What would you write in a letter to yourself "How to alleviate my own depression

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

What would you write in a letter to yourself "How to alleviate my own depression?"

If you had to write a letter from your normal self to yourself in a state of depression, what would be in that letter?  I was my assignment three years ago, and I still have not written this letter. It seems as hard to write it when I am busy enjoying non-depressed state as it is following some "optimistic" suggestions when I am depressed.  And this cycle does not seem to end.  What would you write?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7277049_f260.jpg

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years ago

I would write it like this:

Dear Depressed Me,
    If you have not heard from me for a while, or you are wondering how I am, and how I am managing, I'll explain why.
    When I am OK and everything's whirling well, and I am coping, and I'm happy, I find that I am too busy to write to you. Please don't think I don't care, because I do, but being) happy and busy takes up a lot of my time.
    If you do get the occasional letterI I from me, it's because I have found a little window of opportunity, to check that you are managing  and that you will be coming  over to join me soon.
    Lots of love and reassuring hugs.
    Happy, sorted Me
    x .

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ian, you are funny as usual!

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Svetlana, my dear friend, that was me BEING serious.
      x

3. kallini2010 profile image80

Ok, Ian, serious and funny are not mutually exclusive.  You made me smile - I have read that it is easier to handle depression because it is more predictable.  Handling bipolar is handling unpredictability and chaos.  "Handling chaos...."

4. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Svetlana, you are, at once, precious and delicious. Dear friend, never change. What experience I have of bi-pola is a brief lilac shadow of a sunny day - you defeat the beast elegantly and reign supreme.
      Love you,
      Ian.

3. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I would write a series of questions and thoughts to myself:
    -How do I feel today in regard to yesterday ?
    -How will I know that I have hit rock bottom ?
    -When I do hit rock bottom, the only way is up, right ?
    -When I become aware of a little tiny thing in my life that feels positive, I'll know I'm on the right path. When these little tiny things start to multiply, I'll know I'm getting there. In the meantime, I am going to make up a story and write it, a completely imaginary story that will make me feel good and take my mind away from the grim reality of life. I want to get out of this crappy feeling. so the sooner the better...
    Something like that !

Thank you, Austinhealy!  My first line (in my head as usual went like this today - "My ex husband is dead. Or disappeared. My closest circle of support disappeared.  There is no one to depend upon any more.  I am alone.) Not too much of a letter....

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image60
      Jesse Mugnierposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are not alone... Never alone!

4. haikutwinkle profile image61
    haikutwinkleposted 11 years ago

This is a nice music video about a letter written to a 15-year-old self.
    The artist was born to a Japanese father and Italian-American mother.
    It was during those times when Japan still views foreigners as outsiders.
    This song was written for many teenagers in Japan who suffered from bullying, depression etc.

Link: http://youtu.be/NpDqLsWC6HU
    Quote from song:
    "Dear you,
    Who's reading this letter
    I wish you happiness! "

5. Gary Holdaway profile image86
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

I would tell myself the absolute truth about myself, because that is something that us with depression never actually do. When you write down how you feel and why, you'll often feel quite silly about it and perk yourself up somehow. I'd remind myself that asleep in bed is my little cutey and there are people much worse off than me that could do with somebody like me with a good heart trying to help all he could.

1. downhome profile image57
      downhomeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there. As I sit here reading your posts, I never considered the thought of actually, writing a letter to myself whenever I find myself being depressed. I guess, I'll have to give that thought a try some day.

