Copied Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 11 years ago

Copied Hubs

Is it a good idea to contact the author first or immediately file a DMCA complaint when copied material is discovered? I'm finding it a challenge to keep up with this aspect. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

I know of a fellow hubber within our community, who actually told me that someone had copied one, or two of his articles.  He told me, that he proceeded to  contact that individual first, to try to resolve the issue peaceably. 

However when that particular person denied any copyright infringement. He then filed a complaint via DMCA.  Again this may depend on how a particular individual feels right from the start, in terms of having one of his/her articles copied without being contacted first.

1. profile image0
      healthylife2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like attempting to resolve it amicably first is worth a try. If unsuccessful I will file a DMAC...hope it is easy to do. Thanks for answering   Jbowden!

3. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

If someone copies one of your hubs, they know they are stealing and it will not bother them in the least if you don't like it. You can try, but it will probably not do any good. Go ahead and get your paperwork for the DMCA complaint ready for them to turn you down.

1. profile image0

I attempted to contact the author and the blog is still there so I will now file a DMCA. You are absolutely right Becky and in the future will probably file immediately. Thanks for answering.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

The mechanism that HP uses to check for copied material is not the best. Copying some of your hub's text and putting in quotation marks in Google should reveal where it appears. I just found out some of my articles copied in a WordPress site but it is a lost cause since they "author" won't acknowledge my request to take it down and Google is slow to respond if at all. Nevertheless submitting a DMCA every time is the best recourse.

1. profile image0

I found the copies by putting a section in quotes. I think I received that helpful advice from another hubber. Thanks for answering LuisEGonzalez and I hope you eventually have success removing the copied articles.

5. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I've had 3 of mine copied and once I let the people know that I'd turn them in, the articles were taken right down. A few people just don't realize you can't do this and the rest don't like the idea that you'll turn them in. Some are hard to find a contact email. These I'd just file a DMCA report.

1. profile image0

II agree Barbara Kay that some people must be unaware that you can't copy other articles. One person I contacted removed the article. I recently contacted someone else and didn't receive a response and the article is still there so will have to file.

6. Gareth Pritchard profile image73
    Gareth Pritchardposted 11 years ago

I once received a notification from Hubpages that one of my Hubs was a copy of work by somebody else. When I looked into it as far as I could tell it was the other way around my publishing dates where older than theirs. I knew I hadn't copied somebody else work anyway. I couldn't be bothered so I just rewrote my own and resolved the problem easily as far as I was concerned. It bumped up my word count and refreshed my content. Plus my Hub was ranking higher than their page and continued to do well for quite a while after.

Lots of my personal content has been copied by others all over the web not so much Hubs but blog content and images with no attribution. I once went down the DMCA route with success but that was on a Wordpress multi user site and the owner didn't just remove the work but removed the publisher also. That was an article on Ezine Articles I had published on their site that was copied onto the WPMU site without attribution.

It might be that a large site like Hubpages will carry more weight in the mind of the plagiarist thief if you go after them but it is frustrating and time consuming to do so.

There is a page on Blogger that is an exact copy of one of my pages. It does have attribution but it is everything, my images, words, experiences, right to the point of them recopying it when ever I up date the page. They are number one and I am nowhere to be seen. That really disturbs me sometimes because eventually it's Google as they own Blogger. I am going to challenge that at some point when I get my own site ranking better as I have ignored it for a couple of years.

Good luck with what ever direction you take.

1. profile image0

It is time consuming and a hassle to track down copied articles and then act on it. Hope you get your article removed from blogger. Thanks for answering and sharing your experience Gareth!

7. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

It's best to file the complaint in this regard.

1. profile image0

Once I learn the process it probably is the best way to go. This isn't the first time this has happened and probably won't be the last. thanks for answering gags3480!

8. Janelle Coulton profile image57
    Janelle Coultonposted 11 years ago

I would do both and if it is a multi-user site like Hub pages then contact the site as well. Filing with DMCA may be annoying and time consuming, but I would not put up with someone copying my work. Certain content sites are really not doing enough to stop these people and I do believe that most people know you cannot copy and paste another persons work. I think it is largely up to us to keep an eye out for plagiarists and report them to the site concerned.

1. profile image0

It's a similar site to HP so I will contact the site since contacting the author was not effective at all. I agree the site can't keep up with it and we have to protect our own work. Time for the DMAC!

9. TheKatsMeow profile image88
    TheKatsMeowposted 11 years ago

If they have a google adsense account, then they should be aware that copying someone else's work is not allowed. If you do report them, they could lose their adsense account for good for violating the terms of service. It's true that they might not have known what they are doing, but in the end, they stole from you. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who copy-paste other people's work word for word, for their own profit. I would say report them, it might seem like a waste of time, but I don't think it is. You are protecting your work.

1. profile image0

It's on a site where they make money from ads and you are right that they should know and probably do that stealing from others is wrong. I asked nicely and it is still there so will be forced to file a DMCA. I might as well learn the process.

10. sangre profile image94
    sangreposted 9 years ago

This just happened to me recently and hubpages contacted me about it. I have contacted the blogger about it, so I hope they take it down, otherwise I'm filing DMCA complaint. First time in 3 years that it happened.

1. profile image0
      healthylife2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I contacted both people first but they haven't removed it yet. This issue seems to happen with everyone at some point here. It was my first time in almost two years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)