Do you think companies should make some baby dolls marketed for boys?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Do you think companies should make some baby dolls marketed for boys?

Since times have changed and it is now normal for a father to care for his child should companies start making little boy baby dolls to market to boys? All the current baby dolls are marketed to girls.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7199771_f260.jpg

2. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

Interesting question.  I think doing so might help further promote the importance of family values but I think marketers would really have a tough time selling something like that.  Even though times are changing, I think they'd still be fighting a lot of stereotypes and stigmas.  I can see it happening some day, but not in the near future.

3. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 11 years ago

Oh, boy, that 's a good one. I'm not sure about marketing baby dolls per se for boys, but I do think there is a need for a more domestic type doll for boys. Right now about all they have are GI Joe and other action figures. Most boys wouldn't want to be caught playing with Ken, either, and after a certain age the action dolls are more appropriate. But for very small boys, I think domestic dolls are beneficial. My children's grandparents bought my boys each a baby doll when they were toddlers and they gave them up at an appropriate time. On the other hand, my little brother at about age 2 wanted a doll like my sister's doll. When my "very masculine" father wouldn't hear of his having one, he smashed her doll on a rock. It was a Christmas present and she was very hurt. She was only 3 years old. This problem would have been avoided if Daddy had let him have a doll.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

I don't believe toy companies will agree to that simply because the customer base for boys wanting baby dolls isn't as high as for girls.  It's not stereotyping but more statistics and marketing is a numbers game.

Also, I'd like to bring up a point;  why are we giving any credence to marketing or media in helping us choose what our children should be playing with?  If a boy wants a doll, it's ultimately up to the parent if he gets one, not up to the boy.  And if the parent wants to get one for his son, then get it.  He doesn't need a toy company commercial showing him "it's okay".

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bluntly we depend on marketing because people are stupid. Unless the the media tells them it's ok for their son to have a doll they aren't likely to buy one. Sad but true.

5. benisan85745 profile image61
    benisan85745posted 11 years ago

Well, they did come out with the "My Buddy" doll for boys, but that pretty much ensured that you would grow up alone and weird. MizBeJabbers, has is right, G.I. Joe is by far the most and only acceptable "doll" for boys. Men, however, collect action figures from their childhood, but again, it goes back to being weird and alone.

6. Novel Treasure profile image87
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

My husband was a stay at home dad while I finished school and I think that influenced my 2 year old son greatly, and in a positive way. He loves to play house and "mom and dad" with his older sister, in addition to playing with trucks and bugs.

They take the babies and cook dinner, or go to the grocery store, he even took the babies outside to push him on the swingset. We have babies that are dressed in blue and green so they aren't as girly as the pink ones.

So, I think it would be great if they marketed babies to all kids, not just for girls. What a great question!

7. Nettlemere profile image76
    Nettlemereposted 11 years ago

It might be a start if they produced some baby dolls that are male and marketed them neutrally. Maybe there are some these days (it's a long time since I looked), but when I was in the market for dolls they were all female.

8. iheartkafka profile image67
    iheartkafkaposted 11 years ago

I have no doubt that toy comapnies have already considered this product. If, based on market research, it seemed to be a profitable endevour, they would be offered to the public, but clearly, the demand is just not there.

While I agree that "times are changing" and some men are assuming a greater responsiblity for caring for their children, I do think there is an inherent difference in the way boys and girls like to play (generally speaking). I honestly didn't believe this was the case until having children of my own.

For example, I have 17 month old twin boys and my best friend has a girl who is 16 months. Our toddlers play together all the time and they are always exposed to each other's toys (ie: traditional "girl" and "boy" toys). My friend's daughter is very eager to sit and feed her baby doll; my boys, on the other hand, can't wait to get their hands on the baby just so they can throw it across the room.

If one of my boys ever expressed interest in a doll, then no problem...we'd get him a doll. I think this issue has less to do with societal stigma and more to do with demand for the product.

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

They already do. They are called action figures.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)