Why do people continue to believe that satan is a fallen angel?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

Why do people continue to believe that satan is a fallen angel?

Why do people continue to believe that satan is a fallen angel when the scriptures they use are taken out of context and do not refer to him?  Isaiah 14  is about the king of babylon, see vs 4- EZE 28 is about the king of Tyre, see vse 11. also 2 peter 2vs 4 and jude 6 say all angels that left their habitation (home) are in chains til judgement day.   The verse in rev has not happened yet?  and there is no scripture about an angel rebelling.

2. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 10 years ago

Wow Celafoe!  You’re trying to get us to have a Bible study here.  I’m pretty busy these days but stopped to research this.  It’s like having a piece of a map.  What I came up with quickly ..not a theologian.
    Ezekiel 28:12-14  - specifically 14a “14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth.”
    2 corinthinas 11:14  “And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.”
    Ephesians 6:12 rules out flesh and blood 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.’

2 Peter 2:4  For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment

1. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Had I read your whole question, I wouldn't haven't cited these ... already covered.

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Diane, check the verses I mentioned.  and tell me what you see then, thanks

3. dianetrotter profile image61

Hi Cela, I referenced several of those passages.  Luke 10:18 says 'I  beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."  What do you think "satan" refers to?

4. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why in the world would people not consider these metaphors? I mean be reasonable in interpretation. Truth is beautiful. But literal translation is not truth seeking. These are concepts of the time written for people of the time. Think Internet!

5. celafoe profile image54

specific verses I referenced show these verses are not talking about satan  Isiaih is talking about the king of babylon and eze about the king of tyre -- ephes goes with col 1 vs 15-18  - 2 peter shows  fallen angels in chains til judgement

6. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Diane, as I understand it 'Anointed Cherub' is a term used to mock the king; Ephesus 6:12 can also be read as talking about the Roman Empire; and 2 Pet was not written by Peter and takes ideas from the discredited Book of Enoch.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I like all the imagery of falling angels and lightening bolts and hell fire and brimstone and lakes of fire and a place down below. And horrible gnashing of teeth and eternal hell. And best of all a ruler with all red body and pitch fork and weird tail.
    Excorcisisms and and earthquakes that swallow us.

We need to be less literal and more in tune with love. People fall. People fail. Angels must also fall and fail.

Repurcussions are this: Live with it, die with and stay with it. Your choice as to what that is. Depictions, drawings, ceilings and novels do not change this truth.
    I do not know a soul that believes concepts of the Red devil. Such foolishness.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, It means they fall from grace as do we all. They leave home. Prodigal son and such. Israelites outside of their promised land. A Fall. Me when I reject or act wrongful.

4. Michael-Milec profile image60
    Michael-Milecposted 10 years ago

Best effort to answer this question came to me in an idea: if someone would take time to ask a onehundred-thousand people , we may get the answer. Why do they believe and what do they believe of the Satan's origin. Rest of the informations obtained in the Scriptures - most of your know, having own opinion/ interpretation or belief of. The one thing is evident, God the Creator dealt with Serpent/Satan back there  in the Garden. The Jesus of Nazarwth, the Anointed One has faced the evil-one , the accuser, slandered, deceiver, and  evil spirits in actions are known to every Child of God as the opposite forces to the kingdom of God in progress.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

No scripture about angels rebelling?

Evil angels
    Psalm 78:49
    He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.

The Devil's angels
    Matthew 25:41
    Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

Angels that sinned
    2 Peter 2:4
    For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

The dragon (devil) and his angels fought against Michael and his angels
    Revelation 12:7
    And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

The dragon (serpent, devil) and his angels were cast out into the earth
    Revelation 12:9
    And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

1. celafoe profile image54

ds - rev 12 has not yet occurred ,MT The devil and his angels , his demons are his angels.  2peter2vs 4 they are in chains until the judgement (i will concede the sinned as it varies and can be a valid term) psalm refers to demons, satans angels

2. Disappearinghead profile image61

In 1 Kings 22:19-23 and 2 Chron 18:17-22, God sends a lying spirit/evil to speak from the mouths of the false prophets in order to deceive the king. There are no evil angels. Revelation was argued over for 300 years before being accepted.

