What Cultural Differences have you noticed on your travels?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 11 years ago

What Cultural Differences have you noticed on your travels?

I have traveled quite a bit and noticed many cultural differences during my travels. For example in Croatia being 15 to 30 minutes late for a dinner is considered normal, while in Germany it would be considered extremely rude. In the west we shake our heads from side to side when we say no, but in India it often means yes or I understand. What kind of cultural differences have you observed ?

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 11 years ago

You should come to England we have a world of cultures, sometimes all in one street. In my own street we have English, Scottish, German, French, Polish, Albanians, Indians, Pakistani's, West Indians and Africans, all of which are trying to keep their cultural identity alive.
    Nothing wrong with that of course but sometimes its difficult to understand just where English culture has disappeard too.

ketageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds confusing to say the least, I am sure that you must have learned a lot about the different cultures. Must be a lot of fun smile
      I am assuming this is only in the big cities and that the English culture still thrives in the countryside.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

I have discovered one thing is universal;  mothers love their children and want the very best for them whether you are in Africa, South America or Europe.

It nearly killed my girlfriend that her house help (Central Africa) called her mommy and he was thirty years older than her.  He was being respectful and she knew it, but it still irritated her.   I adored all her house help and had to restrain myself from complimenting them too much.

This is very true, a mothers love is universal smile
      Not surprised your Girlfriend was annoyed, I don't think any young lady would like being called mommy by an older man, lol

4. agusfanani profile image70
    agusfananiposted 11 years ago

I observed more openness  of the people when I visited The Philippines. In positive term, people were not reluctant to show intimacy in public. There are also more more night entertainments like Karaoke in many parts of the city so that a lot of people I interacted with could sing beautifully. Throwing parties and people skillful in  modern dances found more common than in my country. Some people even taught me how to dance patiently and I enjoyed it very much.

I know quite a few Filipinos, and weirdly enough they can all sing pretty darned well, I was very impressed, especially since I can't hold a tune if my life depended on it. I would love to visit the Philippines. On my to do list.

5. Mike India profile image70
    Mike Indiaposted 11 years ago

I travelled a lot the past 40 some years. Here is my 2 cent contribution to your question, mentioning what really impressed me.

China: Upon meeting someone or while leaving from a meeting, do not ever attempt to embrace someone or even worse to kiss as we do in Europe. Also women and men in relation, cannot walk in the public holding hands or kissing etc. DO not attempt a hand shake with both men and women, in general any touch is prohibited.  Well, now days, you may find changes in big cities like Beijing or Shanghai or Hong Kong, but if you visit remote areas, like I did,  this is the rule. 

Iran - Iraq: Never show the sole of your shoes when you are sitting across someone - never try to shake hands with a woman- both are considered fatal rude behavior.

Interesting observation, yes it it very true that in most Asian countries people are not so comfortable with being touched. I did not know that Iran-Iraq showing the soles of the feet was considered that rude. good to know.

2. Mike India profile image70
      Mike Indiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just remembered to add, Austria/ Vienna - When you accompany a woman out for dinner or drinks, the man will always open the door of the bar or the restaurant and will walk in FIRST while the woman will  follow.

3. ketage profile image81

Geez , that would take some getting use to Mike, I can just imagine the reaction of the ladies in my life if I suddenly adopted the Austria/Vienna custom of going in before the ladies.

6. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

The one thing I noticed when I travelled through Greece is that the hand signal for pointing someone or something out is the opposite way from the way we do it. For example I asked one guy sitting at a cafe' table, can you tell me where the bank is please? Instead of pointing it out he straightened his arm then gestured it towards him, so me believing that he wanted me to come closer, came closer! lol! He looked confused, I looked confused, and then luckily someone told me that the bank was across the road. Phew!

LOL , That does sound confusing, so many little gestures we take for granted, are used differently in other cultures. I would never have figured this one out.

7. avneet sidhu profile image57
    avneet sidhuposted 11 years ago

I love to travel and visited many places... I would say that there are so many cultural differences as every state or city has its own rituals, traditions and beliefs. For example, during my visit to a hill station I noticed that their culture is very different than those living in plain areas. It is my personal opinion that culture vary from place to place.

True, even short distances seem to make a difference when it come to cultural and traditional differences.

8. lilian_sg profile image63
    lilian_sgposted 11 years ago

Language differences although technically it should be the same. For instance, Hokkien (one of many Chinese dialects) is spoken in Taiwan, Malaysia , Singapore etc but each country has sort of local slang or localized words which the other wouldn't understand smile

Very true lilian_sg. I speak  Penang dialect hokkien and Bahasa melayu,  but have problems understanding Taiwanese Hokkien and Indonesian, I can hold a basic conversation, but find that a lot of words are different.

9. nArchuleta profile image74
    nArchuletaposted 11 years ago

The habits that stem from cultural differences can lead to miscommunication. These tips can help tourists visiting some of the places that I have traveled or lived in. read more

Interesting hub smile looks like you had an interesting time during your travels smile

2. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I always do -- hence the pic of a monkey on my head. Spider monkeys have very soft hands like butter-leather gloves. Random fact that I know only because of travel!

10. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7887050_f260.jpg

I have noticed in my significantly limited travels and if I may add, I cannot understand why not all cultures play ice hockey! I believe (well not really; yet, try to imagine) that if every culture played ice hockey it would indeed be a better world and global warming would be reversed...
    Especially since H-E-double hockey sticks is significantly hot and uncomfortable; thus, Heaven must be a cold hockey rink, right? Why else would one refer to the penalty box in ice hockey as the "sin-bin"? Get on the ice, skate, shoot and ask questions later...

1. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pretty cute -- I love hockey, too. Don't know that I think heaven should be cold like an ice rink, but maybe it would reverse global warming. How can people play ice hockey with no ice, after all?

2. ketage profile image81

A hockey fan I am guessing ? hahaha

3. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Artificial ice, not unlike what all North Americans play on. I live in Florida and we have wonderful ice 12 months a year. The above picture is from RDV complex (2 ice rinks) from Orlando, FL...

11. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I agree with you about CROATIA being late for dinner is normal living here  has made me see another culture so differently. In South Africa punctuality is important, and  the lifestyle in Croatia  is not as westernized as in South Africa

I see you are living in Croatia, beautiful country smile

12. Lindsay Langstaff profile image70
    Lindsay Langstaffposted 6 years ago

The closer you get to the Mediterranean Sea, the less personal space you have. I was in Israel on an archaeology dig and we would wash the pottery we found in a nearby stream. This was also a popular destination for schools and locals to visit. When the children would come, they would stand so close to me that their pants/skirts would be touching the back of my head. They would also pick up the pottery without asking our permission. At first, I thought they were just being bratty kids. But then adults came and did the exact same things! I quickly realized that they don't have as large of a space bubble as Americans do and that this was something we just had to tolerate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)