How much sleep do you consider adequate to function properly, personally?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Cantuhearmescream profile image75
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

How much sleep do you consider adequate to function properly, personally?

The conversation about sleeping has been popping up a lot recently. Fellow hubbers and I have been joking about the idea of never going to bed. What is adequate sleep, for you?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8048145_f260.jpg

1. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Well, I can function and get by with about three hours of sleep.  However, "they", whomever "they" are, say at least eight, and now studies are saying even nine hours of sleep is so important to get to that deep state of rest for one's mind and body to function properly.  I know those who suffer with insomnia are really in harms' way, as if it goes on for too long, then it could actually make one psychotic! Yikes!!!  Good question, and would make a good hub too smile !!!

Have a great day girl!

Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Three hours? Wow, that avatar of yours is certainly fitting! big_smile  Three hours is a fairly common amount for me, but I usually feel guilty about it and would like at least four. How do you do it, lady? So bubbly and supportive, yet such little sleep!

2. Faith Reaper profile image82
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I go to bed at a normal time nowadays, I was just saying that I can get by on 3 hours if need be!  When my children were young, working full-time and going to college at night, I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning to study.

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image75

Well, nonetheless, you must function quite well either way. I see you early and later and you're always wondrously pleasant. Working, studying, kids... us woman are fabulous creatures... but you, even more so :-)

4. Faith Reaper profile image82
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are right, woman are awesome, especially at doing it all, and doing it well smile like you do!

5. Cantuhearmescream profile image75

See why I love this lady? big_smile

6. Ericdierker profile image44
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know I much I love ya. Today the in-laws are all here and a special nephew walks with cap and gown. We celebrate a Vietnamese boy getting a Masters in the US of A. What war?!! How much sleep does one need to be riding on the happy ship of life?.

7. Cantuhearmescream profile image75

I hope you're talking to me, but if you're not; I'll still tell you how much I love ya! What a wonderful day this is! Please extend my congratulations! Very little sleep is needed for such ocassions as you are riding on a wave of happiness!

8. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Faith.....Never fear, honey!   I got ya covered.  I'm sure I sleep enough for YOU and me!!

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

OMG I just love to see a question from a Epi  curean. It means you are well and life gives you time to think on inpotent madders.

Sleep is a majical treat. Gandijii (you may know him as Ghandi) quoted a Dali Lama on the matter. So that is pretty good authority. And I think a Pope about 30 years ago spoke to this as well.

Sleep is the finest meditation of all. It is relaxed breathing, calm, and allows that pea brain to wander, or is that wonder?

Honey good child, you can never get too much sleep. But for me about 5 hours and then a nap during the day. But I am so old, that when they ask who is buried in Grant's tomb, I only say, who knows, I just built it.

Mornin’ Eric! Thank you for saving me from having to Google a word big_smile
        What a colorful answer and some excellent points! I have to say I’m impressed that you function as well as you do on just five hours of sleep! And ha ha funny; but you’re not old y

3. shanmarie profile image72
      shanmarieposted 10 years ago

Dearest Cat, I am a night owl by nature and alwyas have been!  The rest of the world lives by day, unfortunately.  If I sleep 3-4 hours, I wake up feeling wide awake and ready to go...more than that but less than 8 or 9, and I feel tired still.  Sometimes, I can sleepl about 3-4 at night and catch a nap sometime throughout the day, but with children, that doenst happen often.

Hey, there you are, I thought you were sleeping you nocturnal girl, you! big_smile
        I can relate to the 3-4 hours, but wide awake and ready to go... not so much ;-) I just starting napping after I convinced myself it wasn't just for infants and the elderly!

2. shanmarie profile image72
        shanmarieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nocturnal, yes, but the rest of the world demands day time semi-alertness as well. Hehe.

Ha ha... I meant to thank you earlier but exceeded the character limit; thanks for the lovely spinach contribution big_smile

4. shanmarie profile image72
        shanmarieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. D:  wink

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I'm the type that requires 8 hours especially as I get older. When I was a younger man, I could function on much less. In which was not healthy at all I'm sure.