3. celafoe profile image54

DH-- poor choice of words on my part.  I did not mean demons were ever angels, i dont believe that, demons are to satan as angels are to God  that is what i was trying to convey

4. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know what the T'anakh (Jewish Bible) says in Hebrew and it is speaking of angels and not men or anything else. Even the English bible is clear that the devil has his angels

5. Disappearinghead profile image61

Deborah, I am so surprised that you a Jewess would accept the myth that one a devil exists, and two he has angels. Please quote from the Hebrew Scriptures to support your position.

6. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

DH
      celafoe, said there was no scripture to support, the devil being an angel. I am simply interpreting scripture and it does not reflect nor dispute my beliefs. I have stated this in many of my hubs because I have been accused of believing Yahshua wa

6. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 10 years ago

I do not believe there is any evidence for a fallen angel called Satan. It's a completely alien belief in Judaism and neither this myth nor demons can be found in the Old Testament. So either these things are simply untrue or God forgot to tell anyone about them for 4000 years.

By Jesus time demons and an evil arch fiend called Satan found their way into cultural superstitions of the day as they had no other explanation for disease, sickness, death, or bad stuff happening in the World. When atheists today ask why if there is a God does so much evil happen, the answer in Jesus time was to attribute it to a satan character. The early Church was not immune to these popularised superstitions and simply assumed them to have some validity.

2 Peter was not written by Peter but some unknown author who's reliability is also unknown. Both he and Jude took their inspiration for angels in chains from the discredited Book of Enoch which is full of made up fantastical ideas. If we choose to believe these things we may as well believe in the Greek and Roman mythological tales about gods, men, flying horses, and ugly women with snake hair turning people to stone.

Revelation has been popularly attributed to John the apostle but there is no evidence for this and the writing style is different to the John letters. We don't know who this John was and like 2 Peter his reliability is unknown. It was allegedly written in the 1st century but it took 300 years of arguing over before being controversially added to the canon. Martin Luther for one refused to believe it was scripture. It contains Babylonian astrology; the four living creatures. The lion one is Leo, the ox one is Taurus, the man one is Aquarius, and the eagle one is Scorpio (they saw an eagle in the constellation pattern where we see a scorpion). These four constellations are at four opposing sides of the sky and the zodiac. Check it out. John believing in only one God interprets the constellations as angels surrounding the centre of heaven; the Pole Star. Thus Revelation cannot be used as evidence for fallen angels or Satan.

The four gospels are not first hand reportage accounts. Mark was the first and written in Rome 30 years later based upon the collective memories of the early church. The others were derived from Mark later. Thus we don't actually know what Jesus said - except by blind faith.

The Hebrew Scriptures make no mention of fallen angels or angels in chains, so ask yourself where do these ideas come from?

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

I am not going to answer the question directly because obviously everyone is more knowledgeable about the Bible than me. I will only say, if you look hard enough in the Bible you will find a scripture, if taken out-of-context that will support your point of view.

I believe Satan, the Devil, whatever you want to call him is real. For a long time I wondered how he could allegedly do the same things as God, then I learned that he was a messenger who carried a message to those of little faith tempting or leading them to do evil things. This is my opinion based on my reading of the Bible over 50 years--never read it all the way through from beginning to end, because there really is no reason too, since it is not written in a chronological order and since it was not written in any single century, decade or year and not my any single person. Thus, you can find something to support your view and you may be right, but no one is right all the time. I harbor no offense to anyone and their belief's. I just sense there are a lot of searching of online Bibles looking for verses that will support or oppose the topic of the day. If I have offended anyone, I apologize now. I accuse no one. I only offer an observation.

1. dianetrotter profile image61

Couldn't have said it better myself Larry!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)