What is the most daring thing you have done and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 11 years ago

What is the most daring thing you have done and why?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Move to another country away from my parents................

1. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. To go to school
      2. To learn how to live on my own

3. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 11 years ago

I  moved to Europe (Germany) to live when I was 25 years old.  I went alone and didn't know the language at the time I arrived.  It was the best move I ever made.  I took German lessons and eventually learned the language, but doing something like that really teaches you alot and you learn to rely on yourself so  much.  I encourage everyone to do it at sometime in their life.

4. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

Street preached in Amsterdam where I actually received a death threat during the experience.

1. Lady_E profile image74
      Lady_Eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Much respect to you, Bob. It's becoming harder these days to do. Amazing.

2. landscapeartist profile image61
      landscapeartistposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! That is daring.

3. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kudos to you Bob.....and to your bravery.

5. krillco profile image85
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Get married, knowing that over 60% of marriages end in divorce, and believing that I could beat those odds. (And I have.) So why is this 'daring'? Because the eventuality of stating married is that at some point you discover that you are 'all in'. Meaning that it is your partner in life that you will become the very closest to; the most intimate with, this this will ultimately end with one of you dying and entering a singular kind of grief that becomes existential. daring to love, fully, is a brave act.

1. Steel Engineer profile image80
      Steel Engineerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

60% is a made-up statistic. It has never been real.

6. LouTucci profile image74
    LouTucciposted 11 years ago

Basically, it's in my bio. I saw my first Beatle movie when I was about 11, got a guitar, had a desire to play and have girls chase me, just like the Beatles. Took me several years writing songs and developing my voice and style. Singing to people, was a bit scary! But, the longer I played, I discovered that the more people liked me - so I just kept on doing it - till playing for a couple of 100 people was just 2nd nature...

7. juneaukid profile image69
    juneaukidposted 11 years ago

I guess one of the most daring things I have done is to Climb 14,256 ft. Longs Peak at nighttime in Rocky Mountain National Park. I and two other rangers did this during a total eclipse of the moon and arrived at the summit at 4 am to eventually see sunrise over distant Kansas. We did it for the beauty of the experience without a night's sleep.

1. skgrao profile image66
      skgraoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is Daring please let me have your full experience during climbing the mountain.

8. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

I have not done anything like the few people who have done daring things like climbing mountains to me daring things were only in my profession which is manufacturing textiles and I did few things which no one did in my group of textile mills.I do not think it was daring but I did dare others and they failed doing what I did.
    http://www.technicaltextilesforindia.com
    http://wwwitechnicaltextilesforindia.com

9. Steel Engineer profile image80
    Steel Engineerposted 11 years ago

I joined the Marines in 1988. The Holy Spirit told me a war would start in the middle east. I joined under a guaranteed contract to learn Arabic.

I joined the Army Guard in 2001 when the Holy Spirit told me to do that- and to "study your Arabic."

I also flew to Kiev, Ukraine in April, 2004 when the Holy Spirit told me He had chosen a wife for me there. (This actually resulted from about 3 weeks of prayer before I was convinced.) I didn't understand when the Holy Spirit told me, "You already met her."

However, when I met my business contact, it was instant. We saw each other, and both were stunned. She's in the kitchen right now, making us a light lunch. I am sooooo  in love! She is the most loving person I have ever met.

My service in the Marines and the Army was also exceptionally rewarding. There is a kind of love and respect men can have for each other. It is almost common in the military. It is rare outside of it.

1. Lady_E profile image74
      Lady_Eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So beautiful to read and inspiring too.

2. Civil War Bob profile image61
      Civil War Bobposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OOORAH!

10. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

I  resigned from a well paid job as an Administrator with the Police, to set up a small business in IT Training. (because I didn't want to work 9-5 for the next 20 years). Lazy me!! I set it all up/registered etc and sent a mail shot to just 30 Computer Training Centres. Two responded positively and a new journey started.

Looking back now I think to myself: "You were a little bit Crazy, but lucky." :-)

11. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 11 years ago

This was daring, reckless and dangerous..... standing on the seat of a moving motorcycle.  Why?  The combination of a little two much alcohol and youth makes one think they are bulletproof....LOL.

12. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image81
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 11 years ago

My most daring endeavor has been staying true to myself because most of my family, companions, and acqaintances don't have the same interests as I have;  so I have been ambling down a singular and different path throughout my life while maintaining connections.

13. CriticalMessage profile image66
    CriticalMessageposted 11 years ago

The most daring thing I had done was to streak (casually run naked) through my aunt and uncles crowded downtown Chicago neighborhood (15 city blocks ran) in broad 3p.m. daylight... With all the people on this hot summer day sitting on their cool porches watching mine so proudly displayed..  Doing it like it was the most normal thing in the world to do.. Waving at and greeting the neighbors with my big (smile?) as I streaked by.. Why did I do it ?... My cousin dared me to do it... I was 17yrs old at the time.. *smiles*.. And we still get a laugh out of it today.

1. Bob Zermop profile image69
      Bob Zermopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha this is too funny. Kudos to you Critical!

2. CriticalMessage profile image66
      CriticalMessageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was well before I turned into a Bronze contemplator... *smiles*

3. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, a vote up for your sheer guts!

14. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

I am impressed by those who have already answered.  I have always thought of myself as a bland person with not much personality, but I do like a personal challenge once in a while; never had the stamina for mountain climbing which would be a blast or the ears for scuba diving, which would be fun to. 

However, I did volunteer to go to Vietnam and fly helicopters, I am driven to start my own businesses on a shoe-string and jump out of airplanes (well, I used to, too fat now).  The former is the most satisfying and the later, the most fun.  I sing karaoke in the nude at a resort my wife and I go to; that is ... err interesting as well, you ought try it if you need to build up your self-confidence.

After that, I go back into my shell and write hubs and answer interesting questions like this one.

15. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

For me, it was getting married after knowing someone for only 9 days. The marriage lasted 19 years, but looking back we were both running away from lives we didn't like. This was not the best way to start a marriage and it isn't something I would recommend for others. There is a saying, "marry in haste, repent in leisure." It is true.

1. Blond Logic profile image94
      Blond Logicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Also moving to rural Brazil. I guess that is daring.

16. Savva Pelou profile image61
    Savva Pelouposted 11 years ago

Up to this day, the most daring thing I have ever done is propose to my girlfriend.  She is the love of my life and proposing was the best thing ever.

1. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh that is so sweet.................

17. yoginijoy profile image65
    yoginijoyposted 11 years ago

I moved to a new country for two years and lived with a family and took classes at the University. It was daring because I didn't know anyone in the country at all. It was a fabulous adventure and I plan to do it again as soon as possible!

18. Radikum profile image61
    Radikumposted 11 years ago

Become a father! I never had one around really until my late teens, so becoming a parent to two daughters has been the most daring and thrilling thing I've done. Period.

19. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Against all odds with my wife's family who had objected me, I married with her.

Now we are happily married with 2 children after more than 20 years together!

20. landscapeartist profile image61
    landscapeartistposted 11 years ago

I packed up my daughter who was 2 at the time to move about 300 miles away from my family and friends.  We moved to a small town where I didn't know anyone.  We lived there for about 2 years. I grew up alot in that time period, and moved back home a totally different person.
    For me that was the most daring thing I had ever done.

21. wandererh profile image68
    wandererhposted 11 years ago

I don't quite know the most daring thing that I have done, but I'm sure I know the why..."it seemed a good idea at the time."

22. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Going to Las Vegas to Jump out of a plane with my friend for his bday.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)