Can I duplicate my own writing published elsewhere?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ShreejanaHickman profile image60
    ShreejanaHickmanposted 14 years ago

Hi,

I'm a brand new hubber.  For my first hub, I picked an article, I wrote on my blog.  I don't have any affiliate links or link to my blog.  I'm not trying to promote my blog, I just thought that article might be an intresting read.  I published about an hour ago, now it says it's a duplicate.
    How does this work?  Are you allowed to put your own work, that has been published elsewhere?
    Thanks. Please advise:)

Shreejana Hickman

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to re-write my Hub's based on other content - perhaps using the hub as an introduction to the other content and providing a link, or the other way around.

I also then add other links to similar hubs etc so that this hub becomes totally unique and adds value to my other site.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

If it is actually your own work, then yes technically you are allowed.

But be aware that google will almost completely disregard your hubpage in the search results, and it could even affect the performance of your blog. Your hubscore will also be limited.

In my opinion, duplicating content is not worth it financially.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on, Ryan.  HubPages encourages original content and penalises content that you have already published elsewhere.  So it will never earn as well as an original Hub. 

I do have some duplicate Hubs which I wrote in the early days, before I understood it wasn't a good idea.  They do get some readership, but they are always trailing at the bottom of my Hub listing. 

If your blog is doing well, then delete the Hub (or revise it drastically).  If your blog isn't doing well, then you may want to consider deleting the article from your blog and keeping the Hub instead, because HP's high profile means you'll get more readership.  It will take a while for the duplicate flag to disappear because it's only reviewed occasionally, but it will go.

Good Hub, by the way - excellent start!

3. ShreejanaHickman profile image60

Thanks Marisa, and Ryan. I really appreciate your inputs.  I understand it better now.  I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and delete this particular hub.  Thanks again:)

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Shreejana, hubpages can be a great place to build up an income. So creating and building up fresh content will have its rewards.

5. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

shreejana,

your just as likely to see your hub at position 1 and your old blog post at position 2.

google disregards/lowers serps on duplicate content from within the same site/ domain (for example an archive page)

In a highly competitive keyword this dilution could cost you first page rankings in most cases its meaningless

But as a general theory "unique content" is your goal even if it means a quick rewrite of your old posts, its easy enough

the effects of dupe content are greatly exaggerated here at hubs
    just check the "they stole my hub" threads to see the real ranking dupe content can get

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to think that you know a lot sunforged, yet fail to understand the hubpages tagging system?

1. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i understand the system, in my post i was recommending you focus on extra-hub promotion techniques rather than worrying about the small returns of intra hub tag manipulation.

i said nothing that would show a lack of knowledge about tags ryan, i merely devalued their use in the bigger scheme of things.

the time you took to post that question, read johns hub and manipulate your 70+ hubs could have better served.

some better time usage:

hub creation w/ anchor links to any current hubs that are suffering trafficwise

creating supplementary blogs or minisites with links leading into your hubs

An automated twitter system that tweets your article and blog links, all day every day

As for "thinking" i know a lot ..the more you learn, the more you learn you dont know. But I dont take hubforums advice as law... for anything google related, try matt cutts blog, or jensense (i think ive mentioned these, you said you would read on a  rainy day, your in england im sure its rained by now yet your still parroting the dupe content myth!)

for general seo

forums with a more advanced userbase, sitepoint, warriorforum, digitalpoint (for some insight into the real rule breakers try blackhatworld dot com)or jim boykin of webuildpages blog

or just google "duplicate content myth" or even experiment with using duplicate content and see the real results

for anyone other than ryan

I am not suggesting that duplicate content is a plus, only that its negative effect on serps is greatly exaggerated

oh yeah and there is tons of terrible advice on those other forums too, its the internet, everyone has a voice,you find good stuff sometimes

1. profile image0

Sunforged, in that thread about tags.... which I started..... I was asking for one reason and one reason only.

And that was because I did not know how the hubpages tagging system worked. I am not claiming to know more than you, I was appealing to the better nature of hubbers for assistance. I am new to this game, and learning every day, increasing my earnings everyday, and opening up new doors.

Before I started that thread, I had up to 50 tags per hub. I thought that putting as many tags as possible would help my search engine performance. See, I am the one that knows NOTHING about tags.

I was finding my tags on the google keyword tool, and putting as many tags as possible into the field before getting the 'warning too many tags thing'.

About 90% of my tags, when clicked on, would lead to no other hubs whatsoever. These tags were about as specific as you could get to searches, about as far away as generic as you could get.