6. c-m-hall profile image60
    c-m-hallposted 11 years ago

Dear Depressed Self,
    I'm grateful that you're having these experiences for me. Thank you for taking all the pain, suffering, exhaustion, morbidity, anger, grief, bitterness, self-loathing, hateful, grouchy, over-eating, relief-seeking, sleeping all day, numb to the world, no inspiration, lousy at everything, victimized and hurt ... attitude for me today.
    I cannnot do this alone and I'm so happy that I have you to do it for me while I rest. In the meantime, I'm going to write about how awesome I am!
    I am great! I am amazing! I am wonderful! I am the best! I love me! I am so lucky! I am gorgeous! I am loved! I am abundant! I am blessed! I am powerful!
    Then, I'm going to get up, clean up, and make myself look as awesome as I can under the circumstances. When I look as great as I'm going to look ... then I'm going to go out and take a walk, anywhere! Up the street, around the block.
    You don't have to come with me. You stay right where you are. While I'm out, I hope you get a lot of rest. After I finish with my walk, I'm going to treat myself to something wonderful. I will prepare food for myself, or have it deliverd to me as if I am as deserving as a queen! I will act as if it is my first day on the planet and pretend that nothing bad has ever happend.
    Before I sleep, I will write down everything that I am grateful for. If I have eyes to see ... How grateful am I to be able to see! There are blind people who've never had the choice. If I have all my limbs and digits. I am grateful for their use. Not everyone has all their body parts. Am I safe from the weather and the elements outside? Am I warm? Am I full? Some people aren't.
    Do I need to give myself a great big hug and take a break from being mean to myself? I promise to throw down the whips and chains and break out the feathers and dust myself off!
    Tomorrow, I'm going to call that friend that keeps asking how I'm doing. I know there's support groups out there, so maybe we can go together. I'll take you with me only if you promise to look up at the sky and notice how big everyting is outside of you.
    I'm giving you a big, big hug because, I truly love you. Even if you are bent on suffering. The good news is: This too shall pass. I'm glad you're just going through something (which will change very soon) because all things are temporary.

Thank you, it is a very good answer. I probably should start every day with this page with the letters that I could not write, but my readers could.  At least it is a beginning...

2. haikutwinkle profile image61
      haikutwinkleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. (proverb)

7. Jesse Mugnier profile image60
    Jesse Mugnierposted 11 years ago

I have not written a letter to myself, I have written a list of all the things I am thankful for in my life. Everytime I sit down to re-read them, I have more things to add. Reading everything I feel blessed to have in my life (my children, my home, etc) makes me feel less depressed.
    I also remind myself that I am strong, I have a big heart, I try my best to help other people and be kind towards others, and I am a good mother to my children.
    Svetlana, just by reading your hubs I can tell you are a strong, independant woman. You are a talented writer who has inspired me. You have a son who, I can tell is the apple of your eye.
    You will be able to write your letter one day, you just need to remember how wonderful you are.
    Goodluck smile

Thank you, Jesse. The problem is - I still cannot believe in myself- it is internal flaw - and right at this moment - it feels like the beginning of the end. I know it shall pass, but handling the moment is always a challenge, the UNSURMOUNTABLE NOW.

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image60

Have you talked to you doctor about trying antidepressants? It may just be the thing you need.

3. kallini2010 profile image80

Yes, I have seen the doctors, been on anti-depressants since 2005.  Still there is no solution, or maybe not yet. I am sorry I sound like this now, but that is the very definition of depression.

4. Jesse Mugnier profile image60

Please don't apologize! You will find something that works for you, maybe a different medication or higher dosage.
      I'll pray for you.

8. agatzby profile image58
    agatzbyposted 11 years ago

Dear sad Gatzby,
       You might be thinking, in this hodgepodge of randomness we call a universe, what possible purpose could I have in it all? Why should I even try if I'm just going to die anyways and it's all for naught? Or possibly you are experiencing another loss and you're asking yourself why them, why now, what next? The same thoughts that try to bring you down every time they emerge. I can only tell you the same thing I tell you every other time, you aren't dead yet. You might want to give up and cash in, but it's not time yet. If you're reading this now, there's a reason you're alive. And as infuriating as it is to not know why you are around, you are. So get up, take a deep breath, and find anything you love and love it that much more because you might never get to again.

It's a great letter, very poetic. Sorry, I cannot appreciate it fully being brain-damaged, but it brightened my day. Thank you, sad Gatzby...  there is a reason for you to be here!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)