How important is teaching history to our children? How does it rank with other

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. hecate-horus profile image64
    hecate-horusposted 12 years ago

How important is teaching history to our children?  How does it rank with other school subjects?

I.E. is it the most important, least important, somewhere between math and english, etc?

2. luse profile image60
    luseposted 12 years ago

In my opinion, my knowledge of history (that which I learned at school) has served me most when speaking with people in general. As a journalist, the history I was taught at school has served me better than, say, mathematics. But I guess that would be different for different people.

History is very important. Not only as knowledge, but as conversation starters!

3. eneva profile image68
    enevaposted 12 years ago

Real history and geography, course sometimes people don't even know where those countires are and what kind of people live or lived in the world.
    When you learn history it's easy to understand our present time
    It's an important subject among the others.

4. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

I'd say it should be one of the top subjects, like reading, writing, arithmetic, then who you are and where you are from (history) and who everyone else is and where they are from...and why!  This is History.  It is our story.  It's vitally important.
    Maybe history and geography are the same subject too.
    Nice Q.

5. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 12 years ago

Math and English would be tied for top, since you have to communicate lucidly and manage figures to illustrate the importance of history, as well as using statistics to show historical realities.  History is crucial, as the adage goes, to prevent repetition of the same mistakes our predecessors made; although, that seems to be endemic to the human condition if people are willing to willfully suspend their disbelief when listening to politicians.  Let's go for a green salad and tea in the cafeteria!!

6. hecate-horus profile image64
    hecate-horusposted 12 years ago

Civil War Bob: Chai or Earl Grey?  Oh, I thought of another question!

7. T. R. Brown profile image60
    T. R. Brownposted 12 years ago

It is among the most important subjects.  We all share a collective history (good and bad) that made us who we are today.  The further we are removed from our shared heritage, the more separate we become.

8. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 12 years ago

I think history is among the most important subjects. People need to understand how we got where we are, and need to know about the horrible times in history so that (not be cliched) we do not repeat ourselves.

9. Erlz12 profile image60
    Erlz12posted 12 years ago

History is definitely important. I would still put math and english ahead, but history is definitely up there. The problem is, history is taught in a boring way, through the mere memorization of dates. Studying history is like reading a story; it should be more exciting. Instead of just focusing on the facts, I think history should be taught in such a way that it would resemble your favorite novel.

10. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

How useful or accurate is the history we learned in school? Why should we study history? read more

11. profile image0
    iamaudraleighposted 12 years ago

History teaches us everything!
    The constitution makes us who we are today
    We learn from it's tragedy
    We advance from what people started before us

12. networmed profile image58
    networmedposted 12 years ago

For me, it depends. Teaching history without emphasizing the value of it is nothing. But if you teach history with sincerity and emphasize how history shaped our world or country today, that would be a good way for children to be encourage to do what they love.

I'm not a teacher, but when I was in grade school, I can recall that most of the teachers were just reading what the book says. Without giving deeper insights how it history relates to our current situation, in terms of political and financial matters.

13. plaid pages profile image60
    plaid pagesposted 12 years ago

As an English or math teacher for the past 19 years, I weigh heavily on the "not as important" side.  However, there isn't ANY topic that I teach that isn't more interesting for students.  They read the historical accounts of past US wars like they are fiction.  They get "into" the characters. 

It's a win-win if you can incorporate history topics into the other subjects.

Do I think it's relevant to recite the Preamble?  No.
    Do I think it's necessary to know every date?  No.
    Do I think SOME history teachers kill the content?  Yep.

I think it's important to tell the stories, good and bad.

14. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I would say it is very important, especially as a way of thinking. Understanding complex causality, interdependence, and how to think through solutions to large problems is essential in today's world. A deep understanding of history, as choices within constraints and their consequences, is essential to solving problems in our lives - individually and socially - and to understanding and respecting ourselves and others. I cannot say it is more or less important that math or English, and science, plus an art and a sport - all are essential.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)