Would you still tip in a non-tipping country?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. WebsiteConfetti profile image59
    WebsiteConfettiposted 11 years ago

Would you still tip in a non-tipping country?

If you are from a country where tipping  is the norm, would you still tip when traveling to a non-tipping country? I'm from Australia and tipping is not the norm at all, although I tend to tip when eating out if I like the service and if places have tip jars I generally contribute.

When I worked in retail I was tipped $10 and was actually uncomfortable by it and wasn't sure If it was rude to refuse it or not.

2. easycashonline profile image61
    easycashonlineposted 11 years ago

Tipping has nothing to do with the country you are visiting, it has everything to do with you. Inquiring whether it is right to tip in a non tipping country is similar to asking whether it is right to lend hand to a drowning man when no one else cares. Always do what seems right to you wherever you travel. Only make sure it does not contravene the law

WebsiteConfettiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi easycashonline, thanks for your comment and feedback, I appreciate it, although I do disagree with your analogy, the two are different in my opinion. In my example, I felt uncomfortable with being tipped, as its just not whats common practice here

3. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

If the establishment dont add a service charge in the bill.  I will tip a little amount if the service is only norm (I know they appreciate it.).  If the service is extra ordinary I usually tip double my usually tip.

thanks for your comment cebutouristspot. I dont think Australian restaurants have inbuilt service charges (i could be wrong), however from my understanding the basic rate of pay and overtime is higher than in tipping countries, which I guess is why t

2. cebutouristspot profile image78
      cebutouristspotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tipping is the customer option.  If you get good service it just your way of saying thank you. 
      In my country the basic pay sucks some establishment dont even pay the minimum wage.  smile

4. janthepoet profile image59
    janthepoetposted 11 years ago

If you are very happy with the service you have been given then why not tip? I have felt uncomfortable receiving a tip but hey if it is given freely and in good faith then smile and say thankyou.I will tip the barber/hairdresser if I think they have done a good job and charge a sensible price to start with.

Hi Janthepoet thanks for your answer.

5. Traqqer profile image66
    Traqqerposted 11 years ago

No, I would not. Look at it this way....if you are in France, would you go out of your way to speak english to a French person? If you knew nothing of the French language, you would have to - you have no choice. But usually, you would try to learn some French and also try to learn some of their customs as well. Respect other countries' habits/norms and they should do the same here as well. If the norm is not to tip, then don't tip. Why is that so hard to follow? Forget about what you may be feeling inside...just do what the norm/customs suggest. I know I sould a little rude, so, I'll apologize for that.

Hi Traqqer, thanks for your comment it doesn't sound rude at all, just honest.

6. novascotiamiss profile image71
    novascotiamissposted 11 years ago

Yes, a small tip reflects your satisfaction. E.g. in Switzerland the service charge is included in restaurant prices but if you are happy with the friendly service you usually round off the amount.

thanks for your answer novascotiamiss

7. jblais1122@aol profile image68
    jblais1122@aolposted 11 years ago

I would, and I have.  I have traveled a bit and have tipped in customarily non tipping countries and situations if the service warranted.  I've worked in tipped positions and know that it is appreciated.  Good service deserves a good tip.  Great service deserves a great tip. 
    On the other hand, poor service should be pointed out even if it is in the form of the tip given.  One has to be careful in that respect, though.  I've worked in the kitchen and the service bars.  Servers have a tendency to get even, usually involving the contents of your food or drink.  If you are going to criticize a server, or the chef, do so after you are done with your food and drink.

Hi jblais1122, thanks for your answer. I never ever complain about my food, I'm too scared that they will get even as you say!

8. Availiasvision profile image80
    Availiasvisionposted 11 years ago

When I studied abroad in Ireland I was told that people don't tip there because the waiters make tons of money as their base pay.  Their minimum wage is also way higher.  Here in the USA their base pay is under $5, last I checked.  SO if you don't tip well then they aren't even coming out making minimum wage.  Just to be safe I always tip.  When it's a non tipping country I don't do 10-25% like in the US.  Usually only a couple bucks.

Thanks for your answer

9. Sheena Hayes profile image60
    Sheena Hayesposted 11 years ago

This is a great question! I lived in Germany for three years and found out that servers and such are already paid a generous wage and tips are already factored into your bill. Now, would I tip? Sometimes, if the service is exceptional, yes. When I first moved there I tipped our server 4 euro on a 10 euro bill. The look she gave me was shock and absolute gratitude. I had just increased her tip to 6 euro. More than half the bill. This was before I was completely aware of the system. After knowing all of that, I have only tipped a handful of times.

Thanks for your answer Sheena. I wasn't aware that Germany is also a non-tipping country. It's the same here (aust.) I think the starting base rate is at least 3-4 times that of USA , but then again tips aren't as common, so it needs to be higher.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

I think you should be aware of the local customs, wherever you are.
    In the US, if service is good and we had a good experience, the tip is usually 15-20%. If we are at a  very pricey place, maybe only a % on the food and not drinks. Depends on the total of the bill., and how comfortable we are.

We live in a tourist town where there are many international visitors-- so I know that some of the servers think that certain  nationalities are a bit "cheap"-- but they also know that other countries have different customs.

Also-- when we lived in Anaheim, one of our sons was a pastel portrait artist (He has TALENT). They were advised not to take any tips in Disneyland , where he worked--- but, as he explained, "We didn't want to insult anyone by refusing."

Thanks Rochelle - great answer. I worked in a tourist establishment. If I accepted tips, my till would have been out and I would have been accused of overcharging, If I accept the tip myself I would have been accused of stealing. Tricky situation

11. profile image0
    sandoniaposted 11 years ago

No. Tipping can be considered insulting in some cultures. Thus, in cultures where tipping is not common place, it's usually safer to avoid tipping.

12. Suzie HQ profile image92
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

Tips - i would check out what is the custom of where you are travelling as it does vary considerably. Particularly in restaurants, some may be inclusive of a service charge. I do tend to tip however if i have had particularly attentive or good service in restaurants, taxis, hotels or trips. Knowing the amount though is important so as not to offend or embarrass, in some countries a dollar,pound or euro may be huge money.

13. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

In Malaysia where I have just returned a week ago,gratuity is included in the bill, but i still left a tip anyway.The restaurants where I went to were not the top of the line restaurant- more like street food but with seats, clean and mostly caters to locals. I left  tips because of the way the restaurant treated me,gave me meals which i have not eated or tasted before and even took the time to explain about the meal in always smiling manner even though , i observed that malaysians are one of the rudest countries i've ever been to, and I have been to so many countries.seems like the restaurant people in Malaysia makes up for the general  rudeness of the Malaysians. I mean, THEY ARE REALLY RUDE! and sure beats the stigma attached to the FRENCH  for being generally rude and impatient to tourists. I can understand the French attitude and animosity towards tourists as I have had the opportunity of visiting France  several times .The French population doubles every summer  and tourists asking for information from the locals like a tourist information office can be a little bit annoying to your average French local who happens to be having his morning coffee and croissant in a street cafe in peace and tranquility only to be interrupted by a tourist needing information..Heck ,even the tourists ask me for information when I am in France when obviously I am also looking like a tourist with my I love Paris T-shirt.Go figure! LOL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)