What's more important, looks or a sense of humor?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. InCourage profile image61
    InCourageposted 11 years ago

What's more important, looks or a sense of humor?

Seriously!

2. kate12402 profile image60
    kate12402posted 11 years ago

I personally care more about a sense of humor haha.  I can't speak for the rest of the world, but your beauty, in the commercial culture definition of the word, fades.  It takes a lot more to get rid of your sense of humor.  And I think a sense of humor is far more helpful in life.

3. sangre profile image92
    sangreposted 11 years ago

What's worse than talking to someone who's good looking but can't take a joke or get your jokes.

Sense of Humor anyday. They are the ones who make a good night better.

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I wonder whether people who are very good looking tend to have less of a sense of humor?  When you don't have the looks, you have to develop some personality and wit.  If everyone falls at your feet just because you are so beautiful, maybe you never need to.  If you think about people who make you laugh, how many of them are Adonises?  Are ANY of them?  Most people will opt for a sense of humor over good looks anyday. The exception is with romantic relationships.  Given a choice between a beautiful, sexy girl who was a bit boring and a plain girl with a brilliant sense of humor, I suspect most guys would go for the looker.  And I say this (sob) as a female with a reasonably good sense of humor.

1. InCourage profile image61
      InCourageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's funny.  Perhaps that is true for the young... but the older we get, the more we learn, the more we understand the "what's" important in life, what grows finer with time and what just spoils.

5. networmed profile image58
    networmedposted 11 years ago

Having a sense of humor is priceless and can override any looks. If you look good and you don't have a sense of humor, you're an island, well, probably not at all times, but most of the time it is.

1. kate12402 profile image60
      kate12402posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So true!!! It doesn't matter how hot you are, if you have a crappy personality or a bad attitude, you come across as ugly.  But a more homely looking guy with a good attitude and a great sense of humor or cool personality automatically becomes hot smile

6. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

Definitely a sense of humor! The person would be more fun to be around, and would make life much more interesting.

7. raquelpier profile image67
    raquelpierposted 11 years ago

Sense of humor is a must for me, but then so is chemistry. I don't care how cute or funny or romantic someone is or believes he or she is-if nothing is going on upstairs, no one's going downstairs. That is not to say I would turn down an invitation from a Brad Pitt or Dwayne Johnson dopilganger if they wound up being dumber than rocks. Only kidding. Seriously, at 42 and as a single woman, I am looking for a well rounded individual at this stage of my life. How someone looks is about as important as what he or she drives...doesn't matter how nice the car looks on the outside if it doesn't run or if I cannot afford the payments to keep it. Or maybe that's just me?

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

A sense of humor, hands down!  Looks are just the surface.  Looks do not define who a person is.  In fact, often the better-looking the person, the more shallow and selfish they tend to be, thinking they are "all that."

If you cannot laugh at yourself, and the minor misfortunes that occur, you are in for a rough ride in this life.

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

To me, it will be communication. Looks will fade but if a person has a sense of humor and able to communicate, it will be everlasting.

That is what my wife is good at as she can really talks. And best of all, I enjoy it everyday of my life.

10. teyeger82 profile image63
    teyeger82posted 11 years ago

I remember a certain tall, dark and handsome man that a friend and I would see in our offices from time to time. We were convinced he was the best looking man either of us had ever seen. We were both contract employees and a short time later she was hired by the actual company. In her new role, she was in contact with Mr. Good Looking more frequently and more directly. I once made the statement to her that I had not seen him lately and could do with a siting of him. Her response was that he was not as good looking as she had previously thought because he had absolutely no personality. I too was hired by the company and discovered the same thing! The truth of the matter was that his good looks were determined by what mood you caught him in. When he was being charming and witty and funny, he was good looking. When he was being gruff and boorish, he was the troll under the bridge and nowhere close to being so tall, dark, and handsome!

11. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

As a guy who has BOTH, I'm not sure WHICH is the more influential in keeping a lengthy line of ladies outside my door, trying to get my attention......

1. raquelpier profile image67
      raquelpierposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with a little humility either...LOL smile

2. InCourage profile image61
      InCourageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

proving once and for all that ackman actually does have a sense of humor! lol...

12. profile image54
    Squirrelgonzoposted 11 years ago

Without a doubt a sense of humor! It has more benefits than an appearance does!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)