Should there be a ban on buying assault weapon for individual or personal use?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image60
    alexandriaruthkposted 11 years ago

Should there be a ban on buying assault weapon for individual or personal use?

In view of the recent Aurora massacre that killed a dozen people and wounded nearly 60, the suspect used an assault weapon and other deadly ones. He bought all the weapons in the past month or so.

Assault weapons are used by people who are assigned for general security of the people.

Should an individual be allowed to buy an assault weapon knowing that it can be used to kill in successive and fastest ways?

2. Jack Burton profile image79
    Jack Burtonposted 11 years ago

It would help if alex had any real clue as to what an assault weapon really was. If you go to my hubs you'll see an article that explains in five minutes more than most people learn about them in a lifetime.

Assault Weapons: Evil Black Rifles (or perhaps not)

1. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd edit that definition to read, "Assault Rifle (n.): a photogenically evil-looking, black rifle demagogging politicians can use as a cheap prop to help fool the voters into thinking they actually are trying to 'do something.'"

2. alexandriaruthk profile image60
      alexandriaruthkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My father own one of those and as such living during those times when I was a kid, that put our lives in danger. We had problems about peace in the area! It doesn't make sense when weapon should protect lives and yet it is also used to kill as many.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

I think both sides can be unreasonable. An outright ban isn't necessarily effective and won't be fair to responsible people who want them for legitimate use.

However, it seems worthwhile, to examine the pathways through which these weapons end up in the hands of criminals and try to restrict those pathways in a way which doesn't restrict legitimate pathways. What exactly is so terrible about at least having that discussion?

The other side, however, seems to immediately say no to anything other than completely unrestricted access. It is an unreasonable position. And than some of them will try and pretend that tactical rifles, like the AR-15, are just like any other hunting rifle. If people can't be honest about the relative capabilities of different weapon systems than it makes a reasonable debate difficult.

1. Jack Burton profile image79
      Jack Burtonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

js KNOWS that the Oct. '09 issue of Outdoor Life, the premier magazine of hunting/fishing, prominently featured an AR rifle on it's front cover, and declared it one of the top ten deer hunting rifles of the year. Ask yourself... why does he lie?

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A high-end platform performing mundane tasks well, does not mean a mundane platform performs well at high-end tasks. That's a logical fallacy. I have no reason to be deceptive. Anyone with eyes can see the differences for themselves.

3. Jack Burton profile image79

junk obviously believes that he knows better about what makes a top hunting gun over the experts at Outdoor Life. So be it.  Leading a horse to the truth isn't going to make him believe it. And he wants a "reasonable" debate?

4. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't think the people at Outdoor life had political aim for that? I have already said they should be legal but the AR 15 is not a hunting rifle, it's the civilian version of the US M16 combat rifle, it's made to kill people, we both know that.

5. junkseller profile image78

Who gives a crap about top hunting guns. What we are talking about are TOP TACTICAL GUNS of which the AR-15 is one. It is a great hunting gun BECAUSE it is a great weapon period. I think your Outdoor Life mag is the closest you've ever been to a gun.

6. Jack Burton profile image79

Yes, Josak, the Outdoor Life mag is nothing but a political rag. :0 And junk is the one who's been claiming all along that the AR platform is not good for hunting. Good to see that he's come around and now believes that it is.

7. junkseller profile image78

Jack, you really are dense. Please point out the spot where I said it wasn't good for hunting. I have said it wasn't designed for it. I have said it is a good tactical rifle. That's all. Stop making shit up.

8. Blond Logic profile image93
      Blond Logicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As the question of hunting is raised, I would like to ask , where is the sport in killing an animal with an assault rifle. If a hunter is skilled in tracking and killing, an ordinary rifle or a crossbow would suffice.

9. Jack Burton profile image79

junko,, you stated people "pretend" it is a hunting rifle. Blond, check out my hub on Evil Black Rifles and you'll find your answer in great detail. Go ahead, it only takes five minutes to read.

10. junkseller profile image78

Pretend it is "just like any other hunting rifle" is what I said. Not, "pretend it is a hunting rifle". Those are distinctly different statements.

11. Jack Burton profile image79

Fires same caliber as hunting rifle - check. First 1 bullet at a time as hunting rifle -- check. Used as hunting rifle - check. Excellent "pretense" going on there. Smells like a duck, walks and quacks like a duck... well, we all know the rest.

12. junkseller profile image78

All weapons could be evaluated for their tactical capacities (e.g. weight, ROF, ammo cap, accuracy, maneuverability, accessories, etc.) Of legal guns, the AR-15 would rate near the top. Do you disagree? I really don't care what we call it.

13. Jack Burton profile image79

Sure it's the top... which is rather pointless.  When the lever action was invented for the Civil War it was the top also. The war rifle Mauser bolt action was the top 50 years later. Both became premier, traditional hunting rifles.Same with the AR

14. junkseller profile image78

Most people seem to agree with placing restrictions on highly capable weapons such as machine guns. I don't find it pointless or unreasonable to at least consider shifting that line to include other very capable weapons.

15. Martinblade1 profile image60
      Martinblade1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We can argue about this as much as we like, but it doesn't change what happened.  As I wrote in my hub about the criminal mind, taking away the gun only takes away one tool while leaving the criminal free to find another tool.

It will never work.

16. junkseller profile image78

So, who cares what tools they use? By that logic, let's sell rocket launchers, Sarin gas, and Dynamite to anyone who has a hankering for such stuff. It is difficult, so let's no try is an unacceptable argument to me.

4. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 11 years ago

Yes, simply because assault weapons are tools they have good uses and bad uses, they are great defense items and can also be used for ill it happens that assault weapons are the mot and largely the only effective weapon in war or civil insurrection of any sort and we should remember that the second amendment was written with the purpose of giving civilians a way to resist an oppressive government and or an invading army, do I think either of those things are close? No, but we live in an unstable world and it always pays to be prepared just in case, it happened in my home country and no one thought it would there is no reason it could not happen in the US.

There are some weapons which can kill as many as it can with rapid firing??

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

While assault weapons make people cringe, he could have killed them horrifically using several revolvers, instead of the assault rifle.  The gun, or rifle is not the problem.  It is the mentally unstable person who kills with no conscience but believe me someone bent on killing will find a weapon whether gun, rifle or as in the case of terrorist, a bomb to commit their horrific act.

How about motive, when one purchase assault weapon - the main purpose is to use for assault. Thanks for commenting.

2. Martinblade1 profile image60
      Martinblade1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

By your own definition, Alex, all weapons should be classified as assault weapons, even knifes and clubs. All weapons are created to do harm, that is their purpose. There is a difference between using a weapon to kill game and using it to kill a man.

3. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We can't police motive.  At that point we are getting into the "thought police" mode.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)