If you could choose a new name for yourself, what would it be, and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. executivecatering profile image60
    executivecateringposted 11 years ago

If you could choose a new name for yourself, what would it be, and why?

This was originally a question asked by my teacher at school to the entire class and only one person said they wouldn't change their name; so I am guessing majority of people would like a new name!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6778911_f260.jpg

2. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 11 years ago

I also don't want to change my name. In fact I love it. Name reflects the personality of a man. And with the passage of time we become like our name.
    This is what I think.

1. ComfortB profile image85
      ComfortBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, in time we become like our name.Jabez knew that (the bible story).

'And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez,
      saying, Because I bare him with sorrow. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying

3. shampa sadhya profile image75
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

I will never change my name not only because I like it as it sounds sweet and has a beautiful meaning. My name 'Shampa' means electricity which drives out darkness. The main reason for not changing my name is that as a new born child I had no identity of mine but my loved ones gave me my first own identity. That is what makes it very special and an attachment with my loved ones makes it more special.

There is so much of scope to choose another name for using it as pen-name, username and so on then why to change my first identity on this earth.

executivecateringposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your name it's very nice

4. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 11 years ago

I am satisfied with my present name.  There is no need to follow for an another name.  Persons usually with a quirky mind will be worrying about their name.  If we have confidence for any decision making such worry will have no meaning.

5. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 11 years ago

Love this question...  My mother told me (actually I remember, but I was about two or three years old so I will give her version) that I decided my name was Aku-Aku.  I think she has some of my first writings signed like this. 

I still liked my birth name, but this was my Other name.  Years later I lived in New Zealand for a few years  and had started applying for citizenship.  I was in love with the Hokianga area. 

and at some point my mother told me to check out the name Aku-Aku + New Zealand. 

Interesting!  I don't believe in luck or magic (I love the idea though) but I do believe that sometimes funny things happen.  Aku-Aku

That's a very nice story thanks for commenting :-)

6. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

When I was little I hated my unusual name (at least unusual in the part of the world I was born:) and I wanted an ordinary name, just lke my classmates. My father has chosen my name and now when he is gone, my name is my link to him. And also just like anupma said, we really become like our name.

I am sure he is very proud of you

7. alexatomas profile image61
    alexatomasposted 11 years ago

I would change my name, actually. I have 2 problems with my first name: since I'm Portuguese, people from other countries can't really say it; also there's a lot of people with the same name in Portugal. I don't know what is worst, to be in another country and people can't say my name or being in my own country and someone calls my name, I turn around and it's not for me... akward.

I guess I like Alexa (from Alexandra, my middle name). It's uncommon enough in Portugal and everyone can say it pretty decently.

8. yssubramanyam profile image60
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

name do not bother me. our involvement and contribution besides our reputation in given field will title the self. we will be identified with nick name , which is pleasurable. i was called as miracle man in aviation field by virtue of my dealing aircraft snags, after retirement i started maths coaching, at present i am caqlled as maths mystic. it is my joy of comment. i love the hub.

9. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I have been given new names as my life has progressed. I was born Sidney, but chose Sid. In my spiritual tradition, I've been named Clear Truth, Heart of the Heart, True Full Taste of Awakening, and Eternal Spring. I live into each of them, and keep growing. I wrote a hub about this called "the power of a name."

Tam Tam is the Vietnamese pronunciation of Heart of the Heart. I really like that one.

One of my friends is called sid i like that name

10. Emmyboy profile image79
    Emmyboyposted 11 years ago

I will simply choose Nick Carter after my hero of the Nick Carter AXE Killmaster spy thrillers.

Oh by the way, did I mention that name is already by facebook name?

You see...?

11. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

My birth first name is Comfort. I didn't like it when I was a child, but I've grown to love the name. I thank my parents for giving it to me. They chose the name because my birth brought so much joy and comfort to them at a very difficult time.

I wouldn't change my name for anything. It's who I am. It defines me.

It's a really nice name

12. mbergo profile image61
    mbergoposted 11 years ago

I have a typical Norwegian name (Magne) and would love ANY new name that I do not have to spell to non-norwegians. Particularly since I haven't lived in Norway for 15 years.

lol must be frustrating

13. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

I will not change my first name. It was given to me by my mother and it has history, the name of heroine in a British Novel she was reading at the time I was conceived.

I am amenable to having a third second name (the first two are Maria and my maternal grandfather's last name which I use for legal documents) and use that in my future signatures.

14. Johnathan L Groom profile image35
    Johnathan L Groomposted 11 years ago

Sir Johnathan the Miracle-One  III
    -John-

1. mattdigiulio profile image77
      mattdigiulioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My name is Matt, and I thoroughly approve of this message.

15. sangre profile image93
    sangreposted 11 years ago

Madison or Sommer are names I would have liked to be called. They sound different. In Ireland everyone has names like Patrick, Mary, Ann, Margaret. They are lovely names but nearly everyone has a friend or family member with these names.

Different is sometimes nicer.

I agree it's good to stand out I have noticed that about Ireland and names

16. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't legaly change my name as my mother chose it and I would hate my girls to channe their names ( Tania Jessica, Gemma Kimberley & Danielle Brittony) however since my second marriage I call myself Kris instead of Christine for a change .

i like the name Christine it reminds me of a sweet girl from my school

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)