How would you deal with these people?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. FlowOfThought profile image59
    FlowOfThoughtposted 12 years ago

How would you deal with these people?

In having conversations with people here, a number of them give up on an actual conversation, and start resorting to personal attacks, and things of that nature. Now, I have just been ignoring them, but as trolls do, they tend to keep coming back, normally I would fire back, but I fear for my hubs getting maliciously voted down, and as a result making my page look bad.

2. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

Long-time hubbers usually just ignore trolls and their inflammatory comments, which are only made to get the type of response that would result in the scenario you describe, that of having your hub voted down by the troll and his/her cronies.

If a particular troll (or troll group) is specifically targeting your hub or hubs, feel free to make a complaint to the HP Team, who have the option to block access from the person or persons.

However, YOU have the option of permanently deleting comments from trolls without having to make a formal complaint, and there's NO need to feel guilty when doing so since they aren't left to foster or enhance real discussion on your hub.

3. FitnezzJim profile image75
    FitnezzJimposted 12 years ago

In the time I've been on here, I've noted that Hubber Ghost32 seems to have a really good approach to dealing with those you describe.  He'll usually allow a comment like that from someone once, but with a warning that future comments of that sort will be deleted.  If the commenter crosses Hubs (he writes a lot), he'll sometimes delete the first occurrence on a Hub, again with a warning about it, and invite the more intelligent discourse that many of us here seek.
    If my recall is correct, Hubber Cardisa offers advice on a number of different topics like this.  As a HubPage Elite, I expect the advice she offers will be consistent with policies for the site.
    Ultimately though, how you handle it is mostly your choice, and will become part of who you are and how you're perceived within the HubPage community.

4. profile image0
    Gusserposted 12 years ago

I find this tactic used by the left here alot. Then they go & vote your hubs down. I delete any attacks against my commenters.

5. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

these are words on a computer and you can always make other hubs. this is for telling you view  on subject and I can't tell you to not taking getting voted down seriously for certain kind of people are going to vote you down any way so just don't let people that chances are YOU NEVER GOING TO MEET ruin you day.

6. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Are you talking trolls? They have hubs. If you are talking renegade avatars that hop around or lay in wait to catch the unsuspecting with their sticky tongues, those are forum frogs. I don't know what you do in Washington, but in Florida . . . we like to go frog gigging and make a meal of them.

7. Keith Engel profile image68
    Keith Engelposted 11 years ago

If this is a concern you always have the option of turning comments off as well.

8. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

If you don't want to fire back and don't want their comments littering your hub, you should delete them. You should not feel bullied into taking what the trolls need not dish. Speak your mind to them if you choose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)