For any Ex-Smokers, How did you quit smoking?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Kentrallosposted 11 years ago

For any Ex-Smokers, How did you quit smoking?

how long where you psycho? how long until you felt like you didn't need a cigarette anymore?

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

I am not a smoker, but I can tell you how difficult it is to quit smoking. It needs tremendous will power and determination to do so. I am writing this because I have close persons, who tried several times to quit but again started. Although they sincerely want to quit smoking, they have not been able to do so far.
    The best option is, Do not get into this habit.

3. Sonali Singh profile image45
    Sonali Singhposted 11 years ago

Try using electronic cigarrates which have come in the market, in recent days.

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Just chucked everything to do with smoking into a rubbish bin, and never smoked again.  I never turned 'psycho, and I never suffered cravings.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Neglected to add, that was in 2001, and I've never smoked since.  I used to smoke half an ounce of rolling tobacco a day.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

My wife battled the quit-smoking war for many years.  She tried every angle there was, from patches to inhalers to cold turkey to you name it.  Nothing quite worked; "emptying out" completely was always enough to drive her homicidal within 48 hours at the most.

Finally, just this past December, she decided to try hypnotherapy.  Never had trusted the concept before but felt she was ready...and it helped.  A lot. 

Today, roughly 2 1/2 months after her 2 hypno sessions, she still smokes some, but the difference is night and day.  She no longer lights up in the house at all.  I take whatever she needs--right now an average of 3 ultralights per day, but she's poking pinholes in those, and she's out in the open air, so secondhand smoke is not a lot. 

One example of how much she's changed:  Yesterday, I had to run to town on errands and forgot to take her final cig of the day to the laundry shed where she lights up. She does NOT know where I keep her cigs in the house.  I was gone for several hours...and this time, for the first time ever, she did not lose it.  Just played one of her computer games till I got home, no sweat.

She still craves, she till smokes, but she's no longer using the patches (which she was) and expects to be completely off the stuff by year end...after what will by then have been a 43 year habit.

6. Rusti Mccollum profile image61
    Rusti Mccollumposted 11 years ago

I used the patch. i tried many times and I have to say , you have to WANT to quit bad enough or you won't. It's been ten years since I quit a almost 3 pack a day habit.
    Get veggies and low fat healthy foods to snack on. I used tootsie pops. get up and clean or do something when you want a smoke. drink water. exercise, something about when your exercising you don't want to smoke, Also like me, watch your dad die of emphysema and gasp for air until he couldn't gasp anymore. That should do it. At least it did for me. I sat on my hands. I didn't drink. Often people that drink like to smoke. I wish you strong will power and luck. YOU CAN DO THIS ONE MINUTE AT A TIME......never went physco, in about 2 weeks you will get a bad craving. IT PASSES! I remember one day thinking "I haven't thought of smoking in weeks even seeing people smoke" THAT was the best day! smile)

7. Jlbowden profile image84
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

I smoked when I was in H.S. years ago and even though I gave up that bad habit then. I can tell you that it was difficult to do even after having smoked for about 2 years.  The best way I had found out, at that time was to quit COLD TURKEY. 

There are a few other methods, but I believe that this one is the only true way.  Do yourself, your lungs, your heart as well as the rest of your organs a real big favor by quitting now!  You'll really be happy you did.  Don't let cigarettes control you.  Work on your level of willpower.  Good luck with giving the cancer sticks up

Jl

8. Savva Pelou profile image60
    Savva Pelouposted 11 years ago

I saw an ad for some e cig site called powercig.co.uk and I must say, its been 3 months and I have not touched a cigarette since.  I have seen massive improvements in both my health and my bank balance!

9. iviskei profile image69
    iviskeiposted 11 years ago

I don't have an addictive personality, so when I stopped I went cold turkey and wasn't psycho. But that's just me. I hear a lot of people have trouble quitting.

10. advisor4qb profile image75
    advisor4qbposted 11 years ago

I tried several times.  It took hypnosis AND the patch, but I have not had a cigarette in over six years.  I did have a second smoking cessation hypnosis done at six months after quitting.  I have not had any cravings since that time.  I did not have cravings initially, either.  No psycho reaction here.

She was really good, and I have no idea whatsoever what she said to me.  I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I did not want a cigarette.  Unfortunately, she retired.

11. Sheila Wilson profile image87
    Sheila Wilsonposted 11 years ago

Um, I'll try to answer this with a PG-rating. I smoked for years. The number of cigarettes I was smoking every day kept increasing. I went from less than a pack to over a pack and a half. Then, I'd have days I was smoking more than two packs. In order to motivate me to quit, my boyfriend withheld something I enjoy doing until I quit. I have a bit of an oral fixation, I guess you could say. I quit that day, cold turkey. I had bad cravings for about two weeks. The first week was the worst. There were certain times for months that I would really want a cigarette, but I recognized that having the craving felt awful but I could get through it. Eventually, it felt more like I wouldn't want a cigarette. Like now, I think I would hate it. I quit three years ago and haven't smoked since.

12. stestifie profile image69
    stestifieposted 11 years ago

I actually stopped smoking by using the patch, but was still getting the cravings. I got one of those vapor e-cigarettes with the oil that has no tobacco in it. Every time someone wanted to smoke with me I took it and I puffed on it, releasing yummy green apple smelling air instead of their dead, decaying air. It was about 60 bucks, and if you order the oils off of americaneliquidstore.com you can get them pretty cheap. Hope this helps! It helped me, I haven't smoked in over 50 days (I actually lost count)

13. Mike Marks profile image58
    Mike Marksposted 11 years ago

I think the first move I made was to wrap my Marlboros up in a blank paper and then wrap a thick rubber band around the pack and paper so it wasn't so easy to choose to take out a cig without at least being conscious I was doing so, and after I did all that unwrapping, before I lit up, I took the pen I always carried with me and wrote down the circumstance - I just finished lunch, I was just stepping out of the house, I'm starting the car, I'm contemplating something, I'm pissed at something - that triggered myself wanting a cigarette... then I'd enjoy my smoke and rewrap the pack... I've writtten more about quitting smoking on my own hub...   http://mikemarks.hubpages.com/hub/Quitting-Cigarettes

14. Goody5 profile image60
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Patches, and I'm now at 56 days without smoking a cigarette.

15. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
    LeslieAdrienneposted 11 years ago

I smoked from age 14 to age 25... From age 16 on, I smoked one pack a day, everyday. I tried to stop in many different ways, but it was nothing short of a miracle that caused me to stop smoking.

I happened to be in my dorm apt when a televangelist came on tv and said, "if you want to quit smoking, I dare you to just throw your cigarettes onto this platform. If you do it God will take the taste and cravings away from you. He will prove to you that He is God!"

I threw my cigarettes onto the mantle where the tv was, and that was the beginning of the end of a 21 year addiction. I slipped a few more times, but I haven't smoked since that year! That was in 1979.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)