You probably have the most responsible answer so far and I commend you. I think I need to find some middle ground myself... I'd like to live long enough to regret my poor sleeping habits! big_smile

2. profile image0
        JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. I surely hope so as well. smile

Thank you JThomp42, I'll certianly try to work on that! big_smile

4. fpherj48 profile image60

Cat...I can confirm for you.  If you live LONG ENOUGH, you won't remember what your sleeping habits used to be!!   Just believe me!...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ha ha ha... I'll make a note of that, thank you! big_smile
        I don't remember yesterday ;-)
        Who even asked this question anyway? big_smile

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Some chick that obviously needs more sleep!

5. Theater girl profile image69
      Theater girlposted 10 years ago

I am good with about five hours. Otherwise I start walking into walls! Luckily, I am able to get that most nights. You have to be on your toes around the little ones that I teach! otherwise they abosilutely start pointing out the dark circles under my eyes!

Another 5 hours; I’m noticing a common theme here. Please make sure to get those 5 hours in, as I’d hate to see you walking into walls or with dark circles, which you could get from both, lack of sleep or walking into walls  and we need you here! big_smile

2. Theater girl profile image69
        Theater girlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cat you are truly so sweet, thanks!

Eh, don't mention it, besides... you are too big_smile

6. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Well, Cat.....good question.....Years ago, somehow, I existed (and hopefully, functioned) on very little sleep.  Not a choice, but a necessity.   BAWK!   Now, I get as much sleep as possible, to include "naps."   I don't honestly know if I NEED as much sleep as I get, but I can confirm this much:  It feels good and I like it!!   Who would have thought that sleep could be such a wonderful, beneficial thing?
      The truth is, I never thought mothers ever slept at all!   Oh, but Grandmas do!! LOL..........

BAWK, ha ha! That’s something crazy old birds say, and you are not a crazy old bird! big_smile
        I just started flirting with napping, it felt awkward at first, but yes, there is definitely some pleasure involved. Grandmothers have more than earned it!

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Oh...but Cat, my dear NEW friend.  Thou does not KNOW the infamous EFFER, as well as some of our fellow hubbers do.  They will confirm that I AM precisely "a crazy old bird!!"  ask, bil, sunshine, Tillie, Nell Rose, Suzie HQ, ...Oh the list is long!

Ha ha! I guess I'll have to take your word for it and maybe even track down some of those listed, but the old part... I'm having a hard time buying and the crazy? Well, I guess that means we play at the same park? big_smile

7. agapsikap profile image60
      agapsikapposted 10 years ago

Maximum of 7 hours, minimum of 5. Need to be awake at least an hour or two before my kids.. and stay awake 'til an hour or two after kids have gone to bed. Making sure five kids were all sleeping before I'll go to sleep. I really need a good night sleep so I can be able to manage my time equally on the following day. Or else, brain will hung-up.

Max. 7? You won’t even consider the minimum advised by experts? big_smile I think a minimum of five is fair. Five hours and I don’t feel guilty about staying up late. I can relate to the afterhours, but I can’t say I’m always up much before my kids. big_smile

2. agapsikap profile image60
        agapsikapposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That, because I have a 1year-old baby. I can't even stay longer than an hour on my computer table. Am raising four boys and an only daughter. Yes, imagine the daily routine. whew!

Well something tells me you could get a mother of the year award! big_smile

4. agapsikap profile image60

Aaaww... ;D from Cantuhearmescream Award? Thank you, that would be lovely. smile

Ha ha... I'll take whatever I can get big_smile ... but I'll pay it forward too!

6. agapsikap profile image60

Haha.. that is so sweet.

8. Relationshipc profile image87
      Relationshipcposted 10 years ago

I have never been able to function on less than nine hours sleep. My sleep has always been very important to me - in part because I love dreaming.

When I was a teenager I would sleep 12-15 hours to my mom's horror. When I first moved out, I pretty much did the same thing (I worked evenings and would usually sleep from 2am to 12pm. Now, I usually go to sleep at around 11pm and I do not open my eyes until 8:30 on the dot...no matter how hard I try to get up earlier!

