Why do people have issues with their mother-in-law?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 12 years ago

Why do people have issues with their mother-in-law?

I love my in-laws. I would never change a thing with our relationships. I dont understand why so many people have problems with their mother-in-law.

2. alahiker28 profile image87
    alahiker28posted 12 years ago

I wonder if it's because the relationship is usually founded with a defensive position.  Their son or daughter is getting married and on each side, there is a respective fear of losing time to the other.  Being a good mother-in-law takes a lot of patience and understanding, and it must come with a strong sense of security in her relationship with her child.  Things start breaking down when fears and insecurities step in.  And demise is certain when the sons/daughters start taking marital problems to mom. 

In short, it's a very dynamic relationship that depends on a lot of factors for all-around success.  Sounds like you have a strong balance of all the right stuff.

3. TheSmurf profile image41
    TheSmurfposted 12 years ago

well, my guess is that mother-in-laws want the best for their children, and the husband/wife want to stay with the partner, not its whole family.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

My mother-in-law has issues with me. She feels I control her son and I don't let him think for himself. She's overbearing and loves to guilt trip my hubby constantly. She tells him how important medication is for his ADHD (which has caused problems with his teeth among other things) and that she doesn't know why he isn't doing more with his life. She laughs at his beliefs and never takes him seriously about anything. I have a real issue with her because she treats my husband as a child, not the adult he is. Not everyone has wonderful in-laws. Consider yourself very lucky to have such a great relationship with them.

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Well, there are just some people that if they were you're mother-in-law, you would want to kill them. Think of a lady you dislike. I'm sure you know of one. For me there are too many to count. Luckily, my mother-in-law is not one of them. However, my mother-in-law does need a hit in the head every once in a while so she won't cheat on her boyfriend or stalk him again.

6. Mmargie1966 profile image84
    Mmargie1966posted 12 years ago

Do you get along with your mother-in-law?  Here are some helpful hints, and lots of giggles. read more

7. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

Where to begin.......First let me say I'm happy for you that you got a good one.

My EX mother in law once called me and told me she was the MONARCH of the family and that all holidays would be spent in her cabin up in the mountains.  That didn't work for me because I had my own mom.  I can see splitting the day up but I wasn't going to give up my family.

Then when we did go to the cabin in the woods she would stroke my husbands hair and shoulders and ask me if I was jealous?!  It made me sick!

Not normal, not normal at all.

8. YvetteParker profile image61
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Mothers, more so than fathers, tend to be very attached to our sons and have difficulty making the necessary adjustments to our relationships with our sons to adequately and peaceably make room for the new daughter. I've already told my youngest son, who is single, unattached, and will turn 22 in a couple of months, that his bride and I will be scrapping all the way down the aisle to the altar!!!! lol!!! O course, I wouldn't do that! I love my son too much to mistreat someone that he loved enough to call his wife. I had a wonderful mother-in-law (now deceased) who loved me and treated me like a daughter and will do the same for my future daughter when that time comes.

9. Sky9106 profile image64
    Sky9106posted 12 years ago

There should be no getting angry or getting away with the in laws basically the mother.
    Here is what, anyone who at first sight or first meeting don't like or can't get along  with the mother. That a huge red flag that anyone male or female, should see and immediately take care of.
    There will be none of that what soever. With serious and mature adults a, they can be no reason for it . The reason would be either of you not the mother.

I am glad that you got it momster. Growing up was your practice, and experience , no get it straight before bringing handsome or pretty home to mama. Save her that which you already know, maker mama the special lady she is booth of you. Come to mama with your understanding not you differences. She's not a referee.. 

When a person is giving you trouble, they are automatically going to give all around you trouble , because their approach won't be correct to your family, your family don't have control over that, When you are right everything about you is right. Then come with that glowing meaningful truth to mama.

Bless.

10. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image61
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years ago

It depends on the faith which comes from both sides.As these it is the combination of three words-mother-in-law if one takes it as a mother then life goes smooth and relationship bulids.When mother in-law tries to interfere in pitty issues of said couple no one feels good.

11. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

I have been lucky, I am gifted with the best mother in law ( and I mean it) in the whole wide world. My MOM( my mother in law) is like Mother Teresa. It is incredible. A lot of couples have mother in law issues, but my Mom( mother in law) is the best and I couldn't ask for more. She treats me like a real daughter who came from her womb and she already has 4 daughters (my sisters in law).she is a very amazing woman-and I am really proud to have her as my mother in law. Love you, MOM!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)