Is there ANY justification for ANY christian churches to keep secerets?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

Is there ANY justification for ANY christian churches to keep secerets?

What need is there for any christian church to keep secerets? I heard of and seen a number of christian churches that hide some of the doctrine from the public, but only members are allowed to know. And what about a church's true finances, that are kept hiden from the members and public.  Many keep that seceret too. Not to mention criminal activity by members of the clergy. So, I ask this question, would God true church keep secerets?

2. Ronald Bachner profile image67
    Ronald Bachnerposted 10 years ago

These are false churches whose focus is not on the word of god and the gospel.  They are failing to trust in God.  They are serving other masters before God.

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ronald- Thank you. I believe there is much carnal mindedness by those members of any christian church that holds secerets of their church of any kind.

3. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 10 years ago

There is no true justification for a church to keep secrets. A church that is unwilling to reveal all things is a church that has a hidden agenda and as such cannot be trusted.

1. profile image53

Deepes Mind- What need could there possibly be for ANY christian church to have a hidden agenda. I have a trust issue with any man made church that holds secerets. Many thanks for your answer.

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's the million dollar question

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

No. The church is Jesus Christ. The way is the good book. Doctrine should be taught out of the Bible and the Bible only. Saying that, If the preacher is doing this then he is doing what is pleasing to God. Not trying to please his congregation.

1. profile image53

JThomps42- There are many christian churches out there that hide there deep doctrine from the public. They will say one thing in public, and to the members of their church say something else and tell them to keep it within their church. Thans you JT.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome my friend.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Graceinus, help me out here, I have been around awhile and except for movies I do not know in such occurrences. Please illuminate us. Maybe the Mormons with inner sanctums? Maybe voting for a Pope? You have me intrigued

4. profile image53

Eric- Here's one example, research the Pilidelphia Church of God. And then call them and ask if you can attend one of their services. You will get a NO. There is a process one must go through first. Why. They are very seceretive.

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Now I get it. In that context, that kind of secrecy is just down right evil and scary. I shutter. I mean it, I have to block them from my mind for I am not strong enough to combat it. Thanks for walking me through this, I have learned a lot.

6. profile image53

Eric- I agree with you 1000%.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I do not know a man that does not have secrets. Maybe he is not actively hiding them, but why would anyone care to hear about the marble that was his favorite when he was five. These are the ways of man. An actual community that acts as a church is made up of members. So how can the whole of the membership not have secrets?
    Oh my!!! Just think of the confessions. Whether out loud in a congregation, or silently in our minds or in a session with a pastor. We have secular laws and church laws that protect such secrets.
    So I suppose your question goes to dogma/doctrinal/liturgical type secrets. It is my experience that secrets in these areas fall into two categories. No one cares and it is part of a show that includes mysteries. Why do the Catholics ring those bells during communion. What up with those Episcopal Candles and why would a priest wash his hands after giving the sacraments? I know the reason but if I started explaining it to my wife she would thank me later for putting her to sleep.
    As to wrongful actions of members of the church, we ask only who would be the last or the first to cast a stone. But if one causes injury to spirit or body of another member, especially a widow or a child, openness of confession and expulsion or repentance are required. No one lights a candle and puts it under a basket.
    Please be clear, this is not any kind of rule I make or repeat, it is more of a "it just is" in my experience.

1. profile image53

Eric- Can you give me one good example, where Jesus would expect or accept the idea of keeping , in whole or in part, anything about His church seceret or hidden? Thanks.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh most assuredly. The mysteries of Faith, The mysteries of the Trinity. The timing of His return. He is God, I am a man, I do not know all He knows. Perhaps we should take the negativity out of secrets. Because something is a secret is it bad?

3. profile image53

Eric- I believe there's a difference between true spiritual mysteries that can be study about through God's word. What I question are the secerets IMPOSED by MEN within the churches to mislead or hide for whatever reason. Thanks again Eric.

6. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

There should be no secrets to those who are the genuine church. All genuine church doctrine is freely revealed in the Bible. The secret heresy "doctrine" that only the priviledged members are only supposed to know is man-made ideaology; it is only of value in a hiearchial system where only the special elite "peacocks" are the only ones who can reveal to you the "secrets" of God.

The finaces that the true Church cheerfully gives is to freely given one to another; therefore, there is nothing to hidden behind closed doors. If someone is in need, it is given straight to that person, not via the clergy where they can skim as much as they want off the top first for themselves.

The clergy in the man-made churches know that "secrets" are gold. If you continue filling their offering plate, they will dispense these "secrets" relative to the flow of the monetary.