Also, if I am forced to get up by an alarm or someone telling me to get up, I get downright cranky.

Oh my word, 9 hours?! Wow, that’s awesome… other than my teenage nieces and nephews; I don’t who else commits that much time to sleeping! big_smile Sleep is important and dreaming can be awesome. You’re cool, so you must be doin’ something right . Cranky U?

9. Man of Strength profile image72
      Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

I can function well on six hours of quality sleep. Quality being the key word. Being able to get up refreshed, without needing that beloved cup of Joe. You can get by on three to four hours but you'll find yourself nodding or looking for a nice corner to curl up in.

There is definitely a difference in good/bad quality of sleep. Luckily, when I sleep, I sleep, but I know others who lay in bed for hours and don't get more than a couple good quality hours of sleep. Yes... the nice corner to curl up in big_smile

10. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Personally, 7 hours. Anything over is a little fuzzy in the morning, anything under and I'm not there for the rest of the day. Just want to sleep. It's best when I go to sleep around midnight and wake up around 7.

Isn't it funny how "too much" sleep can sometimes be ineffective too? Seven hours seems pretty fair and so does your schedule. I might be able to do that once in a while, but I get anxious if I feel that I'm going to bed 'early'. "What am I missing?"

2. lburmaster profile image72
        lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Entirely agree. I've always been a night owl. For some reason, I'm most creative and productive right before sleep. At least you keep moving smile

As much as I fear 'missing something' or 'losing time', I have to say; well-rested does make the brain function a little more smoothly big_smile

11. Abby Campbell profile image73
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Are you writing a poem on this, Cat? wink Hehe! Well, I believe a person needs anywhere between 7 to 10 hours per night. Personally, I get about 7 hours and feel great. But, there are nights when hormones (not HubPages) affects me and I can only sleep about 4 hours. LOL. But, I had to let HubPages go at night because my husband was able to kick me out. tongue

Hey, you know what? You just gave me an idea! I might just have to subject the people of HP with another nonsense rhyme big_smile  7 hours would be nice, I don't know if I could stick with it, but I'm sure I'd feel a difference. 4 hours is a big dip from 7!

2. Abby Campbell profile image73
        Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can't wait for your new rhyme and riddle, Cat! wink

12. Savio Dawson profile image92
      Savio Dawsonposted 10 years ago

I have slept for two hours, fourteen hours and even had few days with no sleep. I had not witnessed any loss in alertness and therefore, I am a bit lost in answering your question.

So, the only one thing I would say is that, if you are happy doing what you are doing, you would not worry too much about your sleep. Whatever the duration, it should be good enough to rejuvenate you.

two or fourteen, each quite amazing big_smile I certainly appreciate your theory. I suppose no one knows our bodies like ourselves and if we need sleep, we'll know. Then I'll keep on keepin' on! Thanks!

13. Kevin Peter profile image61
      Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

8 hours of sleep is required for an adult. Warm milk with honey or valerian could help you get a good sleep. Relaxation is the main way to get to sleep. A comfortable room including the right bed and room temperature is recommended for a wonderful sleep.

I love the tips... though my problem isn't falling asleep... it's never going to bed. I might just try your suggestions though, at least once. Thanks big_smile

14. profile image0
      Awesome Bodyposted 10 years ago

6 to 8 hrs depending on what you do in the day. A sportsmen or a bodybuilder will need more sleep in order to recover, a person doing a less physically challenging job will need less.

That makes sense. But doesn't a lack of physical activity sometimes lead to sleepiness?

2. profile image0
        Awesome Bodyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lack of exercise will lead in sleep deprivation which will leave you without energy to do anything the next day which will in turn make you feel sleepy.
        Sleep is important and lack of it will result in unbalanced system and there are side effects.

15. Dannytaylor02 profile image71
      Dannytaylor02posted 9 years ago

Apparently we only need around 4 hours of sleep to regenerate our physical bodies. After that deep sleep mode we get Rapid eye movement sleep which helps us to meditate on what we have learned in the day and thats when we dream.

Personally i prefer 8 - 9 hours but i never get it! :*(

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)