What is the best and safest way(s) to fast

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)
  1. diversitylady profile image59
    diversityladyposted 11 years ago

What is the best and safest way(s) to fast

2. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

The best way is to make sure that you drink lots of water. I have a friend who recognises Ramadan, and she never eats or drinks after the sun comes up or before evening on those days. She always says she has a headache, but is not even allowed to drink water. I believe its a must, because to wash out the toxins you need to hydrate your body. Another good way is to just eat grapes, don't give up food completely just make sure you eat fruit throughout the day.

3. Steven Gray profile image69
    Steven Grayposted 11 years ago

It helps if your body is already ketogenic, or at the very least, adapted to favor fats and proteins as its primary fuel source.  If you enter fasting after a carbohydrate-heavy diet, fasting can be unpleasant because the body is used to short-duration fuel sources.

When the body favors fat, it can effectively use its own fat for energy and gluconeogenesis (creation of its own glucose) while you abstain from eating.  This also reinforces the spiritual side of fasting, as you will be literally burning away flesh while fasting, i. e., becoming less materialistic physically as well as spiritually.

4. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

Fasting should be limited to a maximum of twenty-four hours. Don't undertake prolonged fasting as this can cause serious health problems.

Although you may fast restricting the intake of solid food do not restrict you intake of water. Not drinking water can depending on the climate you are in, kill you in a few hours. So always drink fluids.

You should also consult a doctor or medical practitioner before fasting to ensure that you have no medical problems and are healthy enough to undertake a fast.

If you are fasting before a medical procedure, then your doctor should give you the correct instructions for the required fast.

1. Cristale profile image83
      Cristaleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Moses did not eat or drink for fourty days and fourty nights, while he was on the mountain talking with God...

5. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

Devout members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fast the first Sunday of each month from the evening meal on Saturday until the evening meal on Sunday and donate the money the missing two meals would have cost them and their family to be used for relief of the poor in the world.  They also fast and pray on occasions for other special needs.  To fast or not falls within each person's free agency to decide for themselves.

6. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

The only way to fast is to not eat or drink. So do just that..not for long periods of time to be safe, especially if you are young.

7. Lady Summerset profile image70
    Lady Summersetposted 11 years ago

Start slowly!  A day, then two days, then 3 days and so forth.  Begin with dropping meats, then go to veggies and fruits, and finally liquids but always keep prayer before you and be Spirit-led for the strength of God will sustain you.

8. ratnaveera profile image59
    ratnaveeraposted 11 years ago

In my experience lemonade diet is the safest way to fast. Just take lemon juice with water, common salt and sugar. You should add only salt or sugar. You can prefer lemon juice, water and sugar at mornings and evenings and lemon juice, water and salt at afternoons.

Another safest and easiest way to fast is taking variety of fruits and warm milk and sugar. But, here you should take only limited quantity of fruits. Every time fruits can be followed by a tumbler of warm milk and sugar

9. darvinbunder profile image60
    darvinbunderposted 11 years ago

Depends on how long you're fasting, and i presume by fasting you mean food. Some people only allow themselves water. If you do that, you must drink a lot of it. It will cleanse out your system and keep you feeling full. Some people allow themselves to drink herbal tea which is also good, but again, make sure you drink a lot to make you feel full.
    I have only fasted 24 hours but I plan my fast so that, when I wake up from sleeping, I can eat again so I am not tempted.
    Temptation is hard, and do not give in, because it makes it harder. Putting just a few crumbs in your tummy will make your stomach release acids, causing you to become even more hungry.
    Plus, you would break the fast.

10. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes, I agreed that water will be the main source of fasting. We can go without food for many days but as for water, it is critical to have enough.

This will prevent dehydration of our bodies for various functions. So, it is best to drink lots of water during fasting.

11. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

I think it certainly depends what You mean by fasting and for how long You plan on doing it. I actually plan on doing something along those lines soon but for me it will be either twenty-four or fourty-eight hours of no food and no water. I plan on doing this after about a week of complete isolation.

I do think abrupt changes may affect the body negatively. Hence, I said that it depends how long You plan on fasting and what kind of fasting.

If You plan on staying away from food but You will allow liquids then, I think You would not have many problems. You could have protein shakes or add vitamins to your water ... it all depends ...

If You are going for no food and no water, I encourage You to be careful. Prepare your body by limiting food from before - maybe a month before the day You plan to begin your fasting ... Eating less and less food each day - smaller and smaller portions at longer and longer intervals, will help You adapt.

Do a lot of research and listen to your body - that is perhaps my best tip for You. Other than that, I wish You all the best and may Wakan Tanka guide your path.

In Faith and Love there is Power.

12. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

We assume that you do not have any prior medical condition....if you do then you can not just do a fast..
    Just like meditation..you do the fast a little bit at a time..to prepare your body and not get it shocked...
    Set a date when you will do it, then to prepare
    Either eat a little bit a time ..divide your food into the number of hours for your regular meal..1 to 3 days
    You will have to start all over until you can do so for three days before the fast..
    Fasting..first do 12 hours
    Then do 24 hours
    Stop. Eat a little bit..then you can gradually extend to 36...
    Lots of water, lots of sleep and plenty of walks..when awake..

13. sashenikainderby profile image59
    sashenikainderbyposted 11 years ago

I was very careful and started from
    one day a week I ate only vegetables (for a month)
    It stopped being difficult for me and I had lots of energy after these days.So  I desided that it was the right time to start fasting.

One day only vegetables (carrot, cabbage, apples and water)
    then only water with lemon and honey (or just a bit of sugar) and water. Acidity helps your liver.
    Next day I ate only vegetables.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)