Do human beings focus more on the qualities that separate us or those that unite

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Born2care2001 profile image73
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

Do human beings focus more on the qualities that separate us or those that unite us?

If you read, listen to or watch the news, participate in politics or other like activities it seems as though the buzz is always about what separates us. I would like your opinion on the subject.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6894871_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

Their differences, look at all the organizations based on differences, e.g. ideologies, religion, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, nationality, hobbies, music, etc.

The only groups that focus more on uniting us are some religions, and I guess the U.N.

Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ricklicea!
      And even those you mention have an agenda which sometimes becomes exclusive. I appreciate your answer.

3. Lucky Cats profile image80
    Lucky Catsposted 11 years ago

It sure does seem so, doesn't it? Particularly Western Hemisphere; we appear to focus primarily on the negative.  "If it bleeds...it leads." A credo, it seems, for so much of what we see on any news source available.  Sadly; the huge majority of what is offered leans towards the negative.   I believe this is fear motivated; something "we" don't understand or a belief system / race, ethnicity, (as rickylicea says), ideologies, life styles  that are different than "ours."  "Birds of a feather fly together."  For the most part, throughout history and now, this  little phrase describes the way in which living beings behave.  If we are unaccustomed to or not a "part" of  that which we confront; we act in several ways...one of which is to fear..and this causes the negativity, focus on the difference rather than seeing similarities.....Some cultures are less so, I beieve;  or, perhaps, more tolerant but still hold a feeling of being separate.  The news media feeds on this.  It foments "excitement" or a sense of being "alert," which has been stimulated by our most base fears....   Or Not.

Thanks Lucky Cats! I agree and until I find a higher species I think I'll choose to fly with the flock of humans even though I'm aware of the carnivores chomping on my tail feathers! I'll just keep flapping!(Chuckle)

4. flashmakeit profile image61
    flashmakeitposted 11 years ago

I believe that news reporters expose wrong and do not have the ability to improve the world because they state facts which are usually negative.  I think the thing that unites people is sharing a common interest because if people have the same interest that usually unites them to share ideas like fishing.

Thank you for your answer, flashmakeit. I wonder, can news reporters, or politicians or people choose to focus on news without negativity? What impact would that have on improving our world?

2. flashmakeit profile image61
      flashmakeitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You got that right if they did focus on innovations people could learn things and help improve the world.

5. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I agree that we should focus more on what unites us. It's the 'ego' [in Greek it means  'I'] that keeps the better behaviour lagging behind. Reporters' sensationalism is also to blame. The truth is that in everything that separates us there are similarities.
    e.g. Greeks-Turks : both religious and family oriented
           Greeks-Texans: very proud of their heritage etc.

in case you're wondering why Texans, well I grew up in Houston.

Thank you Garifalia!
      I always wondered why one of the most populated states in the country was called the "Lone Star" state!
      Great points here too!

6. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

Depends if you are a pessimist or an optimist. Given the vitriol seen in Washington, the answer may be that humans focus on the qualities that separate us. However, during 9/11, Americans put their difference aside and focused on what unites us as a nation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)