Do you think video games are a waste of time?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Adamowen profile image69
    Adamowenposted 11 years ago

Do you think video games are a waste of time?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I think they have their place on a limited basis. I am against kids, or adults playing them endlessly instead of interacting with the 3 dimensional world.  But kids can learn a lot of things like the correlation of practice and improvement of playing.

I used to use Mario or Donkey Kong as an example. They might get frustrated with whatever project they were trying to do...and I would say, "remember how hard it was when you started playing Donkey Kong but you kept trying and eventually you got better and it became easy.  Everything works like that, practice does make perfect.

Both my girls remembered that when they were trying other frustrating projects.  So yes, video games have their place...but then again if overdone, they can be a waste of time.

3. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

I play a fair few video games and really enjoy them, but I tend to do that instead of watching TV.

Are they a 'waste' of time? That depends - what else would I be doing with it? I tend to spend most of my working time being 'productive' (creating content, writing, adding value), so to me video games are simply a way to unwind.

4. sm825 profile image59
    sm825posted 11 years ago

In my opinion no they are not some make a full time income playing video games. But for those who do not make a job out of video games, then I would just consider it a hobby. If you enjoy your hobby whatever it might be then I would not consider it time wasted. However if you hate your hobby and keep doing it then yes I would say you are wasting your time.

There are people who get addicted to games to the point where they spend 12 hours or more a day playing games, but people can get addicted to many different things to make it bad for you. In some cases video games can be good for people such as Boogie from Youtube where video games helped him through a time in his life where he was depressed.

So in my opinion video games are not a waste of time, but can become unhealthy for you if you become addicted to games.

1. profile image0
      Single Shotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you sm825. I live with someone who does spend all day until they decide to go to bed which is usually 3 or 4 in the morning playing a game of Facebook...on multiple accounts with multiple windows open.

5. Hezekiah profile image83
    Hezekiahposted 11 years ago

If playing games is getting in the way of you doing other productive things, then yes. However I do believe that most people "including myself" put time aside and enjoy playing games. In that case I don't think it's a waste of time at all.

6. profile image0
    Single Shotposted 11 years ago

No, not really. It's only a waste of time if the person playing video games ...gets up first thing in the morning and stays on the gaming console or computer until about 3 am and doesn't do anything else but play..and gets upset if you ask them to do the simplest thing like clean up their dishes or start laundry. I know from experience...live with someone who does this all the time. It sucks.

7. edmek55555 profile image76
    edmek55555posted 11 years ago

I dont think they are a waste of time. Quite the contrary, i think they are a fairly good use of your time. They stimulate your mind, they take you to places and let you do things you could never do in real life. Obviously too much of anything can be bad but i think video games are amazing and let me feel like a part of something i never dreamed i could be a part of

1. profile image0

I'll say right now it's a 50/50. Give you a 7 on the comment though. smile

8. howtobeasuccess profile image67
    howtobeasuccessposted 11 years ago

For me No since i it only takes a fraction of my time and is not getting in my way of being production for the day. Playing a video game is fun and i consider it as one way of relaxing my mind for new thoughts.

1. profile image0

I don't sit there like someone who I know does  and play all day every day. Sure I like video games..but I do not let it get in the way of my school or life. They..literally get upset if I ask them to do something..because they have to stop playing.

9. KellyG05030 profile image70
    KellyG05030posted 11 years ago

Personally, I don't play them....mostly because I stink at them! My husband, however, has a stressful job and I do enjoy watching him play and unwind. He only plays after the kids are in bed and he knows he isn't missing any family time. Sometimes it's nice to "turn the brain off" for a little while!

10. ragomary profile image61
    ragomaryposted 11 years ago

i'm afraid so... Spent years playing MMO - World of Warcraft, 6 wasted years lol. Now i only play flash games like really short games, and pranks like scary maze - http://www.scarylol.com/the-scary-maze-game/ excellent stuff to kill time and prank on your friends lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)