Why is it that white men and black women are the least likely to date out of the

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Why is it that white men and black women are the least likely to date out of their race?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6818331_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

That's a great question. I've often wondered that myself.

Ellana317posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The way I see it...beauty is beauty.  Be it black, white, puerto rican, or hatian...to name a few.  LOL...

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Ellana.

3. DELAROSAELITE profile image60
    DELAROSAELITEposted 11 years ago

Well everybody has their own individual preferences. Me, for instance, as a Latino male, prefer thick ethnic women. Plenty of black men prefer dating white women(Ice-T, OJ Simpson, Tiger woods, the list goes on) for their own reasons, but obviously the same is not true for black women liking white men. Their is something lacking about the white men that black or African american women desire and or admire. Weather that "something" is aggression, spiciness, ruggedness, remains to be determined but the reality is that not too many black women like white men. Also the same is true in vice versa. White men cannot or don't find black women attractive or perhaps they just cannot handle a strong black woman. Personally, I feel that a white man may often times be intimidated by a black women and not because of the race, but more so because of the cultural differences. I have dated white women and I strongly believe that a white woman can adapt much easier and quicker to a cultural change than a white man can. That is my take.

I don't think there's anything lacking about white men or black women for that matter.  I just think that people tend to get have problems stepping out of their comfort zones, especially if it's not something that their family would agree with.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Delarosealite, yes, older white men have a harder time adapting. Younger white men live in a different culture and realize that women and Mexicans, for instance, rule in Los Angeles and that's cool!

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

Not where I live. Everybody dates everybody.

Hummm... In Indy there seems to be a large population of black men who don't date black women so I am often perplexed but I for one am not bothered by interacial dating.  To each their own...

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

It depends whether the decision is on the female's or the male's side. I have known black women who will not date white men for political reasons. The border between politics and racism is a narrow one, however.  A black girl I worked with had a baby with her white partner. She took the baby to see a former neighbor, a black woman, with whom she had been very friendly. This woman opened the front door, saw the baby was mixed race, and slammed the door in the girl's face.  Maybe black women fear this kind of disapproval from other black women?  As for guys, it may be more important for men that their children look like them and their family. Or maybe I'm being unfair to them there.  Recently, I've noticed more white guys with black girls, so maybe things are changing.

You bring up good points.  I'd agree that the disapproval might be a huge put off but if you're in love why not take the risk???  You'll have to give me more details on the political reasons though. I don't quite understand that one.

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess what I mean is they don't date white guys on principle. It's kind of solidarity, but if they guys don't do the same, I can't see the point. I live in the UK - most British black people are descended from West Indian immigrants of the 50s-60s

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mazzy, in the United States, 1-in-10 marriages if of mixed races. The most common is Mexican-Caucasian. People seemed to be concerned more and more about money, rather than love or race.

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting point, Dr Billy Kidd, if a depressing one. In the UK in the 50's, many Jamaican men arrived alone - it was white women or nothing. When the Jamaican women arrived, they had black men to choose from. Maybe that influenced things.

6. Laquishatby23 profile image61
    Laquishatby23posted 11 years ago

Probably because, for some, they may be afraid of what their families or whoever might think of that person they are with. For example, I am in an interracial relationship with my boyfriend and although it doesnt matter to us what his family thinks of me because Im black, it matters to them. I am just now also experiencing racism because his parents dont like me and the fact that they're son is dating a black girl which kind of makes it a little tough for us. I think some people might avoid dating out of their race to try to avoid any complication. But for some, like me and my boyfriend, would rather deal with the complication because we love each other and when you do, nothing else or no one else really matters.

7. Levertis Steele profile image75
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

Association is the main link to dating. Look at the COMMON work world. White women and black men work together more than Black women and White men. Check out the average nursing home, dollar store, family restaurant, fast food restaurant, Wal-Mart, Target and similar stores, numerous factories, and many more. You will find more Blacks (both sexes) and White women working in these places. White men tend to shun these places unless they have managerial positions or other higher job assignments. You will find White men assuming common employment at places like these: electrical companies (outside work), telephone companie (outside work), large construction companies (big business buildings, bridges and highways), just to name a few. These jobs pay much more money than the jobs where you'll find many blacks and White women. White men work a lot of common jobs where there are very few or no women because the work is dangerous or physically challenging.

To say that White men find Black women unattractive is true and false. To say that Black women find White men unattractive is true and false. White men do not all think alike and neither do Black women. Every race has unattractive and attractive people according to the norm of what attractive is. Yet, even unattractive individuals look attractive to some others. It would be narrow minded and childish to say otherwise.

There are many reasons why White men and Black women do not generally date. These are just a few:

1. They prefer their own race.
    2. They do not believe that races should mix.
    3. They are timid.
    4. Society, in general, frowns upon it.
    5. They are the strongest in race preservation.
    6. They are uncomfortable due to the negative issues surrounding WM/BW and
        slavery.
    7. Blacks have already seen, from slavery to maybe the 60's, White men and Black women coupling and some had at least one child together. Practically all of the White men abandoned the mostly secret affair and the child. These children were mostly fatherless, except a few, and almost no marriages occurred. Blacks have used that as an example to Black women of what White men would do if they allow them. 

A prominent difference between White men and Black women relationships then and Black men and White relationships now is that the latter's relationships are not secretive, and some of them marry. This has been used as a lesson to Black women.

8. Vega Vallari profile image74
    Vega Vallariposted 10 years ago

© Nicole Paschal, All Rights Reserved
    If you grew up in the 90’s like me, you may know of the twin actresses Tia and Tamera Mowry. Recently the twins sat down with Oprah Winfrey to discuss their lives in one of Oprah’s “Where are they... read more

9. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

I find the whole race idea nonsense. Most black people are not "black," either; they're mixed, so the terms are messed up. President Obama is white! But he's also black! He's mixed. And if someone has 90% white and 10% black, are they still considered "black?" In some circles, perhaps. But what does it all mean? Nothing!

In the mid-80's, I dated a woman who had a medium-dark-brown skin and the loveliest smile I had ever seen. Alas! I didn't move fast enough. That was Los Angeles.

Now, I'm married and live in the Philippines. She's dark -- a nice medium brown, but the color means nothing. She wishes that she was white. I tell her that she looks beautiful just the way she is.

What really matters is Love. These bodies are temporary anyway.

God created us in His image and likeness and He is definitely not Homo sapiens. So, what does that say about the real us? We don't have color, because our Father in Heaven doesn't have color.

10. profile image56
    Andy Flaniganposted 9 years ago

Who says this is the case to begin with?
    Is there quantitative data to back this statement up?
    Certainly not a given (I'm white have dated three black women for extended periods) but more to the point, how are you able to establish your theory that black women and white men are the least likely to date out of their race?

11. profile image52
    Ms Data Divaposted 7 years ago

I have dated white men and it has been a wonderful experience. I am waiting for my prince to come along so that we can get married.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)