Does alcohol make people aggressive or care less?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. KeithJK profile image61
    KeithJKposted 12 years ago

Does alcohol make people aggressive or care less?

2. jennzie profile image72
    jennzieposted 12 years ago

Alcohol does both; it makes particularly people who are shy more sociable because they don't care as much about what people think but it also make people more aggressive as it is easier to set a drunk person off compared to someone who is sober.

3. Amy Becherer profile image67
    Amy Bechererposted 12 years ago

Alcohol alters the brain by interfering with the communication process between the nerves and nerve receptors. Alcohol also depresses the central nervous system.  The nature of these alterations is seen in behavioral changes that vary from person to person.  There can be variances in the same person from one time to another, sometimes influenced by the mood of the person prior to drinking.  Generally, however, people who drink regularly develop a pattern of predictable intoxicated behavior, ranging from the well-known term of either a "happy" or "mean" drunk.  The theory in rehab today is that many alcoholics use alcohol to self-medicate, meaning they are trying to cope with negative emotions or feelings by using a substance to alter their feelings of anxiety, unhappiness or depression.  This past Sunday, during the memorial show for long-time journalist, Mike Wallace, his former co-workers highlighted some of Wallace's most memorable interviews.  One of Mike Wallace's favorite subjects was Johnny Carson.  During the interview, Carson admitted to Wallace that he "didn't handle alcohol well" and eventually had to give it up as he was not a friendly, happy person when he drank, but instead became surly and mean.

Most people enjoy the sensation of loosing up, relaxing and the buzz that comes with imbibing.   But even those that feel they are just cutting loose and having fun are altered, with decreased coordination and reaction time.  After a couple of drinks, it becomes more difficult to monitor impulse control and make careful choices.  At that point, people are likely to drink more and without a designated driver, try to drive themselves or others home.  With reduced capacity to make smart choices, the risk to themselves and others increases. 

With alcohol, carelessness is always part of the equation.  Whether an individual becomes aggressive, belligerant and obnoxious, or happy, laid back and sleepy, depends on their wiring.  One thing certain with alcohol is that no one is immune to the brain's reaction in an induced altered state.  If left to their own devices, inebriated individuals can hurt themselves or others.

4. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

It could cause both depending on the person.  It does different things to people.  Some get crazy and do silly things they would never do otherwise.  Although it may be funny to watch, it is never a good thing for anyone.

5. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 12 years ago

I think alcohol actually brings out the innermost truth of a person, in Australia they say "never trust a man who doesn't drink" and I think it's very true, alcohol reduces the inhibition of a person and the real them comes out, sometimes you will meet the nicest person you can imagine, sometimes people will break down in tears and sometimes unfortunately you will find someone truly unpleasant beneath the social mask they wear, racists or bigots for example.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

It affects different people different ways, for me it reduces my inhibitions and makes me more social and outgoing, usually I'm an introvert, sometimes it makes me stupid though, and I regret things I say when I've been drinking.

I know a guy that says it "ups animositys" and he always wants to fight when he's drunk. Normally he's pretty passive.

Does it make you more truthful? Some think it does, but I think it just reduces your self-control. It's not that that's your true feelings, just that's what was passing through your head at that moment, if you had stopped to consider it maybe that's not really what you'd think.

7. rahul0324 profile image77
    rahul0324posted 12 years ago

It certainly has different affects on people. For me.. it has never had a rash effect... always soothing!

Some of it makes me tender.

Some more of it makes me loving.

A little extra makes me droopy and a singer and the best friend of the world

A little over the top and I go straight to bed.

8. Angelme566 profile image60
    Angelme566posted 12 years ago

It depends on the responses of an individual , some when drunk are becoming hot , aggressive and hyper and some also if  drunk are just so silent , don't care about her partner or  to any other individual , like libido going down.

9. LanaLu profile image60
    LanaLuposted 12 years ago

Some people are very shy and anti social and when they drink they become more sociable and bolder. When I say "Bolder" I mean that alcohol alters the way a person think and allows them to act in a way that they would not in their normal state of mind. Depending on the person and their alcohol tolerance it is highly possible that alcohol can bring out the more aggressive side of a personality but then again it can also show people the flirty and outgoing side which was unknown.

One thing about alcohol that is very important to remember is that it does not erase any problems, it might make a person forget for a short wile. And if people drink socially then learning how to have control over the amount of intake will make a large statement about the individuals character because no person wants to be known as the angry drunk or the sloppy drunk...

10. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 12 years ago

Both.  I know that my dad, who was an alcoholic, was just a regular guy, until that one drink, and then it went from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde -pretty scary!  Then I've seen others, who, after drinking alcohol, become so passive and wanting to love on everyone.

11. candicemarks987 profile image62
    candicemarks987posted 11 years ago

Yes they really make a person aggressive. In addiction to this some people feel like they are the king of the work when they are under the influence and their perception of the reality is altered. Visit a substance abuse programs (http://addiction-rehab-treatment.net/dr … -programs/)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)