What is the most important choice you have ever made and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

What is the most important choice you have ever made and why?

From cradle to grave we are faced with a myriad of decisions and choices.  Sometimes we look back and wonder what would have happened if we had chosen differently, other times we celebrate the choices we make.  Our health and wellbeing can be impacted positively and negatively by the choices we make or have made.

2. kidnappedkids profile image85
    kidnappedkidsposted 11 years ago

The most important decision I ever made was to have children. Having children meant less time and money to do the things I like to do - solo. But after having them, I couldn't imagine life without them.

3. MarieAlana1 profile image68
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

The most important choice that  I have ever made is the choice of person who I want to be with and who to Marry. I love the man I married so much. It was the best choice of my life.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

There have been a lot of them over the years.  Probably the most important and life changing decision was our decision to have children.  When we married (I was 19 and he was 21) neither of us ever wanted to have kids.  That changed for me at age 26 or so.  Making that decision to change your life in such an intense and all consuming way is really overwhelming especially when you thought you already knew what you wanted.

It was a good decision though and our chilidren and grandchildren reaffirm that every day.

5. kndashy41 profile image75
    kndashy41posted 11 years ago

There are so many important choices I have made in my life.  I don't know where to start.  I think that a crucial one is going back to school to get my degree.  I put it off for so long chasing after other, non-important things, that served as distractions.  There's no telling where I would be in life now if I had been disciplined enough, in my youth, to finish my schooling.  Well, the way I see it, it's never too late. I am a senior now and I should be graduating sometime next year!  Hallelujah!

6. novascotiamiss profile image71
    novascotiamissposted 11 years ago

Our most important choice in life was to immigrate from Switzerland to Canada.  We've left the rat race and our high powered jobs behind. Here we are living a very quiet life near to nature and generally we feel much happier and content.

7. kansasyarn profile image84
    kansasyarnposted 11 years ago

I think by far the most important choice I have made in my life was my decision to remain single and not date for a few years after my divorce.  I needed to learn who I was as a single person, to become whole.  Once I learned who I was I figured out what I was looking for in a life mate.  Experiencing my singleness was a great gift to myself, my children and my current husband.

1. profile image0
      Lizam1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I made a similar choice and only now - fifteen years later am I thinking I am ready to consider a new relationship.  Thanks for sharing your choice.

2. kansasyarn profile image84
      kansasyarnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome!  I am enjoying reading all of the wonderful responses!

3. Get Thin for Good profile image66
      Get Thin for Goodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too made a similar choice, and it's actually very rare. However, I have made the choice to remain single until - if ever - God sends the right one to me.

I salue you for your choice.

8. livewirez profile image71
    livewirezposted 11 years ago

When I decided to marry my wife. Although at that time I wasn't yet ready due to financial crisis but we were able to made it and now where living happily with our first child.

9. LopezUnleashed profile image72
    LopezUnleashedposted 11 years ago

The most important decision I ever made was to give my first son up for adoption.  I was twenty and was abandoned by the father, the family threatened to take my baby and raise is as though one of them gave birth to him and I knew that was not an okay thing to do.  I ended up homeless and lost the three jobs I had been working when morning sickness took it's toll and landed me in the hospital.  I left everything behind, lived in a maternity home with 13-17 year old girls and gave my gorgeous son to the family he was always meant to be with.  All children are a gift, regardless of the circumstances surrounding their conception.  God showed me that even though my son was a gift -- he wasn't a gift for me, I was merely the "messenger".

1. profile image0

Goodness, what a brave thing you did, an act of love for your son that must have cost you so much.

10. Ardot profile image81
    Ardotposted 11 years ago

The single most important decision I have ever made was to put my family before my career. This decision was made thanks to my then five year old daughter, who one day looked at me with the saddest look in her eyes and said, "Daddy, i liked it better when you were happy, now you're always mad at me." It was a period of my life where I had decided to take on a very time and energy consuming role at the company I was working at. I was gone six to seven days per week and my duties were always at the top of my head, even during my off time. I had become irritable and exhausted. My intentions in accepting such a role were to ultimately bring home more money and improve the lives of my family.
    It was not working. Instead it was having the opposite effect. It taught me that money isn't everything. A healthy balance must be maintained between life and work.
    What is the point of providing "the best" for your kids if doing so completely ruins the relationship you have with them?

1. profile image0

Sounds like you made a really wise choice for your family and for your own health.  Good for you for recognizing the need to balance and prioritize people before dollars and cents.

11. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Choosing my life partner was the most crucial decision, I think...and I am blessed I took the right decision.
    Besides there are many choices in life, which I have made, about which I was not sure at that time, were they right or wrong. But life is like that...One has to make some tough choices, even if one does not want to.
    I do not believe in looking back but taking the life forward with whatever best choices are available to us.

12. Get Thin for Good profile image66
    Get Thin for Goodposted 11 years ago

Making the decision to make Jesus Christ my Saviour. I would not be able to live without Him in my life. He comforts me, guides me, loves me like no one can ever love me, heals me - it goes on. Everything good in my life is because of Him.

If it were not for Jesus coming and doing a work in my heart and my life, well I don't want to think of how my life would be. I would be a mess.

Jesus gave me inner strength and character. Where there was nothing, He gave me everything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)