What does the term "politically correct" mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. collegedad profile image65
    collegedadposted 10 years ago

What does the term "politically correct" mean to you?

I was recently told that I needed to be "politically correct" in my statements. I won't elaborate here, but I have a strong opinion about folks who abuse social entitlement programs and this rubs some the wrong way. When someone says that I'm being "politically incorrect" the old saying "the truth hurts" comes to mind!

What is your opinion of the term "politically correct"

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Politically correct means respectful and not disparaging to groups of people as a whole.  You (meaning a collective not you personally)  can be against something without being obnoxious or rude about it or harsh.  People tend to not debate, but argue and that's where the valid points get lost. 

Politically correct is how you get people to actually possibly listen to what you have to say.  A bully pulpit will not do that.

collegedadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about rudeness. To many people are obnoxious with their opinions. I always try to keep an even tone with people. If they don't respect my opinions that fine. They are entitled to my opinions just as I am entitled to mine.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid, I must disagree. Being politically correct does not always mean respectful. It means going along with the prevailing norms. At one time it was politically correct to treat black people as inferior. That was the norm, but it was not right

3. dahoglund profile image70
    dahoglundposted 10 years ago

I think it is sort of like what we used to call "the party line."  Orwell might call it group think.

1. profile image0

Group think is a good explanation. Unfortunately, the prevailing group may not be the best group for determining what is correct and what is incorrect or improper.

4. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 10 years ago

Attempting to not offend people unless it's absolutely necessary is a good philosophy in life.

BTW, about social entitlement programs and people who abuse them I totally agree, they are scum, thankfully they are factually and provably well under 1% of US households who receive social program money and are not working or disabled, elderly, veterans etc.

Evidently my neighbor who's three year old little girl was playing in the middle of the street barefoot this morning (at 36 degrees) while he tokes on his medical marijuana in the house feels that I was offensive when I called the police. LOL

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

Politically correct, has a meaning, but that meaning is absolutely meaningless to me. I am not trying to be cryptic, I am just saying, I try to write, and behave in a professional manner and do not go out of my way to insult someone or some group. But I do not ever worry about being politically correct. If that is you position, then no one will never know or possibly care where you stand because you are always changing your comments to be in step with the ruling demographic group at that moment.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Larry......Bravo!  You have spoken for me.  My Dad used the term, "Fence riders"......someone always ready to jump to EITHER side of an issue, depending upon WHO they're trying to please.  I IGNORE those folks entirely!

6. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

It means "Play Nice" or be chastised for speaking the truth.  Politicians invented this as a means to protect themselves against individuals who spoke the truth.  This then permits them to break the law and still remain in power. 
    In today's society anyone who demands that you be "Politically Correct" is requesting that you quit telling the truth because it hurts them.
    For example, "Gay" is an abnormal personal choice - not a formidable promotable lifestyle that will perpetuate a healthy future for humans.  However, under the guise of "Political Correctness", it is an acceptable alternative to normality because a "Gay" person believes it so.

I agree with you on speaking the truth. Recently I was told it wasn't politically correct to call out a local politician in a public meeting. Even though what he was doing was completely illegal.

2. profile image0

I do not disagree with you,  but I just see it as an effort to keep individuals from being honest with expressing their views and opinions. I am not approving offensive language, but I do support the right to disagree--hope we can agree on that.

3. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Larry and CollegeDad. Many people cannot agree to disagree in certain situations and when there is wrongdoing involved as CollegeDad said, many choose to ignore it hope it goes away on it's own. Sad.

7. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

"Politically correct" literally means that speech which a politician often uses - that which is least likely to offend or (not applicable to all politicians, but apt here) that which doesn't make waves.

This term is often incorrectly used and definitely over-used.  Most of the time it is used, it is derisively, as if to imply that people can't say what they want anymore - often by people who would rather shoot off their mouths right from the hip, damn  people's feelings, sensitivities or points of view.

This isn't true.  It just means that civilized people don't act like jerks and use terms and expressions that could genuinely anger someone or hurt his/her feelings.  Some people even go so far as to say that to use "his/her" is lame, ridiculous, wimpy and "politically correct".  It is not at all a bad thing that we should pay attention to what we say and how we say it.  "Politically correct" or not, it's just plain decency to show respect for another's feelings in your everyday speech.

8. LandmarkWealth profile image66
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

Political correctness has basically devolved into being able to offend those in the majority, but not the minority...even when your comments are truthful.  When a society has devolved politically to the point than the only time you can tell the truth is when it done by a comedian in a stand up act, while everyone else ignores what is happening around them...society is in trouble.

9. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

Being politically correct means that you make an attempt to not hurt other people's feelings by using certain disparaging words or phrases but it also means that you are not "telling it like it is." Therefore, some important details are being left out and consequently not being discussed. Quite often it comes across as BS because it is not genuine or sincere and this is why it can rub people the wrong way. Depending upon the actual execution, there are times when to me being politically correct means avoidance of saying the truth, even tactfully just to avoid hurt feelings. Landmark Wealth and Taburkett have raised valid points here.

10. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I think it means that you respect the sensibilities of others by putting aside your need to espouse your position on an issue. In other words, holding off on saying how you really feel, for the sake of avoiding unintended slights or insults.

11. Man of Strength profile image71
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

Politically correct means not to offend. It's sugar coating the truth. Depending on the subject, it may prevent honest and beneficial dialogue.

12. bethperry profile image84
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

The original meanings of words and phrases of course changes over time, but I believe today the term political correctness has two very closely related definitions:
    1. The expectation that something spoken, written or engaged in by physical act or participation will in no case give rise to a sense of "offense" to any person, groups of persons, living or dead, or their descendants that have, at least during one point in history, existed on the planet known as Earth.
    2. The act of pointing out a possible breach of definition (1) with lightning speed, angry, colorful and possibly defaming exuberance, and with full immunity from reproach for that exuberance because in doing so, one presumes to act as a watchdog of Political Correctness and is therefore not subject to penalty of breaching definition (1) during said act of watchdogfulness.

13. AlexDrinkH2O profile image74
    AlexDrinkH2Oposted 10 years ago

“Political Correctness is Cultural Marxism, a regime to punish dissent and to stigmatize social heresy as the Inquisition punished religious heresy. Its trademark is intolerance.”

Patrick Buchanan – The Death of the West 
    I could not agree more.

14. ParadigmEnacted profile image77
    ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

Political correctness is the suppression of facts and discourse through the arbitrary refusal to tolerate certain common terms or phrases. The stigmatized words, which usually have been accepted parts of a country's dialect for ages, are replaced with new ones meaning essentially the same thing but deemed more suitable by ulterior interests. An individual considered to be undesirable by these specific group political interests are able to be marginalized and refused entry into a discussion because they are made to appear bigoted or insensitive, whether or not it is true.

The point is that whenever an ulterior motive is at stake, people are willing to lie, distort, coerce, feign sensitivity, and resort to double standards. That is also the nature of politics.

15. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
    Kate Mc Brideposted 9 years ago

I was told recently to "park my contempt". It was good advice because the person who told me to do so is someone I admire and respect. "Politically correct" is uncomfortable but practical-it gets things done.Speaking plainly is uncomfortable for others who don't like the truth unvarnished. Having said that, I still think saying how it is is better than being politically correct. Is this right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)