but this one area is so important and crucial that God openly allows us to test him and see what happens.
    Tithing, however, is not as most people think solely about money.  Tithing means 10% of what you possess.  The first 10% of our money, our love, our time, our resources, whatever we can think to offer up to God.  After all, it's already his anyway, and he's untrusted us with it, if we can't be trusted with such a small portion, why would He give us more?  None of us are perfect, and it's deffinately something that needs to be constantly worked on, as with all areas of our lives, however I have found that my family and I have been faithfully tithing since we've been saved 2 years ago, and God always upholds his protection over us.  We aren't rich by any means, and a lot of times we are barely making it, but we have never lost our house, we always have food to eat, and clothes on our backs.  I honestly and truely believe God will honor those who honor him smile

7. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

No. Tithing was of the Mosaic law. It had absolutely nothing to do with money and was a requirement on landowner farmers only. The tithe was a yearly event to collect the necessary resources for Israel to celebrate the lord. It was never a regular income for the priesthood and tithing of money was strictly forbidden. Fishermen and carpenters never tithed. Jesus never tithed, nor did the apostles or early Church. The Christian money tithe is unbiblical and was invented by the church I the 6 th century.

Abraham did give a tenth but only on two occasions, which were out of the spoils of war. How therefore can this be reinterpreted to mean Christians give a tenth of their regular salaries?

God explicitly defined the purpose and rues of tithing in the mosaic law, so what gives the Church the authority to redefine God's rules and turn the tithe into something completely different?

8. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I slacked off last year. I thought to myself, welp, I'll just use some of my little tithing money to pay some bills over here, use some of my tithing money to get some personal things over there...and it won't make a difference!

It does!! The funny thing about tithing is that when you give, you get more!! THAT'S THE IRONY OF GOD'S ECONOMY!

Tithing, with consistency, is important. I also heard the concept expressed in another way: "God wants to be in control of your heart, your mind, and YOUR WALLET!"

It's a way to show you have faith in Him concerning EVERY aspect of your life.

9. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

That means only 5-7% are guilty of that sin   awesome
    first a tithe was not off the top it was on the INCREASE only

titheing is not a new testament concept.    and even it it was 99% of ministers do not qualify to receive a tithe.    The tithe was only for the tribe of Levi and no one else could receive it    It was part of the law which is no longer in effect as Jesus fulfilled it thereby making it void and of no use.
    In the old testament men owned everything and they were to give offerings and tithes for special reasons in certain manners in appreciation of blessings..   The tithe was instituted for the tribe of Levi because they could not own anything, God was their possession so to speak.   The tithe passed with the law,   
    The new testament principle is God owns it all and we are And we are to use it as God speaks to you.   I have had to give money to people that i did not want to and have not been allowed to give to some that i wished to.
    If you are titheing you are being disobedient and wasting God's money  or at least usurping His authority to say how , when, where, how and to use it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)