Do you use facebook for background checks or to spy on ex's?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. sweetzara profile image77
    sweetzaraposted 11 years ago

Do you use facebook for background checks or to spy on ex's?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6784909_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

No..........................................................................

3. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

No..
    I love FB and go there to see what everyone else is doing. Their world seems to be most exciting...To me it is adult Disneyland at your fingertips..

I love the people I interact with.

I very rarely look at someone's profile unless someone asks me to or points me to it as it is of interest to them.......so for them, I would look.

Otherwise, it is just like being in Disneyland with other visitors...

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

That seems kind of creepy and stalkerish.  I'm sure people do it, but I don't.  I do keep in contact with old friends, including some old boyfriends, but not to spy on them.  Facebook, imo, would not be a good way to do a background check.  If I felt I needed to check someone's background for legitimate reasons it's very easy to order a background check online - almost too easy, kind of scary.  I do know though that employers often check for Facebook profiles of employees/prospective employees so with that in mind I try not to share anything that others would find overly offensive etc.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I never have. I guess I am not that interested in what others are doing. I do enjoy seeing updates from "friends"  but that's about it.

6. mommahottness profile image60
    mommahottnessposted 11 years ago

My ex (a dead beat dad) took off on my son and I. He owed me 99% of the child support payments for that time and couldn’t not be found by child support enforcement for 6 years. I went on Face Book and did some Digging. He had moved states 5 times in the 6 years.
    I got his state info and work info from Face Book! Yellow Pages.com for his address and phone number. I called the child support enforcement office and gave them all the info. They told me that they were not permitted to use such social networking sites to find delinquent parents.
    She gave me alot of Praise for my efforts and Slapped a Sanction on my ex. He decided to pay rather than loose license and go to jail.
    YAY! Face Book!!!

1. sweetzara profile image77
      sweetzaraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm really happy for you. Happy that facebook was actually good for something!!! smile

2. mommahottness profile image60
      mommahottnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile  Yes it was very good. I was appalled that the enforcement office was not allowed to use social network cites as a means of finding these Creeps!

7. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Facebook and google. I found my boyfriend's father, his new wife's name, the house he has had on the market for the past two years, where he plays golf, etc. You can find anything.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I don't.  I have my page, and that's it.  I stay away from Facebook if at all possible (and most often it is, of course).  I hate Facebook, and it makes me "mean" just to think about it.   (lol)  (See?  Three lines in here, and I'm already feeling the "mean" creeping in.   smile   (Besides, I have only one ex at this point, and I pretty much know the details of his life.  Anyone exes from before this "main" one are from - like - forty years ago.  As long as they haven't made the evening news by now, they're of no consequence to me.

9. Cardia profile image74
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

I don't normally do so, but sometimes if a strange email address sends me an email (normally the types that say "Hello, I want to be your friend. Here is a picture of me etc."), I copy the email into Facebook to see if an actual profile comes up. It's not that I would report them or add them as a FB contact (of course not!) but mainly just out of curiosity. Is it a real person, or a spammer?

Also, one time I got an email from a strange address (I use hotmail, and the person had the email address like msnsupport@h..)that was saying that I needed to give my password for security checks. I didn't believe it really (i'm a bit paranoid on the internet) but I checked the email address on Facebook, and turns out that the person was stupid enough to have his actual profile attached to the phishing one! Needless to say, I blocked both.

Otherwise, I don't use facebook for things like that.

1. mommahottness profile image60

Dang you should have reported that looser!!!
      I never friend Random people on face book! I think it may be an ex or his friends or something. I guess I am paranoid on line to! Cheers to keeping it safe!

10. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I have checked out a couple of my daughters "friends" who had posted some fairly unsuitable stuff - I fessed up afterwards and had a conversation with my daughter about it though and it helped her deal with some challenges at school.

1. mommahottness profile image60

You go MOM!!! I like this one!!! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)