How do you stop bad feelings from entering your mind?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Magdelene profile image82
    Magdeleneposted 11 years ago

How do you stop bad feelings from entering your mind?

How do you stop feelings of strong dislike from entering your mind of a person or persons who have caused both emotional and financial distress in you life? I do not wish to waste my time thinking of the past wrongs and want to move on, how do you just make these feelings go away?

2. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image80
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 11 years ago

I work with this issue as a Master Life Coach daily, and I have found that what causes people to be triggered from being treated bad or why we carry deep resentments (wrongs done to us, real or imaged) is that we have form core beliefs about ourselves that have rooted deeply into our subconscious. These core beliefs influence us on what we are or are not, what we can have or have not, or what we can do or not do. These self messages (real or not) that we form about ourselves makeup the foundation of our identity and cause us to focus on issues, matters, feeling or ideas even when we do not want to. These self messages will either motivated us to success or block us from them. So check into your Personal Philosophy, go to the first level - Core Beliefs. Search and find the core beliefs that keeps you holding to bad feeling or wrongs you don't want you continue to hold onto. You the change it and shift the original. Start a new foundation of core beliefs by breaking free from the old one.

Magdeleneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your input Dr. I'm definitely going to look into your articles some more.

2. profile image0
      Billie Paglioloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dr. T,  After reading your post, I started thinking about what's at the core of my belief system and I was shocked.  As an only child I always felt deprived having no brothers and sisters and have LIVED feeling deprived. Thank you for that insight!

3. maddot profile image65
    maddotposted 11 years ago

Answer is simple!
    Meditate..when the strong feeling of dislike comes into your mind be aware that  it is just a thought..train your mind to identify this, step back and look at your mind.
    Start with just sitting still, close your eyes and concentrate on the breath as it passes over your top lip, the thoughts will arise but continue to take the mind back to the breath. Do this 21 times everytime you feel the need. (great way to start the day and end it).
    Mindfulness is very powerful, calming and rewarding.

4. Crissylite profile image76
    Crissyliteposted 11 years ago

I wrote a Hub on this topic a while back. I hope it is helpful. http://crissylite.hubpages.com/hub/LoveAnyway

5. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 11 years ago

You're absolutely right about not wasting your time to thinking of the past wrongs.  I like to distract myself by keeping myself busy.  Since I am not an outgoing person, I like to listen to music, read a book, watch a movie, go for a walk in the neighborhood during my free time.  As time goes by, those unhappy memories will fade.  So keep yourself busy and leave no space for bad memories to stay.  It worked for me and I hope it'll work for you too.  Take care!

6. profile image0
    Billie Paglioloposted 11 years ago

I wrote an answer about this before, but here's a little trick I modified from a suggestion by a counselor.  He had asked me why I continued to feed the monster?  The image of a monster didn't work for me, so instead I decided to imagine a dragon.  I seem to be able to imagine him off of my left shoulder.   Whenever I start thinking about the past and the hurt I've felt,  I imagine that I'm ready to hand the dangerous dragon something to eat and I DON'T WANT TO.  I turn instead to the beautiful dragon that I imagine off my right shoulder.  It's a sweet, kind, and smiley dragon - like from the old movie "Pete's Dragon."   I turn away from the harmful dragon and turn towards the good dragon and feed him.  How do I feed him?  I feed him by getting right back to my work, doing something worthwhile, thinking of a gift I'm going to buy for my friend, someplace fun I want to go for the weekend, etc.  (You get the picture).  I immediately start in that direction and imagine the kind and gentle dragon smiling and growing more beautiful.  I turn all my attention in that direction.  I'm quite old to be thinking about dragons, but it's just a little image that seems to help me focus in a postive direction. It works better for me than concentrating on the breathing that people find successful in meditation. This is a bit more fun for me and makes me smile.  If it ends up working for you, I'd love to know.   Cheers, Billie

Magdeleneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Using your dragon method may certainly work, especially since I am a big fan of dragons; thank you for the great idea.

7. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 11 years ago

The best way is to not try to stop . It will just double - up . Human nature ;-)

8. profile image0
    AndriyRposted 11 years ago

My way is just to realize that the past exists only in my mind, in other words - it is not real. That is why I visualize my life as a roll of paper behind and in front of me. What's behind is the past, what's ahead - is the future. Where I am right now - is present. Then I just tear off the past and the future parts of the roll and end up with a small piece of paper. This gives me a feeling of peace.

1. profile image0
      Billie Paglioloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that reminds me of a quote that says something to the effect that you can't steer your boat looking at the wake behind

9. anuws profile image60
    anuwsposted 11 years ago

Get busy yourself doing something fruitful. meet friends who makes you happy. when you get the bad feeling, start thinking about the good things which you did in the past. good times you spent. smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)