How do you feel when someone has chosen the Best Answer to his own question?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

How do you feel when someone has chosen the Best Answer to his own question?

Before the option of choosing the best answer was introduced, I felt that all answers are important and interesting because the mystery of what author of the question thought made it open for thought.  Now, every time I see when the BEST answer is chosen, I feel nothing but the bias of the one who asked the question.  As if the only thing that the author is seeking is the confirmation of his own opinion. And when the author says "thank you"  and comments to every answer but yours, I feel like I should not have bothered in the first place. What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6966435_f260.jpg

2. rutley profile image63
    rutleyposted 11 years ago

Funny, I thought we were supposed to choose the best answer......I don't make a choice because I think all the answers are good!

3. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

I also noticed the introduction of the "best answer" choice. Terrible, in my opinion.

The "best answer" choice is indeed a lovely pool to swim in for all those bursting egos. I have to ask myself, what if the one posing the question was misguided to begin with? His/her choice of "best answers" would be also misguided.

Blah ... In this way everyone is entitled to being a judge over the opinion of other people, even when it is not necessary. It is good for those with little self-esteem, I suppose - it may let them feel a little more important. Like: "Hey, I get to chose the BEST answer!". Haha!!

Have a great week Kallini!. Cheers. : )

P.S. Keep the Spirit up.

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

I always answer with the hope that it will be meaningful and useful to others. Worrying too much about the popularity type aspects can drive you nuts.

I agree that picking a best answer because of matching bias isn't really the best way to use it, but I also think it can be a somewhat useful feature. I don't really mind it as a way of rewarding a particularly good or thoughtful answer. And if it is actually used to select the best answer, that can be helpful for future viewers. It can also help to clarify the information that the questioner was hoping to receive. Sometimes that isn't always very obvious.

Anyway, I've liked what I have seen from you, so hope you don't get too discouraged.

5. RebuildingJobs profile image60
    RebuildingJobsposted 11 years ago

Yea, I can see your opinion if you spent a lot of time and thought into answering the question. But, then again, it's not to say that if he goes off implementing his own answer that he might not come back to your answer. You may have just provided him with another option. One thing that I have discovered is: what would work for us doesn't always work for someone else exactly how it has worked for us. The other may take the premise of the option but modify it to suit his own capabilities or needs, which is ok. It's also ok to listen to options provided by others and to choose which option is best for that person. I think if the person still asked for your opinion and still chose his own hasn't gone to waste on your part, since the option you have explained has been especially validated in your own experience and mind's eye and you have also given your option a voice and language through expression. THAT in itself is powerful because the experience of voicing your ideas allows you the freedom to move from generalities to delving into specifics. Your knowledge isn't for naught! yikes)

6. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

My first reaction is that I'm thrilled when I get a Best Answer notice. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job, because I'm here to help people.

With regard to the other issues, I think we, as readers, are free to assign meaning, or not, as we choose. Clearly, "Best Answer" reflects only the author's opinion, and only among the answers given. I don't give it any more meaning than that. I can read all the answers and appreciate the diversity and dialog. I can also learn more about the author of the question and get to know him or her better by seeing what he or she chose. And sometimes, a Best Answer can brighten my day by pulling a real gem out of a pile of coal.

I think we can use Best Answer well as readers, and also not let it ruin our reading, by simply ignoring it if it isn't helpful.

7. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Which answer gets chosen as best is not important, sometimes what answer the person asking is looking for is not important to me either. I answer a question if it interests me, whether a best answer has been chosen or not. As for comments, it's nice to get comments if they're meaningful, but I hope it doesn't become expected to comment on every answer to every question. I do choose a best answer if I can.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. My view on selecting the best answer is this - if it's time to select the best answer, the question must be closed. I think "the best" creates the atmosphere of competition, not thinking and sharing.

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

I know I'm not getting selected as "Best Answer" for this response, but...

I think that the best answer feature is great for questions that objective right and wrong answers.  For example if someone asks "How often should I water a spider plant and how much water should I give it each time?" there are many possible wrong answers that will kill the plant. By selecting a best answer to this hypothetical question, the asker sets it apart and above the obviously wrong answers.

I agree that the "Best Answer" feature is abused for subjective questions that are a matter of opinion. Usually the asker will reward the answer that confirms his or her own bias. 

Of course, the voting feature is also abused since people will vote down opinions that they disagree with, or vote down superior answers out of jealousy--some people who answer questions feel like they are competing with the other answerers. For this reason, fellow answerers aren't the best judge of what is the "best answer." Ultimately, letting the asker decide is the fairest option.

This is all just my opinion and you are free to vote it up or down as you wish. In the grand scheme of things, what happens on HP Answers is not all that important!

I am seriously re-thinking my strategy of dealing with questions - but one of my rules is - if I asked a question and I got an answer - my vote is always UP - meaning "thank you for taking the trouble".  Unless it is abusive or inappropriate.

9. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 11 years ago

I joined after the introduction of the best choice answer, so I guess from a newbie perspective it doesn't bother me either way.  The only time I scratched my head was when someone asked a medical question to a procedure I use to do on people when I worked in the medical field and they marked me down for it.  Other than that, whether it be on HP or in real life, I learned through trial and error even if you give advice that is fantastic.  They can shake their head up and down in agreement, act as if you've given them a new perspective in life.  Then, they turn around the next day and do the exact opposite to the advice anyway.  So, I just learned that it's advice that's on the table for people to use if they so choose.  Otherwise, I don't get to worked up about stuff.  =-P

Yes, you are quite right - I once asked the doctor who gave in my opinion and opinions of others rather questionable advice "Are you not afraid? Will you feel responsible later?"  and he said "No, people don't follow advice anyways".

10. Jeff Gamble profile image60
    Jeff Gambleposted 11 years ago

In the grand scheme, does it really matter? Just as with the ability to vote answers up and down. An answer is just an answer

In the grand scheme - nothing matters.  There is a new principle to consider - "It's not important".  I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)