Being right or being happy?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Quirinus profile image60
    Quirinusposted 11 years ago

Being right or being happy?

If you had to make a choice between being right (having proven yourself to have the best arguments) or being happy, which would you choose? Why? Can you illustrate by example? Thanks

2. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 11 years ago

It would depend on what the consequences are. Take an argument with your parents for example. You may be right when in an argument with them, but they hold the reins in the household so it would do you no good to push the issues too hard. I guess in certain circumstances it would mean dealing with things in another way.

Quirinusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your example, midget38. Sometimes it makes one wonder when/how can it be possible for disagreeing parties to first understand (the other person) than seek to be understood. Stephen Covey mentioned about the value of this habit.

2. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and to disagree agreeably! Think Win WIn, as Covey also says.

3. Quirinus profile image60

Or are we just being too optimistic in believing that it's possible to come up with a Win-Win situation each time? smile

3. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Being right all the time can lead to a lonely existence, which can lead to unhappiness.

Being happy at the expense of ethical and moral integrity means that one puts a temporary emotional state of mind ahead of integrity, which can lead to unhappiness and hell fire.

The third player in this scenario is wisdom. Wisdom should be administered, such that, being right lends itself to the greater good, not a temporary ego boost.

Being right does not give one license to be a jerk, or lord it over other people. Sometimes, one has to look at the greater good and must, therefore, choose to be wise instead of right.

Thanks, CJ. Gives me food for thought. You are right about wisdom. Lonely sages have a rich inner life that require no external affirmation to provide for happiness.

4. Holisticity profile image58
    Holisticityposted 11 years ago

I think to be happy is to look at the full picture and see that you don't have to be right all the time, so long as the best outcome is achieved.

Agree, Holisticity. Getting as much of a complete picture before making a stand, to factor everything and EVERYONE in as much as possible is important. It takes some discernment though to be able to gather straight facts. Thanks

2. Holisticity profile image58
      Holisticityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

5. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

I would always choose being happy. I don't care much whether I am right or wrong. Even when I might think I am right, experience may teach me otherwise. So I try not to hold steadfastly to any right or wrong concepts. They change as soon as more information comes to the fore. To some I might be right, to some I may be wrong. Whether I am or not will depend on their perception so why worry, stay happy.

I am pretty much the same with others. If they think they are right and it disagrees with my own view. Doesn't matter. Stay happy!

Agreed, right/wrong may actually be relative to a number of things, e.g. the point of view.  Which leads to the thought that a point of view can be influenced by the words used to represent it, which only approximates the actual fact.

6. loveofnight profile image74
    loveofnightposted 11 years ago

I agree with CJ Sledgehammer being right is not always what it is cracked up to be. We do have to look at the whole picture and examine the final results of our actions. midget38 also made a good point in that you have to choose your battles, sometimes you just can't win. I choose to be happy knowing that time will reveal my position in the end.

I just came from commenting on newcalendar's answer, then what do I see? We're thinking the same thoughts. Awesome! As I mentioned in my welcome page, I am a sucker for synchronicity.  Thanks, loveofnight.

7. newcalendar profile image59
    newcalendarposted 11 years ago

Absolutely being happy. Not always that easy though with certain people. One of my best friend is constantly trying to be right about everything, it's really hard not to tell him he's wrong.

We share the same experience. I can absolutely understand where you're coming from. I need to consciously refrain from speaking my mind, to keep the peace. Sometimes I get lucky and my friend by him/herself eventually discerns what is right.

2. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess I don't mind if someone is right. What I mind is when they insist they are right, but don't know what they are talking about, yet are willing to draw lines in the sand and fight to the death.

3. Quirinus profile image60

I do mind too when someone who is wrong insists on being right; my usual  mode might be to argue. But I try to consciously decide whether the person might still be open to explanations. If not, I pray for the person reach their own insight.

8. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Happy will be my choice.

Sometimes, it is okay to forgo of being right and letting it be as you can be happier. It is like a heated argument with your wife, even though you may be right but letting it be will make your wife and yourself happier.

9. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

I would choose to be happy every time no matter the situation.  Why because the spirit is always seeking pleasure.  If I feel the need to prove myself right that is more me trying to make my ego happy, in most cases.  I believe in karma, so no matter what we do eventually we will have to get the karma for it good or bad.  This knowledge helps me to rationalize why "bad" things happen to "good" people. 

I know that I do not have all the answers so trying to prove myself right is not always worth it, especially if matters are based on personal beliefs.  I do not think that it is worth my time to try to convince some one about what I personally believe. 

Now if I see that there is some abuse, I would be happy to try to put a stop to the abuse because I think that is the right ting to do, if Im am successful or not is a differnt matter.  I think that the two should coincide for the best results.  One should be happy doing the right thing even if it is difficult.

I hope this meets you well. Have a wonderful day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)