What is your opinion of all the Hubs that are written as tributes to other Hubbe

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

What is your opinion of all the Hubs that are written as tributes to other Hubbers?

I see a lot of Hubs written thanking followers and just tributes in general to them.  I think that is a wonderful idea, but just wonder how they show up in Google search engines.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Hubs that are written as a tribute to other Hubbers will not do well on Google.  They are a way to communicate with your followers and friends, but eventually after your followers and friends have finished looking at them, they will become idle.

I have stopped writing such hubs.  Even though they serve as back links to these fellow writers, I find that I am better off serving them in other ways, like reading and commenting on their hubs, friending them on other social networking sites, sharing their hubs, etc. This takes less time, helps them, and keeps my account from getting logged down with idle hubs.

3. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

Mary, I compliment you for having the nerve to ask because I've wondered the same about this and needless questions that are asked. I understand that we have the freedom to write hubs on just about anything and to question in like manner. But if money-making isn't the real point and doing everything in our power to get traffic and good results, couldn't we simply maintain a blog or personal website instead?

Instead, we balk at HubPages for coming up with Idle Status that was designed to aid us and push Google off our backs for producing such poor content. I appreciate my fellow hubbers, people like yourself who contribute to this site being a pleasurable place to share ideas and information--and I can appreciate you better by commenting on, linking to, and sharing your hubs, among other things. But devoting full-blown articles to you is far-fetched in my opinion. It defeats the point of writing on HubPages.

Some will disagree, I know, but the HP leadership must frown on it when considering their desire for HubPages becoming a high-quality content site.

4. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 11 years ago

I really enjoy them because they introduce me to Hubbers I might not have been aware of otherwise. I also love the overall positive vibe it encourages around here. It makes HubPages feel like an even more supportive community for writers (if that's even possible.) What keeps me coming back to HubPages isn't the money, it's connecting with fellow writers and the sense of community.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is not all about the money, that is why I have written several myself. I really enjoy the camaraderie that it creates to get to know the writers.  But Google and HubPages will not like it.

5. Heather Says profile image95
    Heather Saysposted 11 years ago

Very truthfully, they drive me insane.  Every time I see another one is published, I find myself saying, "ugh, who cares?!"  It's like a lunchtable clicque of people just writing hubs about one another.  I write for the internet as a whole and total strangers do not care about the intimate details of someone here on HP.  Tributes and tribute installments are personal blog entries-- not informative articles that make HP successful.  You can call me rude or jealous, but I know I can't be the only person who feels this way.  The true irony here would be writing a hub about people who write hubs about each other.

1. ithabise profile image72
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha!Ha!

6. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I think they are such a nice gesture and really appreciate the thanks for following them. I have learned about other hubbers on this site as a result, all good stuff.  Although you may not have all those hubbers actually reading your works and posting, it is nice to acknowledge them. I believe it is promoting community spirit, which is what keeps everyone interested and supportive.  As an income generator, it probably isn't due to content, but it's the good will towards your neighbor that is valued.

7. davidlivermore profile image91
    davidlivermoreposted 11 years ago

I always thought hubs are meant to provide useful information for the general audience or on a specific topic that someone is searching for.  When I go hub-hopping I see these types of hubs.  Unfortunately i just bypass them and move on to the next hub.

8. Wesley Meacham profile image61
    Wesley Meachamposted 11 years ago

I've been wondering about this too.

My best hypothesis is that it is intended to be promotional. If two hubers each have 1000 followers and only, say, 100 are in common. Then if hubber A writes a hub about hubber B then hubber B is now essentially being advertised to 900 people who are currently not in his group of followers. If hubber B then reciprocates then in theory both hubbers have benefited in the same way and maybe their number of followers will increase for each of them. In addition each person has created backlinks to the other's account. Again in theory this should be beneficial. In practice I would have no idea since I've never done it.

But this is all just me making guesses. Different people may have very different reasons and it would be hard to speculate on a common motivation. Some are likely just thinking "I love what this guy writes, let me share it as much as I possibly can with others..."

