Is anyone else afraid of adding summaries to their hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Jamie Brock profile image92
    Jamie Brockposted 11 years ago

Is anyone else afraid of adding summaries to their hubs?

In general, my hubs that have a summary do not do as well as my hubs that do not have a summary.   All of my best hubs do not have summaries.  I know it is suggested to add a summary to every hub but this makes me afraid to.  Is anyone else having this experience?

2. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 11 years ago

HI Jamie, I feel exactly the same, all my best work  doesn't have summaries either.

So I guess I am alittle scared too smile

Cant wait to see others answers smile

Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad I wasn't the only one who had this going on smile

3. Eric Calderwood profile image77
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

I didn't know that could affect my hubs performance.  I've been putting summaries on every hub I make.  Maybe I should take them off and see if the traffic increases.

Congrats on your perfect score of 100 right now!

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Why should I be afraid to write two or three sentences concerning my work?  All my Hubs have summaries because as I understand it, if you don't write a summary, one will be written for you.  I find them easy to write, so this is why I write them.  As far as I'm concerned, they help hook the reader.

For some reason, I have trouble coming up with them :0/

2. teaches12345 profile image77
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought the same, Arlene. I thought it was mandated to write one for each hub.  If you look on your profile, they flag those without a summary as well.  Didn't know that they would write one for you.. they may do a better job on it for me.

3. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's that easy, Jamie.  Pretend you are answering someone who is asking you what your Hub is about.  Like, "Are your canning jars lining up in your home like armies of soldiers?  Here are some ways to put those canning jars to use!"

4. Jamie Brock profile image92

Arlene, they seem easy to do. I just don't understand why my hubs that HAVE summaries do not do as well as others that do not have them. I have been watching this trend over the past year on my hubs.  Maybe I just need to write better summaries.

5. Becky Katz profile image79
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They will not write one for you. If it does not have a summary written, they will just use the first 120 characters of your hub. The first paragraph will be your summary. Sometimes that will not cover the different aspects of your hub.

5. eatforcheaper profile image60
    eatforcheaperposted 11 years ago

Hmm, I never noticed that. I may test that out and see what happens if I remove a summary. Thanks for the tip!

It is just something that I notice when I look at my list of hubs.. My top 10 hubs hardly ever have a summary and the ones that do have a summary end up with a hubscore of 70's and below.

6. plussize-lingerie profile image60
    plussize-lingerieposted 11 years ago

You should bear in mind that the summary is used as the META description in the hubpage HTML. If Google shows your hub as a potential result in the search results it will use your META description *IF* the description (summary) includes the phrase that was searched on.

In other words, the summary is a great place to write a piece of targeted advertising for your hub that will be triggered in Google, as well as in Hubpages.

I would guess that the real trick is to write incredibly good summaries. A bad summary will turn users off and reduce clicks both in Hubpages and Google, but a good one should be worth its weight in gold.

That said, I've not mastered writing summaries that entice yet either, so the theory is sound, but it's down to us to master it.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps I have not mastered writing a good summary yet. Right now, I am better off not adding one at all than adding one that is so-so. This is what I figured may be going on with it.  Thanks for the reply!

7. Claudia Tello profile image67
    Claudia Telloposted 11 years ago

I added a summary to all my hubs as soon as the summary option was added to the general format of hubs. Since it was suggested as a positive addition, and I was relatively new at the time, I just followed exactly the tip I was given. Now you have made me anxious about it!!! What if my hubs would be doing better without a summary??? I´ll be following this question. Cheers!

Claudia, I'm sorry! I hope I haven't discouraged you...If your hubs are doing okay, I wouldn't take the summaries off just because of this question.. I just wanted to know if others experienced it.

8. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I think the key is to write a great summary. If you don't write one they'll take a snippet from your hub to show instead. Sometimes if I think my opening paragraph is really good and would really draw in a reader, I'll just use that for the summary. I think you're better off with no summary than just a so-so one.

Thanks Sherry.. This is exactly what I have been thinking:) I need to go through and look at the first paragraph of my hubs and see which hubs need one and which ones don't.

9. unknown spy profile image43
    unknown spyposted 11 years ago

I always put a summary on my hub too. But I don't know if it increase or decrease the traffic.. But I just love to put summary smile

Thank you for the reply smile

10. Stephanie Henkel profile image93
    Stephanie Henkelposted 11 years ago

I have added summaries to almost all of my hubs, and I do think that it helps traffic. One useful suggestion for writing summaries that I like is to include some of your keyword search phrases in it. I repeat a keyword that is found in my title as well as one or two other keywords from my hub in my summary.  I believe that summaries help the search engines find my hubs, but I don't have proof that this is true.

1. plussize-lingerie profile image60
      plussize-lingerieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google displays the summary if the key phrase is found within the summary (which is displayed as the META description), so key phrases in summaries are a good idea. You don't get better rank in the results, but you do get better click through rate.

2. Jamie Brock profile image92

I suppose I just need to go through and improve the summaries then on the hubs that have them.  It's just funny that my hubs with NO summary are all my top hubs- that's why I really don't want to add one to those.

11. profile image55
    Squirrelgonzoposted 11 years ago

I am definitely nervous about summaries!However I am more nervous about them now and will probably try not to add a summary the next time I post a hub to see what happens!

Maybe summaries hurt hubs a little bit because it takes some of the mystery away from what the hub is about...hmmm...

Gonzo-Out

12. breathing profile image48
    breathingposted 8 years ago

I prefer writing summaries. But it is not a rule of thumb that hubs with summaries will always be good compared to the one which don’t have summaries. I’ve seen many hubs where the writing is done is such a complete manner that no summary is needed. Yeah, writing a good summary is always preferable as many visitors don’t intend to read the full hub at the first place,. But when they see an attractive summary they are very much convinced to read the whole article which is very good for your profile. On the other hand when you write a bad summary, the visitor will immediately move away from your page. As a result, the bounce rate of your hub will increase which will affect your profile badly. 

Always try to write a complete article where no summary is needed. But still the ideal practice is to write a good summary. Yeah, if ever you forget to write the summary the article itself will be enough to attract the visitors. Also you should use some catchy words in the summary so that the chances of visitors getting attracted increase and you can enjoy the privilege of upgrading your profile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)