Why most women like marry up?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. tuteramanda profile image60
    tuteramandaposted 11 years ago

Why most women like marry up?

it seems men is no longer the richer gender

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Because it makes their life easier. They don't have to work for anything if they do this.

tuteramandaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that is ture,but it really unfair to men,just like a slave

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed my friend.

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ya because we all know raising kids, cleaning house, and taking care of everyone's needs but our own is so easy and never work!

4. profile image0

@peeples.... I was referring to marrying into "big" money if I understood the question correctly?

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Because it means security. Before getting married, I was in a huge debate on how David would be good for me. One of the debates was finances. He is HORRIBLE with money. I don't trust him with a dime. He gives me his paycheck, and I control ALL finances. Eventually, I settled on the idea that I can work full time and he can work part time to keep the house clean. So far, the plan is going well. But just the idea of marrying up still has appeal. He might not have money, but David centers me and that is enough.

HI  lburmaster, I FIND WOMEN all around the world often use so called security as a excuse ,if you really consider your husband a family number,why dont you trust him? depriving his property rights and own his money is your so called security?

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Because he won't give me security so I must make it myself. We each pay half of the bills and what savings we have is what I make; I make more than him is why. I trust him with vehicles, house projects, cooking, etc. Not fashion, not finances.

4. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

@JT - The question stated, "most women."  You can't really believe that of most women. You are usually a very sensible Christian gentleman. Seriously, the question is insulting.  Two people marry, one is likely going to have more money than the other one - unless their finances are dead equal.  So are they marrying "up?"

The person that asked this question is likely to spend his life single with that attitude toward women.

1. profile image0

I meant no disrespect at all. I was simply answering his question. A prime example would be Anna Nicole marrying the 90 something year old billionaire. I really didn't pay attention to "most" women? Deeply sorry if I offended!!

2. duffsmom profile image62
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No offense taken, I'm just so used to your common sense responses this caught me off guard!  Peace Hub Friend  :-)

3. tuteramanda profile image60

hi duffsmom,i feel sorry if you think my question is insulting,I respect everyone online ,no offensive,i just want to know most women's thinking ,no bias against

5. kabugalewis profile image60
    kabugalewisposted 11 years ago

for security moreso physical security. They always feel safer when they have a man around more than when theres no man there.

i can understand where is the unsafety? violence against men more than women i think

2. kabugalewis profile image60
      kabugalewisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it has more to do with safety as a state of mind.

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

You are correct in acknowledging there are more and more women who do out earn men. Historically husbands were (expected) to be the "major breadwinner" of the household. Even with all of the progress women have made there are still women who the mindset that their husband should out earn them. A woman may be earning more than $100k per year but she (wants) her husband to make as much money or more than she does!
    There was a time when men were thought to feel emasculated if their wives earned more than them but today most men have less of a problem with it then women do. Some traditions die hard. :-)

that is really awesome, I think THE KEY reASON is the educational gap and men's limited choice ,the only way is reform the education system and overthrow some social conscious

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I was avoiding answering this question because of it's ignorance, but it will annoy me if I don't answer. "Why most women like marry up?" Where exactly are all these rich guys marrying poor woman? Is there some big community of poor women becoming rich wives I don't know about?
    "it seems men is no longer the richer gender" Are you saying men should be the richer gender and that women don't deserve to be rich?
    When I met my hubby he had blown through a large inheritance, had no power in his home, and the water was about to be turned off. Here we are almost 8 years later married and happy.
    There will always be "gold diggers". Last I checked those are both male and female.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Peeples, you make a valid point. Although sometimes I think we forget HubPages is international and therefore what this questioner has observed in his native (Tianjin, China) may be completely different than that of the U.S. culture.

2. tuteramanda profile image60

hi peeples, at least in china, fiance should buy an apartment for fiancee before marriage ,and pay the bride price to her familiy ,that almost mean the bankrupt of fiance's family ,if  men not the richer gender ,the marriage itself will extinct

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's absurd. If I were you I'd move!

4. tuteramanda profile image60

@peeples   that is really absurb,but unless i move outside china ,i must accept that,that every chinese fiance's burden (responbility in many women's word),though it seems very unfair and inequality agaist men.

8. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Not most women.   Some women marry men whose educational, sociocultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds are the same or similar to theirs.  There are women who do not care WHOM they marry even though the man is socioeconomically near penury, is far less educated than she is, and have other liabilities as long as she loves him.   These two types of women believe that love conquers all.   

However, there is the smart women who marries upward.   This women realize that she wants a better life.   She furthermore knows that money is very important in a relationship.   Having monies is the difference between a subsistence lifestyle where one has to worry about whether he/she will become more penurious and probably homeless if he/she has no job and/or other socioeconomic venues of income and a lifestyle which preclude monetary worries.   This woman want a rich and/or at best a highly affluent, successful men who can afford her any luxury she wants.   

However, I must add the however, the woman has to bring something to the relationship.  The woman who marries wealthier had better present some goods whether it is fierce intelligence/education, some type of ambitious plan of her own, and a career or at least a good job.   No right- thinking rich and/or affluent man wants a wife who has nothing to bring to the table.  If a woman is poor, uneducated, and is in a nonprofessional and/or lowly paid job, chances are the rich and/or affluent man will not give her a second look.   Rich and/or affluent men want women with something to offer.   

Smart and savvy rich and/or affluent men are quite aware of women who are socioeconomic vampires who want them only for their money.  That is why there are prenuptial agreements.   These man intend to keep their hard earned wealth and not to lose 50% or more less the marriage does not work out.   These men are savvy enough to avoid the poor and/or uneducated Janes, seeking women who may not be as rich and/or affluent as they but are quite close in earning power.   

Women in low paying and/or nonprofessional jobs seldom marry rich and/or affluent men although many of them may wish to do so.   They usually marry their kind, the poor, uneducated Joes and they live broke ever after.   If a rich and/or affluent man is attracted to a poor, uneducated or less educated woman in a low paying and/or nonprofessional job, it is only a momentary lust and/or basic attraction, it is definitely not for a serious and/or committal relationship.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81

"There are women who do not care WHOM they marry even though the man is socioeconomically near penury, is far less educated than she is, and have other liabilities as long as she loves him." Didn't you post a forum stating "Like attracts Like" :-)

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did. However, there are some women who just do not particularly care whom they date and/or marry as long as they "ARE IN LOVE."

3. dashingscorpio profile image81

Therefore we are in agreement! It is not (unheard of) for someone to date and marry a person simply because they are in love! :-)
      To be honest with you I believe the "attraction" factor for men outweighs a woman's accomplishments regarding dating.

9. cherryseeds profile image61
    cherryseedsposted 10 years ago

Actually I think rich women do not. only poor ones do because it's more likely men that approach women in dating and they tend to set "requirements" to accept the ones who date them

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)