What do you think we should take from the movie massacre as a society?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. brittvan22 profile image74
    brittvan22posted 11 years ago

What do you think we should take from the movie massacre as a society?

This was a very devistation and heart wretching tragedy, where 12 people lost their lives and many others fought in hospitals for their own. Is there something that we as a society can learn from this ordeal? Can we turn this negative into not necessarily a positive, but a grow point, where we try to alleviate or lower the change of a repeat performance?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6933748_f260.jpg

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

Yes: By truly examining what is behind it and questioning everything we hear about it. Inquiry is intelligent, blind following is not perceptive. The shooter was on some heavy pharmaceutical drugs, that's one thing we could be looking at; because it's common for shooters to be on prescription drugs.

1. brittvan22 profile image74
      brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you hear he was on drugs, because I thought they said he wasnt on anything, might be wrong though! Clarify please!

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this
    3. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I looked it up and the jail said he was taking no medications there but there are rumors of both vicodin and an anti psychotic medication prior to arrest.

4. brittvan22 profile image74

Oh ok, I will check it out, thanks, my what an interesting mix?

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

There is ZERO ways of keeping something like this from happening again. All we can do is not pay attention blindly to the media or believe everything we hear. If Nate is correct about him being on medications this needs to seriously be looked at. Christopher Pittman is still sitting in jail after killing his grandparents during an adverse reaction to Zoloft when he was only 12, 11 years ago. Medications can lead to horrible outcomes. I actually just wrote a hub today about how we need to come to understand that people do NOT do this kind of thing because they are bored. People who do these types of things have serious issues. Normal people don't go around comitting mass murders.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I do not think metal detectors or extra security at theatres will solve the problem. Prescription meds are a band-aid solution. First of all, this country has always been violent (200 years ago, a US Vice President gunned down the leader of the opposing political party over a personal matter). If anything, the acts of violence have decreased every year since those days, but the weapon technology available today makes each act more violent than previously imagined. The problem here is systemic in our culture. We have to ask him and find out why he did this. I think if he can't think of a reason, I would blame it on sexual angst. This has led to more than a few random acts of violence by boys in school or college--or other men in other situations. The pieces are all there: he was a comic book fan; he was socially awkward, etc. Apparently he tried to get dates online. There seems to be a correlation between young men who can't get laid and young men who want to shoot up a room full of people. Rather than make guns illegal, I think it would be easier for states to legalize and regulate prostitution.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think what you're saying is very true with great insight. We've got to seriously and reasonably look at all these issues that lead to these problems.

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting theory, but there were more sexually frustrated young men decades ago, when sex before marriage was a no-no. Yet there weren't more of these crimes.

3. brittvan22 profile image74

I agree Nate. @Mazzy now you got me thinking (dangerous). I'm going to check your hubs your might type of thinker! Must be a Virgo, lol!

5. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

I don't know what we should take, but I do have a pretty good idea what we shouldn't take from this situation.  People love to take the opportunity to post in forums, argue with friends, and in general create havoc over a scene they weren't even involved in.  Some do it just to see other peoples reactions, others to see how awesome they are at typing, and I'm sure there's other ulterior motives out there as well.  A couple U.S. service members (former and current) died in the shooting from what I hear, while they shouldn't be put on a pedestal above the other victims.  I have noticed a few other prior service members running around screaming about why we shouldn't have gun control, calling people idiots, and in general being a nuisance.  Not once have I seen them take a step back to mention the people (including former military bretheren).  Then on the other side I see people using it as a ploy to exert their political views to try and convince people now is the time to act in favor of gun control.  Again using it as a platform to indoctrinate views instead of focusing on the actual event.  Pretty much, to sum things up, I think people should learn not to burn bridges every time they see an opportunity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)