At what age should yearly retesting for a drivers license begin? Or should it?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

At what age should yearly retesting for a drivers license begin? Or should it?

While I was shopping in Target last week an elderly man drove through the front of the store. The same thing had happen in the next town over the day before. So is frequent retesting the only option? If so at what age do you think it should start, or should we leave them alone?

2. R W Bobholz profile image60
    R W Bobholzposted 11 years ago

I've always wanted regular retesting every 3-5 years regardless of age, but that's just me. As the law stands right now, you can only lose your license if you commit some sort of violation, not before you commit that violation and there's no standards in place to check to make sure people are still competent to drive. Most people forget what they've learned over a course of time. The decay over 3 years is incredible, so that's why I support 3-5 year retesting.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I think frequent retesting would be a good idea after a certain age - what age I am not sure. My last license was renewed in 2011 and expires in 2019.  A lot can happen in that time to reduce one's faculties.

I think an actual driving test would be prudent after the age of 65 or in special medical situations.  But then do we get into discrimination?  I don't know for sure.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hey peeples, I'm not being judgmental, but I agree there should be another test given when one reaches 65. The reason being is older drivers can be medicated, drowsy, can't pay attention like they used to. I just think it would be beneficial for all if another test was given. An impaired driver is an impaired driver no matter what the case. It is a danger for society as well as for the driver.

5. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Excellent question......I do have a definite opinion on this.   To be fair and sensible, I feel, based upon observation and statistics......a retest should be mandatory at 65....and every year thereafter.  In addition to this, if issues arise with an individual's vision, hearing and or agility and reflexes.....their Dr. and family, if necessary  should become alerted and cautious and take sensible action to request that the person be tested for ability to drive a motor vehicle...SAFELY and appropriately.
    I'm sure we ALL encounter these dear OLD men and women, behind the wheel....where they are put-putting along the road....their head barely above the steering wheel.....not stopping soon enough...or too soon......slamming on the brakes.....forgetting to signal.....enjoying the view and not looking at the road.....Arghhhhhhhhhh!!.   I feel like I should say a prayer for them...and everyone else on the road! 
    I had a frightening experience with an elderly man (in his 80's), who ...as it turned out...actually had a mini-stroke behind the wheel......and his foot laid on the accelerator......on a major highway.....he barely missed 3 cars.....and was only saved because he drove off the road and into a slight ditch that stopped the car.   He was dazed and confused and had no idea what had just happened....NO! we should not, just "leave them alone."

6. ShootersCenter profile image69
    ShootersCenterposted 11 years ago

Young drivers in the 16-20 yr old range have the worst driving records, are we going to single out the elderly some whom have never had an accident. If you're going to retest one driver they all should be retested.

1. R W Bobholz profile image60
      R W Bobholzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! That's why I like periodic testing accross the board. We notice the elderly because they reinforce a stereotype, but teens are worse than elderly, men are statistically worse than women (sorry guys, statistics don't lie), and everyone forgets

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to the DMV here in USA teens and elderly are almost tied for fatal accidents.Which doesn't even take into account young drivers drive more than elderly Sounds like maybe all drivers under 21 and over 70ish need to be retested yearly to me.

7. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 11 years ago

Commenters keep mentioning vision problems in older people. My state "requires" an eye test upon issuance of the first drivers license, and each renewal thereafter, regardless of age. Therefore, I, as well as my son and my grandchildren take a state-issued eye test every four years.  I think this is a good thing because there is no age discrimination. Many young people are just as medicated for things like ADHD or other childhood ailments, or they are on illegal drugs or drink and drive. Why not test everybody? The answer to that is that it would cost too much money. Everything boils down to what it costs. I do think that everyone reaches a point that he or she should stop driving, and I plan to do that before my kids take my keys. I don't know what percentage of these drivers a test would detect, though.

8. dmvjane profile image59
    dmvjaneposted 11 years ago

I think retesting should be done across ages. However, there should be emphasis on old-age individuals since they are the ones who are prone to vision problems. Although the worst records are from young drivers, I think, it is a different issue that the government should address.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)