What is some advice for grandparents or other relatives who are raising their te

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Stephanie Henkel profile image91
    Stephanie Henkelposted 12 years ago

What is some advice for grandparents or other relatives who are raising their teenage grandchildren?

So many grandparents are raising their grandchildren these days. What is some good advice for grandparents or other relatives who are raising teenagers?

2. Anne Pettit profile image62
    Anne Pettitposted 12 years ago

Give them tasks that require competence such as properly pruning bushes, painting a room, cooking, or basic home repairs.  A teen that feels capable will be more able to hold his/her own under peer pressure.  Also, it wouldn't hurt for someone to have these sorts of skills around the house.

3. Rusti Mccollum profile image61
    Rusti Mccollumposted 12 years ago

I'd run as fast and go as far away I could. lol Seriously, I have a 15 year old. I think going places they'd like to go.LISTEN to them. Compromise with then. I gave all the kids rides we they wanted to go.Cell phones  are great for texting.
    Drill into your teenager that whatever party they go to,where there may be alcohol.Tell them it's okay to call home, You won't be angry and no questions asked. then you know your child is safe and going home, and not getting into a vehicle where there's a driver that has been drinking.Tell them you really don't want them to go to parties. Ask your self would you rather be the one that picks and may a friend or 2, and be safe. I would rather my son call me and not be dead in a wreck,  at these types of activity's.  I learned to not always say no.A teenagers all about trying to get away with something.

If the child does something illegal, they are going to jail and I'm taking him. I have a great son.He hangs out with me on the computers and his friends talk to me too. When you say NO teens take that as tough I'm doing it. I'm not saying let them run all over. They MUST follow the house rules. Always call or text them then give them 15minutes to respond. You would be surprised what happens when you talk to ta teen and don't school. Tell that child no matter what they do even wrong, talk to them, be interested in their day. Take the child to pizza and a movie with a  friend or two. Be a part of their life. I wish you well, and hope this helps .Best wishes.

4. LailaK profile image68
    LailaKposted 12 years ago

I am a teen myself and what I would love my grandparents to do is to listen to me when I talk. I would like them to acknowledge that being happy and cheerful all the time is something that no one does every minute of their lives. Finally, I would like them not to use "when I was your age..." as much because it makes feel me worthless to not be able to do as much as they did. This is a wonderful question, Stephanie! Thanks smile

5. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

I lived with my grandparents (both sets lived in the same town) for 2 separate summers as a teen and a young adult.  It was a great experience, although quite different than at my home.

I remember feeling like they would not discipline me as harshly because they usually "spoiled" me, and so frequently tested my boundaries.  A grandparent stepping into the role of parent to a teen grandchild will have to establish themselves differently with clear expectations and firm consequences.

As a teen, I learned that my grandparents had concerns about raising me that differed from my parents.  For example, my grandfather was really upset about me going for early morning exercise runs because he believed it was not safe.  My grandmother lived through the Depression and had values based strongly on "waste not, want not."  We all had some adjusting to do!

This is a fantastic question - you may have inspired me to write a hub!  Cheers, Steph

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)