For example, I was using 'list of famous serial killers' as a tag. Now I am using 'serial killer', 'murder', 'murders', 'crime', 'killings'

The hub posted by Marissa was the first ever tutorial that I have recieved on tagging, and I understood tagging for the first time. And, specifically how tagging worked on hubpages.I realise that most people understand tagging more than I did at that stage.

I hope now that you realise why it has improved MY traffic, has improved MY ctr, and has improved MY hubscores. Because I have looked at your tagging and it is fine. I was not telling you to change your ways, I was telling anybody who didnt fully understand tagging (and I have seen dozens of people already in the passed two days that clearly dont) to read the article for help.

It means that my article is going to be showing in 'related hubs' on other peoples hubs, helping to drive organic traffic to my page via other articles. It means that people can click on a tag from another hub and see my article on a list. It also means more valuable and relevant backlinking, possible SEO benefits, and a more enjoyable experience for ME.

So contrary to claiming that tags were driving search engine traffic to my hubs, I actually THOUGHT that my OLD tags were doing so, whilst they were in fact hindering me significantly. I was very grateful for Marissa for showing me this link, and Nelle for her 2 pence. That not only has nothing to do with you, I was genuinely grateful.

I made it clear on that thread that I did not know what I was doing with tags. I hope that you can see how this is very relevant to me, and has improved my performance, but is very unlikely to be beneficial to you. I never claimed that you could improve your own performance.

It may say that I have been here for 13 months, but I wrote my first hub 10 weeks ago, and had my private adsense account approved for the first time 9 weeks ago.

Hope that clears this up.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sunforged, you couldn't point me in the right direction as to how you would go about creating this, any decent hubs/articles about  how to do it, etc. ?

I could sleep at any moment, but will check back tomorrow, any advice greatly appreciated. smile

1. sunforged profile image72
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a hub in draft form maybe ill spur it along.

short answer:

Use automated follower programs (many are free, paid ones are cheap)ie tweepme used to be free, many of us at hubs jumped in last year because of a few forum posts about it

set up a scheduled tweet system combine natural stuff - littl e quotes, RT's of other twitter and your own article links using free services like twaitter, or tweetlater ..or get a paid platform like hummingbird

sit back and watch your followers and clicks add up!

when you get a decent following (3k plus), you can even get paid per tweets through certain programs

thats is prob confusing,lol

Ill publish the hub within 24 hours,, i was sitting on the info for a twitter related domain i bought, but dioesnt look like ill have time to dev that anytime soon

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
              Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot for that, I've just been reading through your other posts on a twitter thread from a few weeks back, very interesting.  And I've just downloaded a demo of something called 'Tweetadder' which I'll have a little play with when I wake.

I'll read back through this again tomorrow when I'm more alert, and do some more research, I'll also keep my eyes open for your hub on this.

Many thanks for your response. smile

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Duplicate content is a very short-term strategy. Never put the same content in two places on the web. Whether it's yours or not. How do I know? Been there done that. It wasn't pretty. May 7 or 8 years ago, for six wonderful months I owned the first 5 google positions for great keywords. Then google caught on and those sites were burned forever. Lost 100% of my revenue stream from those sites (and ALL the sites linked to and from them).

These days I don't think those rankings would be possible with dupe content.

7. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

no worries ryan, and i am happy that you have seen increased earnings and traffic

I just like to remind people its a world wide web-

Its conjecture but any hub article gets inlinks for "latest' "category" "related hubs" "from your profile" sometimes "hot' and "best" "groups', im sure there are more... there is a lot of natural seo going on through the hubpages platform. I have trouble seeing the overall benefit to www traffic, not hubpages traffic a few tag tweaks can do..but know that there are dozens of great promotion techniques outside the platform

any of my forum posts especially when i disagree are never targetted at the poster, i just try and keep in mind that the topic can be seen by many and sometimes a little devils advocate or detailed examination can be valuable for all

1. profile image0

Cool, I just didnt want you to get the impression that I was trying to beat you at anything or think that I know better - I am a self confessed newbie on a steep learning curve. Learning tags for me was a lot more than 'a few tweaks', it was my complete misunderstanding of the system. That is very basic knowledge that experienced people will naturally take for granted.

Anyway, take it easy mate wink

8. ShreejanaHickman profile image60

wow, Thanks guys, especially Sunforged and Ryan.  That is a wealth of information.  I got started with one question, now I'm learning about tags too.  I enjoyed reading the back and forth between you two.  Seems like I'll be coming to the forum a lot.  Thanks:)

9. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Welcome to hubpage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)