Parents of boys. Do you teach your son the act of chivalry?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. missolive profile image61
    missoliveposted 12 years ago

Parents of boys. Do you teach your son the act of chivalry?

Is chivalry a lost form of etiquette?

2. billybuc profile image84
    billybucposted 12 years ago

My son is twenty-seven now and we just went to the store and held the door open for a woman entering behind him....yes, he was taught chivalry, as I was.

3. Jessi10 profile image67
    Jessi10posted 12 years ago

Teaching the act of chivalry is simply teaching boys manners. Boys learn how to act differently than girls, based on what parents teach them. As a parent of a boy, I simply teach my son whats expected of him (for his age) and what isn't.

4. roxanne459 profile image80
    roxanne459posted 12 years ago

Absolutely! I have two boys ages 9 and 11 and we teach them to open doors, stand when a lady leaves the table, no abnoxious body noises or bad language around ladies etc. They love they positive attention they get when use their manners so it isn't hard to enforce them at all.

5. proudmamma profile image82
    proudmammaposted 12 years ago

I don't know if I would call it chivalry or just manners and respect. When my sixteen year old had a girlfriend, I was very proud of him. I noticed he would open doors, and even pull out her chair for her. I was very impressed and beamed with PRIDE!

6. CeLestialCameo profile image82
    CeLestialCameoposted 12 years ago

I have to agree with what seems to be the general consensus here that chivalry is the same as just plain good manners and respect for others or at least a form of these concepts. My 16 year old is prone to saying "Excuse me", holding doors open for everyone when we are out and about and in general showing respect for others whether they reciprocate or not. Yes, I have certainly taught him that not just through my words, but via my actions. He certainly did not learn it from his father. Ha ha Those are just my thoughts. By the way, good for the other moms with answers here for teaching chivalry and good manners!

7. petenali profile image80
    petenaliposted 12 years ago

My two sons  fully understand chivalry, however what saddens me most is that on countless occasions they have held open doors for middle aged ladies at the mall without said ladies saying a word of thanks. Chivalry may well die completely if rudeness and ingratitude continue to escalate.

8. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

You are brave to give a platform to a PROUD mother of four adult sons.....I'm happy to be my obnoxious self when it comes to them........Their manners are impeccable...at all times and certainly "chivalry" is part of this.  I did focus on teaching them the importance of respect, and in the case of women, to be "gentlemen" and appreciate their value and nurturing nature. 
    I'll stop there or believe me, I'll go on for hours!  Nice question!

9. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

I taught my son to respect others and I am happy to say that he does this today willingly.  He has children now and he demonstrates and encourages them to follow his example.  He loves elderly people and knows that he can learn lots from their experience. He opens doors for others, remembers his Ps and Qs, etc. It's just nice to know that and see it in action.

10. annart profile image81
    annartposted 12 years ago

I'm so pleased to read the reactions to this question, though I must say that I'm surprised.  There seems to be a leaning in Britain which thinks that the equality of the sexes means men don't need to open doors etc. for women any more; this saddens me, though I hope it is still in the minority.  As others have said, it's down to manners and respect.  I'll hold the door open behind me for anyone, not let it shut in their face.  I'll open a door for a bloke if they're carrying something, or even if they're not, just to be nice and return the favour.  What do manners cost?  Nothing.  Or maybe they do - maybe a lack of manners costs us unkindness, disrespect, lowering of standards, to the extent that it may descend into rudeness or worse.  We all owe each other the respect of one human to another.  I am still one of those who believe that men are the stronger sex (and that doesn't mean better!) and I like it that way!  By the way, I don't have any sons but I'd teach them chivalry if I had - my grandson's a bit small yet (just 1!).

11. profile image57
    Mobetposted 12 years ago

First of all manners are very important and I am very happy to see everyones answers but you are not answering the question chivary is the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms I no this because my husband has taught this word and its meaning to united states soldiers for 20 years

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)