We euthanize our dying pets - do you believe we should offer assisted suicide to

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. ashleybunn profile image61
    ashleybunnposted 11 years ago

We euthanize our dying pets - do you believe we should offer assisted suicide to the terminally ill?

When our beloved pets are unable to function any more, we often euthanize them to end their suffering. If someone is terminally ill and suffering, perhaps even unable to get out of bed or care for themselves, should we offer them the same service by giving them right to end their lives if they choose? Do you think this would be morally sound or unacceptable?

2. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

I believe quality of life is more important. If I was terminally ill and bedridden, I can only hope assisted suicide will be available if I'm unable to communicate my wishes. It's easy to say NO, but for those caregivers of terminally ill family members, they understand what I'm saying here. Sometimes I think keeping a terminally ill person alive is selfish of the family, especially if they knew the patients wishes. (Ducks, awaiting religeous attacks! lol)

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

There are some people who treat pets as fashion accesories and euthanise them when they go out of fashion, or become an inconvenience, how long before that sort of attitude of inconvenience rubs off on the terminally ill?

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I remember a couple bringing in their old dog to euthanize it because they were going on vacation to Hawaii and had not found a caretaker willing to keep up with the meds. If they had an old parent on meds?

2. ashleybunn profile image61
      ashleybunnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have a very good point, Mick. For anything like this to fly, it would have to be strict law that no family members, doctors, or whoever could decide to end the life of a patient - the patient must be in their right mind & must decide personal

3. Alison D Adams profile image60
      Alison D Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a cat w/cancer @ home now. She has 1-3 mos left. With medications she can be at home and be comfortable. She plants herself w/her favorite toy (a purple spider) in the window in office and purrs when fed thru feeding tube. Enjoys a brushing.

4. Author Cheryl profile image80
    Author Cherylposted 11 years ago

Yes I think humans should be able to be euthanized as well.  Its wrong and sad to keep people alive who are in pain, suffering and can not do anything for themselves.  I wouldnt let my animals live this way so why should I have too.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

It happens already, but not openly, especially in geriatric and cancer wards.  Mostly, it's done for compassionate reasons.  The dilemma is that, while we want to allow people the right to end their suffering, making it open and legal just might leave elderly or chronically sick people feeling pressurized, whether openly or not, to end their lives for financial reasons. 

Asking for their consent is also a problem if they have dementia, for instance. They can give instructions prior to developing dementia, but how do doctors know they didn't change their mind?  Also, serious illness takes a great emotional toll and can lead to depression - can you trust a decision made in those circumstances?

There are obvious cases where assisted suicide seems the most humane and reasonable course to take. Of course they should be allowed to leave this world with dignity. However, the problem will always be those grey areas: how do we word the law to enable those who need to end their lives to do so, without inadvertently catching others in that net?

6. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

Yes we should. I love my dogs very, very much and I'm glad that when their end comes, it is pain free, relaxed, fear-free and with dignity. Why shouldn't people have the same?

After being a nurse for 25 years, seeing the pain, trauma and fear that many patients have went through month after month, I totally support a person's right to end their life when they decide they have had enough. Even in the 21st century there is no guarantee that a person will die a pain free, fear free and dignified death through conventional channels. Therefore, I would support their right to choose unconventional methods.

7. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 11 years ago

I am totally in favour of this. While someone is facing as close to certain death as can be medically established and are still of sound mind and make this most understandable request, why on earth isn't it allowed.

Why are we not in control of our own passing. I would go further and say if anyone wanted to terminate their existence why can't they.

If a loved one of mine were in such a terminal situation and asked for my help I believe I would do all in my power to grant their wish. Not nor never having been in such a situation I don't know for sure what I would do but knowing me as I do, breaking the law for someone I love wouldn't be a big concern,
    MJ.

1. ashleybunn profile image61
      ashleybunnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very well said, mj. I certainly do think that it's more than a bit strange that people aren't given control over their own deaths. I think you're a very admirable person to be open to aiding a loved one in such a massive way.

8. photographybyar profile image82
    photographybyarposted 11 years ago

Oh wow this hits home for me. We recently watched my grandmother wither away over the course of a year. Her quality of life was decreasing everyday, she was bedridden, and her last surgery ended up taking almost all of her intestines, so she would lose everything she ate. Finally, she refused the TPN (food through the ivs) and said she was "ready to go home." Her spirit was already gone it seemed but her body still kept ticking. There would be times she would beg for us to turn her machines off so she could be done suffering, but she wasn't hooked to any machines. I think a person should have the right to an assisted suicide. If there is a cure obviously I'd say try everything before resorting to this option but in people like the case of my grandmother, where there is no quality of life I say go for it. There are times I wanted to just give her a pill that would make her go to sleep. She even would beg me to let her go, like I had control of that. But yes, I think if the person has exhausted their options and they are bedridden with no quality of life, let them go if they want to. I know I wouldn't want to be bedridden, in pain, and not be able to enjoy anything anymore.

9. emilyzeinert profile image61
    emilyzeinertposted 9 years ago

My best friend is terminally ill with a rare genetic disease and should be afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, in peace and with no concerns for effectiveness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)