Do you believe it is amoral to buy a pet when the animal rescue centers are burs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. tobusiness profile image81
    tobusinessposted 11 years ago

Do you believe it is amoral to buy a pet when the animal rescue centers are bursting at the seams?

When walking our recently rescued dog in the our local park yesterday, my husband and myself stopped and exchanged a few words with a very nice gentle man who expressed his belief that it is amoral to buy a dog when so many need good homes.
    This made me stop and think, but what do you think is it amoral?

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

All the animal rescue centers where I live charge for you to adopt a pet from them, so unless you adopt from a person giving away animals payment will be involved.

To me, what is immoral is when people who do not have the resources, time and genuine desire to acquire an animal and provide proper care for it for the entire rest of its natural life.

1. tobusiness profile image81
      tobusinessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that people should be able to provide for the animals in their care, some just abandon these animals without caring what happens to them.
      Most rescue centers do charge, but the money goes to the care and upkeep of the animals.

2. libby1970 profile image68
      libby1970posted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. But the shelters neuter or spay these animals and catch their shots up, and also screen them for violent behavior. I paid 100 for my boxer... but in reality it would have cost me more to get his shots caught up and neuter him...so I saved money

3. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 11 years ago

tobusiness,

I know it's better to rescue an animal rather than go to a breeder or a pet shop.
    I've purchased an animal and I've rescued an animal. Every time I spend time with my rescued pet I feel happy that he didn't get killed and that I'm the one who made sure of this. It's a great feeling.

Lisa

4. MarcusJ profile image60
    MarcusJposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't say it is amoral but I really don't think most people are aware that sometimes when you buy a puppy or dog you may be aiding puppy mills. These puppy mills care only for profit and don't care for the dogs properly. I will never again get a dog from anywhere other than rescue centers or animal shelters. It comes down to personal choice. Paying for a dog when there are so many dogs who need a loving home for me is thoughtless but not amoral.

5. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 11 years ago

As much as I hate the idea of supporting puppy mills, puppies that aren't bought at the pet stores will end up in the rescue homes or worse. So I'm of the opinion that until our laws crack down on senseless breeding practices of greedy, heartless suppliers you can be assured that taking a puppy/dog from either a pet store or animal shelter is not a wasted effort. They all need a good home and abiding love.

1. libby1970 profile image68
      libby1970posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true. However, the more people buy at these places, the more reason to keep breeding. So if people become aware of the situation they're more likely to adopt than buy and it would keep these breeders from producing more pups.

6. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

I don't know about it being immoral. I think it's sad though. My dog, a boxer, I rescued from PAWS. He was only six months old. He had been adopted out once before and the person who adopted him said he could not be potty trained. I adopted him anyway and had him potty trained within a day. He was the easiest of all my dogs. Apparently this person didn't take the time. He is the sweetest dog...it's as though he knows I saved his life. They were going to put him down if I hadn't adopted him. Sad! I think if anyone wants a dog it's best to adopt. You are not only saving a life you are making a life-long, best friend. My dog sleeps with me and is always with me. To me it's a personal choice...but you are doing a very good thing by adopting a pet that needs a home so badly. Some people are going to buy a puppy no matter what you tell them. It's their choice. It's sad when there are already dogs and puppies that need homes. One thing I've noticed about adopting that makes the decision even more greater to adopt is these pets are already spade or neutered, they're already up to date on their shots, and they are screened for being violent...what else could a person ask for?

7. Diana Hernandez profile image60
    Diana Hernandezposted 11 years ago

I would not call it amoral. I would say naive or neglectful. Breeding animals can be a cruel business. There are several puppy mills all over the country that are left abandoned. Harsh conditions, starvation, and disease are common situations these puppies must learn to survive. If there were no demand for the "perfect pet," the number of puppy mills could hopefully decrease. Personally, I believe the animal rescue centers are the ideal locations to find a pet. Millions of dogs are put to death every year because of the insane number of abandoned animals. A puppy is a puppy, regardless of where it came from or how it looks.

8. alvairs profile image59
    alvairsposted 11 years ago

No it is not immoral to buy a pet. But one should consider the mental state of the animal that is in the shelter, and decide if he/she are willing to spend the time to build back trust in the animal as well as nurturing it back to a healthy state of mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)