Is anyone regretting buying Windows 8?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. atechwiz profile image66
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

Is anyone regretting buying Windows 8?

2. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

No I haven't gotten into the new Windows 8 yet, and I possibly never will. What I don't understand is will it ever stop. There's Windows 1.0, Windows 2.0, Windows 3.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and what's going to be next from Microsoft to keep the consumer spending their hard earned money fro out of their wallet? Keep on hubbing  smile

atechwizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can relate.  Apple is the same way though.  This is kind of the way with technology.  I think it is easy to take the improvements for granted.  Just try to plug something into a Windows 98 machine. 50/50 chance it will work.

3. howlermunkey profile image73
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

I've tested it (and written about it ), there is a HUGE learning curve. No more start button, the "Metro" is the "start menu". I understand what they are doing, they want the tablets\phone\pc's to match up as best they can. And, actually, I have fun with Windows 8, ....at home........... But I did have to read up on Hotkeys, and create my own "shut down" desktop icon (in my hub)... you don't "have" to create your own shutdown button, there are three different ways to shut it off, (that aren't so apparent as the original "shut down" from the (now missing) start menu,  but I thought it was fun.

Fun is a good word for Windows 8. If, you like to "tinker" and read up on how to work something, you'll like it. If you don't like change, and you especially liked the "start" menu, your in for a surprise. In the business world, it may survive, perhaps, but support calls to IT staff will surely increase ten fold as people try to figure out how to work it lol.

No "regrets", as I have only downloaded the beta to a test machine.

I have been using Windows 8 for a while now and I agree that there will be a learning curve.  I think that once you get past the learning curve though things make sense.  We are just so used to the Start button.

4. Richard Craig profile image59
    Richard Craigposted 11 years ago

I'm not interested in it.  In terms of Windows 8 for tablets and phones, I think Microsoft have been left in the past for too long and will be playing catch-up for a few years yet.  As for the home PC I wouldn't buy it because I would only use the classic desktop rather than the new funky one.  It will work well for touch devices but for a mouse it not as intuitive.

I'll stick with my Windows Vista and if I want a tablet, I'll get Android tablet thanks.

I have recently picked up a Microsoft Surface and I have to say I am impressed.  I also have an iPad and have used Android tablets at work.  I think when it comes to things like productivity Surface and other Windows 8 tablets have a good shot.

5. dwachira profile image78
    dwachiraposted 11 years ago

I may not use Win 8 as my primary OS but i may just test it for familiarization. Ever since Microsoft started forcing the Windows OS down the users throats, i noticed much exodus from Windows OS to other Operating systems especially to open sources like Linux. It become as a shock to many Microsoft users when Microsoft announced that the new Microsoft Office 2013 will only work in Win 7 or 8 and not older versions of Windows: http://hubpages.com/hub/A-letter-to-my-friend-Microsoft One get to ask, why does Microsoft force its products to users?

I definitely understand the frustration users feel about constantly having to upgrade software and hardware.  In Microsoft's defense though, is this really any different than any of the other major players in the technology field?

6. AlphaTechWV profile image60
    AlphaTechWVposted 11 years ago

It's hard to regret a $15 purchase but I've had my share of problems out of Windows 8. I own a technology business in my home town and had to familiarize myself with Windows 8 so I can answer questions when others have problems. The first problem I had was my WiFi adapter in my desktop does not have Windows 8 drivers and the Windows 7 drivers crash the system. Funny thing is, my older adapter does work so I went back to it to wait on drivers. The second problem I ran into was my search function kept crashing. That took a registry edit to fix and is apparently becoming a common problem. One thing I do recommend is getting a software to put the start menu back until you really know your way around. I'm currently using Classic Shell and this will be the one I recommend to people who can't acclimate to the new Metro system. On the other hand, I am really enjoying the new start menu with the tiles and apps. I feel like Microsoft is a bit late to the game but they are making an honest effort and I feel that this time around is much better than their last attempt at innovation- Windows Vista.

It definitely does take a bit of getting used to.  I think the problem Microsoft could have is people getting frustrated and going back to 7 and thereby becoming Windows Vista all over again where people would simply order XP machines.

2. AlphaTechWV profile image60
      AlphaTechWVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Completely possible but Microsoft will offset that with Windows 8 only software and they have already announced that there will be no more service packs for Windows 7.

7. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image78
    Naveed Ahmed 624posted 9 years ago

Yes, although I didn't buy it for a real price. It was a free of cost license for university students, but I am extremely dissatisfied with Windows 8.1 and its previous version Windows 8. I have a Dell Inspiron N4050 and except these two operating systems just mentioned, all other operating systems work fine. Just these two won't start-up, the system hangs just before the lockup screen is to appear. I have re-installed three times from different setup files, but the problem persists.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)