Secrets in the "church" are characteristic of occult/cult like activity that is meant to be hidden from view.

For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was anything kept secret, but that it should come abroad. - Mark 4:22

Truth may be expounded privately by the Holy Spirit; it is not meant for concealment, but the work of grace is to be proclaimed publically without cost.

1. profile image53

PlanksandNails- I totally agree, many many thanks.

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Should a church keep secret that they're hiding refugees in the basement when the Gestapo comes looking for them?

How about the wisdom about which someone is not yet ready to learn. Even Jesus kept secrets from his disciples because they were not yet ready.

And there are a great many things that are "hidden" in the Bible, like a timeline compatible with those of science, the Kabbalah's "Tree of Life" embedded in 2 chapters of Genesis, reincarnation and karma.

Discovering such things takes humility.

Certainly, humans keep secrets to hide crimes, but that is not the only reason for secrets.

8. celafoe profile image52
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

In  true Christianity there are NO secrets, even the hidden things of God are to be revealed.    We are given the Holy Spirit of Jesus to teach us ALL THINGS.   The churches of Men have secrets as you have said, but in Christ there are no secrets.   So when there are secrets that is a strong warning from God to stay away from those folks.  and as you have said they are tools of manipulation used by wolves in sheeps clothing..

1. profile image53

celafoe- I agree with you complaetely.
      It's go to see you back. Have not seen you in a week or two. Thank you.

2. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yes, we spent a month in USA and so glad to be be back home and relax.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

I am sorry you two, but this is just wrong. Do you both think the "priest" confessional should not be privileged in law and canon? Do you both think a man should talk about sex with his wife. What kind of nonsense are you speaking of. Secrets=Privat

4. profile image53

Eric- Thank you. We're not talking about personal issues between man and wife or so much what is said between a member and pastor as confession. It's things kept seceret that may relate to daily funtion of a church and kept from members out of fear.

I am sorry I read the "NO" as meaning "NO" secrets. And even secretly praying in a closet is a "church" secret.

6. celafoe profile image52

whew--- oh ok  wow eric i was beginning to wonder about you.

7. Ericdierker profile image45

Certainly we speak of church liturgical and congregational secrets and doctrinal secrets if we say no secrets. Otherwise we must insist the church keep secrets. And then we must agree it is only man to man that secrets are kept. So we must agree, yes

8. profile image53

Eric- Example. Most man made churches received money from it's members. These churches will then invest much of this money into stocks, bonds, mutual funds for investments. These actions by the churches are kept seceret from church members. Why?

9. Ericdierker profile image45

Keeping an investment portfolio private. Hmmm. I think most people do that because it is private not secret. SEC Corps do not even necessarily make that public in particulars. There are good reasons to keep them private. Yes they should.

10. profile image53

Eric- I think we have a disconnect here. Example. Let say I go to a"church service" and donate money. The "Church"  then take's that money and invest it in a stock, bond or mutual fund to gain more money. Are you saying that's O.K. with you? Thanks.

11. Ericdierker profile image45

I went back and read your original post. Yes I think you are taking offense at something that is just plain practical. Of course churches invest in order to have financial security. Making those matters public serves no purpose. Private or Secret?

12. profile image53

Eric- I am by no means offended. The whole point behind all of this is that the "Church"  ( individual persons) as I understand it to be is in the world, but not  "Of The World". I see stock, bonds, and mutual funds as (one small part) of the world.

13. celafoe profile image52

Eric, then what I hear you saying is that ministry is not to trust God with their future, but to trust in man?   So when the market goes bust and they lose millions because they trusted in man it is ok?  And meanwhile the work of God is lacking.

14. Ericdierker profile image45

Interesting take from both of you. Yes I do believe that it is OK to provide for lease payments, ministers retirement, insurance, Sunday School teachers and child care.

15. profile image53

Eric- "Church" as I understand it to be, has none of the things in it that you just described. The Church as I understand it to be is strictly spiritual in nature. I don't mean this to offend you in any way at all. I just see a difference. Thanks

16. Ericdierker profile image45

Well what to you call those buildings where people gather to worship Christ?

17. profile image53

Eric- Thanks again. I know this may sound odd but I see them as just buildings and nothing more. But most people who gather at a building will call it church. Most building are constructed is such a way to give a sense or appearence of holiness.

18. celafoe profile image52

eric,  where does the scripture provide for "retirement" of a minister of Christ?   I understand where the churches of men get it but not men of God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)