About Getting Rid Of Germs In Raw Vegetables

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

About Getting Rid Of Germs In Raw Vegetables

Do raw vegetables contain amoeba and other harmful micro-organisms? If they do, how long should they be steamed in order to be rid of these germs? I believe steaming would be safer than boiling as steam does not destroy nutrients.

2. A Little TRUTH profile image78
    A Little TRUTHposted 11 years ago

Five minutes should do it.  Yes, steaming is better than boiling, which leaches the nutrients into the water.  But the heat still destroys much of the nutrients as well as the living enzymes that are beneficial for digestion and health.  You could steam the whole vegetable, before cutting, so that only the surface, where the germs are, gets the heat.  But they will still end up partially cooked.

A non-heat alternative is to mix up a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of drinkable water.  Spray or dip the vegetables, let them sit for five minutes (don't let them dry) and rinse thoroughly.  This will also help remove any pesticides and residue from air pollution or chemtrails.

quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip on how to remove chemicals from veggies with lemon and vinegar. Did you mean steaming for five minutes under pressure? We steam the veggies for fifteen minutes, but not in a pressure cooker.

2. A Little TRUTH profile image78
      A Little TRUTHposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The idea is the mixture washes away germs too.  Any germs left are no problem for a healthy immune system.  But if you want to steam, no pressure is needed.  Same standard for sterilizing baby bottles and canning jars - 5 minutes or more at 212 F.

3. quicksand profile image81

Hello again, LittleTruth, would not ordinary vinegar be suitable for this purpose?

4. A Little TRUTH profile image78

Yes, I think the most important thing is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, washing them with whatever is available.  Sometimes I just use water and rubbing, or even just my shirt.  A healthy immune system can handle a few bugs.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

I'd be more concerned about the herbicides and pesticides on my fruit and veg. Generally I do not wash any of it and am happy to eat it raw. I'm sure any micro organisms will give my immune system an opportunity for a good work out, meaning that I'm less likely to get sick or suffer an allergy.

1. A Little TRUTH profile image78

I agree.  Germs are killed off by the immune system and get expelled from the body.  Herbicides and pesticides are toxins that lodge in the body and stay there and cause disease.  The only way to get them out is through special cleanses.

2. quicksand profile image81

Well, out of the microorganisms that are present, precautions should be taken against  the "amoeba."  This one causes an ailment called amoebiosis which screws up the digestive system. Thanks for responding. smile

4. profile image50
    parkavithaiposted 11 years ago

Turmeric and Salt are having the anti-germs properties that would destroy various kinds of germs. So, when you add these ingredients to the vegetables you no need to worry about germs.  Or just wash the vegetables in water that contains turmeric and salt, definitely you would be safer from germs.

Hi Parkavithai, thanks for your response. I hope turmeric destroys amoeba as well!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)