How can I stop projecting my thoughts onto others?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. BeliDee profile image56
    BeliDeeposted 11 years ago

How can I stop projecting my thoughts onto others?

- for example: looking for flaws in their appearances and how they are not as attractive as me, and wish they looked like me. When in actual fact every time I look in the mirror I dislike myself. I know I am just trying to look down on other people so I can perceive myself as more attractive. I feel guilty and negatively when I do it. Its a very old and hard habit to break. How do I stop? It causes me to hate others because I think when they are looking at me they are judging me- projection again. It's difficult enough admitting that it's my own fault so knowing how to fix it is impossible.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Not trying to be smug at all, just bite your tongue. As the old saying goes "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all."

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Perhaps when you finally realize that no one has changed anything for you ! lol

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Those kinds of habits can be very hard to break but you can do it.  Always be present in the moment.  Be super aware of when you meet someone and those thoughts begin. In your mind, yell STOP!  And refuse to "go there."  Make your mind up to notice something nice about them and the make your thoughts move on.

If you can't do this, you might benefit from some counseling to help break the thought patterns.

5. maddot profile image66
    maddotposted 11 years ago

It''s all about retraining your mind. Thinking in a certain way for a very long time wires the brain do what you've been training it to do.
    If you want to untrain that way of thinking your have to work at it - very much like the way you train your body to lose weight or to get fit.
    You have already moved in the right direction by identifying  your thoughts and how they are affecting you.
    When you see those thoughts popping up into your mind - divert them- do not allow them, don't follow them, distract yourself onto  another train of thought. - you'll be surprised at how well this works.
    I find that if I "set' my mind in the morning..to thinking I will only have kind thoughts and wish all much happiness...it makes my day easier and those nagging nasty little thougths don't get as much airplay! Sometimes those thoughts are stubborn..but just keep on them - Identify, acknowledge and wish them well but it's time for them to go! Remember everytime one pops into your mind..turn you attention elsewhere.
    I also use a bracelet I bought after my much loved old dog died. It's a lovely green stone set in silver and I use it to remind me what my dog taught me; she never said a bad word about anyone and she was kind to everyone.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lovely

6. Maggie Bennett profile image59
    Maggie Bennettposted 11 years ago

I think all the other people who answered gave you some good things to think about.  One thing I've realized about myself is that when I finally recognize the problem myself it is much easier for me to attempt to fix it. 

The next time you find yourself doing this just try to stop yourself.  Do not get mad; just switch gears.  The more you catch yourself doing this the more likely you are to quit doing it eventually. You will change your habit over time hopefully.  Good luck.

BeliDeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

7. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

Self psychoanalysis is very important ability to posess. It goes beyond self consciousness and shyness into a state of hyperempathy which is a diagnosed illness. Research hyperempathy and take it from there. Good luck. .

8. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

Find a good hypnotist. It should take less than one week to fix it. Also, a good book on thought stopping is, "This"  by Sri H. W. L. Poonja. Everybody creates an illusory world with their thoughts. The secret is to just be aware of your creations. Then you can change them or leave the page empty, with no commentary.

9. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

Great thoughts in these comments.  I'd like to add these:  My mother used to say, "You wouldn't worry about what other people thought about you, if you realized how little they do!"  (I loved that, but it didn't really help me with always comparing myself with others.)  Everyone I used to see when I was younger, and even a little bit at this late stage of life, seemed kinder, wiser, brighter, more fulfilled, better at life than I am.  I began to realize where that paradoxical comparison habit came for me.  It was actually from 4th grade when the lovely Sister Mary Ann Margaret was trying to instill "character" in us.  Each week the class voted on the person who was the most "Christ-like," kindest, noblest , blah da de blah, student in the class. That person would get to wear the "honor" pin. Five of us girls seemed to get that honor pin a lot. (I don't think the boys got it much - lol).  On the weeks I didn't get it, I was devastated.  Thus, the comparison of myself with others was set in motion. After my husband left more than 20 years ago after 20 years of marriage, it confirmed ALL misgivings I had about myself.  Of course his leaving meant I was less kind than the woman he left for; of course it meant I was less able to give him what he needed than the woman he left for; of course the woman he left for must have been a better mother; and on and on ad infinitum.  I could barely function in the world after that.  One way of coping was to write a little story (adult allegory or whatever) about a little petunia in the garden.  (Polly and the Measuring Stick).  Polly loves being in Mrs. Shumway's garden until the garden club comes to visit.  There are "ooh's" for this flower and "aah's" for that flower; but there are no "ooh's" nor "ahh's" for Polly.  Finally after bringing herself "down to the ground" the little petunia hears a chant in her own little mind that saves her:  "I am what I am and I know what I know: And I measure JUST ME, to see how I grow."  I have it on Amazon as an ebook and I hope it helps those of us who struggle with this type of self-esteem issue. I love the comments on mind re-training that Maddot wrote here for you. We're all in this together.  When you look at a friend, try to think about what THEY need from YOU. Listen to THEM. Let the focus of your mind be on THEIR NEEDS and you will glow from within SO BRIGHTLY that you will be beautiful and radiate beauty to all around you.  You'll feel that glow. Peace and best wishes.... Billie

BeliDeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very Helpful x

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)