How long should you know somebody before you marry them?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image60
    alexandriaruthkposted 11 years ago

How long should you know somebody before you marry them?

or does amount of time matter at all?

2. multiculturalsoul profile image71
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

I can only speak from experience. My father asked my mother to marry him after knowing her for only 30 days. She said no. Three months later, he asked again, she said yes, and they've been married now for 52 years. I "courted" my wife for four years before we married, and we'll celebrate our 19th anniversary in January. I know of couples (now divorced) who dated since junior high, and I also know have a friend who eloped with a girl he knew for three dates--and they have seven children and four grandchildren. There doesn't seem to be a formula for the "correct" amount of time. Though I didn't like waiting four years, I'm glad we did. I'm also glad my mother said yes the second time ...

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Luck does play a part, but careful consideration, planning and patience is the key. By the way, congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary.

3. jaydawg808 profile image81
    jaydawg808posted 11 years ago

Personally, to really get to know someone, I'd say around a year and a half.  This, I think is the minimum.  Anything less, in my opinion, is not knowing the full picture of who they are.

1. profile image0

Right on, Jaydawg!!!

4. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Yes...time does matter. Any good marriage counselor will tell you that one must date a minimum of 300 hours before tying the knot - and that does not take into account "marathon dates".

All in all, if going out on a date twice per week for 3 hours per date...it should take about 1.5 - 2 years to really get to know the other person. They say this is crucial, because those who are not on the "up and up" will likely "let their hair down" around this time...revealing who they really are and what they really are about.

Anyone can maintain a false front for a spell...but not in the long run. Unfortunately, our society is almost entirely populated by prolific, serial fornicatiors, who hop into bed almost right away. Once this happens, all objectivity goes right out the door.

5. grillrepair profile image54
    grillrepairposted 11 years ago

Longer Than We Can Pretend!
    On a date we are so well behaved, we smell good, we dress nice, we eat properly and we think about what comes out of our mouths.  I think we should find a way to get to know someone beyond their ability and our ability to keep up the good behavior.  Although negotiating a life together can easily confront these things we have to know what "things" to confront to make our agreements for living together.
    my wife and i are only just getting to know one another after 10 years because we "fell in love" fast, got married fast, had children fast and were raising kids, working, etc.  All of a sudden one day we're practically strangers because we did not know much beyond the blinders of love so long ago.

1. profile image0

Good point. A hot start often leads to a cold ending.

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

It's not so much as how (long) you know someone as it is how (well) you know someone before you marry them.
    The goal is to find someone that shares your same values and wants the same thing for a marriage as you do. Ideally you should be "in love" with each other as well. Very often it takes quite awhile before people reveal their "authentic selves". You need to know how a person handles the ups and downs of life. Beoming engaged during the "infatuation phase" of a relationship is seldom the right move. It takes more time to really get to (know) someone then most people are willing to invest these days.

1. profile image0

I agree with you to a point. Time is a necessary ingredient because it is a reliable agent of change. It will allow you to see the other individual over time...and be able to measure any changes in behavior. This, then,  allows us to know them well.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CJ, We're on the same page. As I stated it takes (awhile) before people reveal their "authentic selves". Every relationship (starts off) perfect. :-)

3. profile image0

:0)

7. Tnagaria profile image61
    Tnagariaposted 11 years ago

Hello alexandria smile
    I honeslty think that no body can give you the answer to your question because there really is no fixed amount of time. I am not discounting getting to know the other person but sometimes it might take years together and sometimes you just instantly, intutively just know that this is the person. And its ok both ways.
    The reason you've asked such a question is because your unsure, and you think your taking too much (correct me if I am wrong, I may be wrong), maybe your not sure of the guy, or ur unsure of your own self, if the idea of marriage and if you are ready to get into a commitment of that sort, don't trick yourself into believing what others are trying to make you believe, don't burry your gut feeling and intution deep within you, allow it to speak for you, you will intutively know who the right person is in time to come and it will be so natural that there will be no scope for such questions. Its like they say when you know its right, its right and even if the world says it not, you know that your choice is the best choice for you smile
    Cheers.

1. profile image0

No amount of time will help if one is not paying attention. And, the more complicated someone is...the more time it will take to truly know them.

8. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Time is NOT the factor.

I married within a week after knowing my wife.

My friend got married after 7 years with his wife.

When the right one comes, it will happen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)