I've toyed around with some ideas for hubs that would probably be similar but have basically shelved those thoughts. Because at this stage of the game I'm much more interested in getting as much attention as I can from outside of HP. And my thought process is that hubs which are HP specific probably wont do that.  For the same reasons I'm avoiding publishing any creative writing here. There is nothing wrong with publishing poems or short stories but I imagine that these things would probably do better as ebook collections published through Smashwords or Scribed. Again I'm only guessing but I imagine that in those outlets there are more people looking for those things.

9. Au fait profile image84
    Au faitposted 11 years ago

I think it's a very thoughtful gesture on the part of the authors who write these tributes, and I do believe it encourages followers to give those people in the spotlight a look, which may mean more followers and commenters for them.

One thing that lots of people here do not seem to consider is that over time we all develop a following of people who especially like our writing for whatever reason.  They will often read whatever we write while ignoring the writing of other people on the very same subject.  For that reason we could all write about exactly the same subject and many of our followers would read our account and ignore everyone else's.  They would also read hubs that no one is likely to search for on any search engine simply because their favorite writer wrote them.

While doing well on Google is desirable, it is not all there is.  Followers not on hubpages who may have found us through friends of friends, or on Google, or some other search engine, may encourage their friends to read us and some of them may become followers also.  They may take a look at those people who have had a tribute written for them just because their favorite author recommended they do so and possibly become followers of them as well.

Since I have been honored to have a small paragraph in one of the hubs you describe, I think they're great.  I have enjoyed that small spotlight and I have appreciated learning about other hubbers I might never have discovered otherwise, who were also included in the same hub.

I think Millionaire Tips has great ideas too, and I often do the things MT encourages.  I really think the more we help each other the more we help ourselves.

1. xstatic profile image60
      xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have found many good writers by reading these tribute Hubs (including Au Fait). I like them for that reason. For a lot of writers on HP, it is not about money at all. It is a place to share and be creative.

10. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

I don't know why people write tributes to each other, but I have never been one who likes public "pats on the back", so to speak.  I find them a bit self serving.

I think everybody here knows how much we appreciate it when others follow us and read our hubs, but I think the right way to show that appreciation is to read their hubs as well.

While such articles do bring reads from followers, they are probably only temporary.  I don't read people because they thank me, I read them because I am interested in what they have to say or love their writing style.

But, to each his own!

11. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Whoa....I am going to say that I am shocked at some of the comments here, so far.
    It is ironic, for me, personally, since when I first jumped on board (literally, jumped) I joined via a friend's recommendation/invitation, so to speak.  I hadn't read very much in terms of what HP is all about.
    Thus, I had no idea for a while, that there was even a money-making opportunity involved.  It was certainly nice to find this out, but obviously, not a reason for me joining.  I had written for a local magazine for 5 years and simply tired of it entirely.
    But, like most writers, I need to write as I need to breathe.  Along came the HP opportunity and I went for it.
    I, for one, love the friendship/fellow-writer relationships very much.  In a little more than a year, I have established close bonds with quite a few very wonderful and intelligent individuals that I truly call "my friends," just as I do my long time friends in my real-life circle.
    I am also one who enjoys the hubs in question here.  I have discovered many new and talented writers and had the opportunity to follow their work, because of these hubs.  It is a kind gesture by the writer to acknowledge, thank and/or "introduce" them to the Hub community.  The writers who have written these hubs (myself included) ALSO write the productive, informative, informational and entertaining hubs that GOOGLE approves of.  So,one or two hubs on a personal note, should not cause google any panic.  However, I am sure that google,as well as HP can step in and put an end to anything they dislike, since they are the big kahunas.  If, as some have said here, that "google and HP doesn't like the non-money-making hubs," I believe they should SAY so or take some sort of action.
    Until and unless this occurs, I will continue to read the hubs of those writers I follow and enjoy reading.  If the hub is a tribute, then I appreciate it with the sincerity it is written, and comment in like manner.  "Who cares?"  I do.

1. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  I do enjoy reading more about my fellow Hubbers, but my question is whether or not Google finds them.  If not, do they just remain on "idle"?

12. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Well, I have really enjoyed reading about all of these hubbers, some I follow and some new faces, but in all of the interviews, I learned something new about someone I follow, or learn of a new wonderful hubber.  I think that is what is so great about HP --- is it is a community of love, encouragement and support, from what I have seen so far, for the most part.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)