Do you have a guru?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (30 posts)
  1. harmony155 profile image59
    harmony155posted 10 years ago

Do you have a guru?

Who is your guru?

2. aravindb1982 profile image78
    aravindb1982posted 10 years ago

I have a Guru who has given my life meaning. He has also taught me the purpose of my life and continues to guide me on how to achieve it. In fact, the only reason I am on HubPages is to share the universal teachings and experiences of my guru, Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. If you visit my profile, you will see that all the 180 odd articles I have written are about Him and my miraculous experiences with Him. smile

Would love to know about your Guru too...

harmony155posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am recently being drawn to Sadhguru and have attended 2 of his retreats this year. Thankfully I am able to continue to follow and listen to him on youtube and his website.
      I will definitely check out your hubpages!

2. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

but all he can do is lead you in his direction, he cannot give you the priceless treasure of eternal life.   so really he has no eternal value

3. aravindb1982 profile image78
      aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Looks like Celafoe has got into the "narrow-minded" speciality of saying that  "There is only my way, and that is mine!" I see it in the other comment on Buddha...

Remember, there are many who also feel Jesus is DEAD! smile
      Live and let live as Jesus!

4. aravindb1982 profile image78

@Harmony 155 - Open-mindedness is as important as having a Guru! The Lord will come in any form and we NEED to be open-minded to see and perceive.

All the best to you in your journey...

3. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Taking the worldly definition of "guru," and not the U.S. definition.  Yes, I have a "teacher and master."  My teacher is the world.  People.  Non-fiction books covering various philosophies and biographies and physics.  My 5 senses.  The world is my teacher.  The world is my master.  It gave me life.  It gives me life.  It will take my life.  It teaches me all I know; all I will know.  I refuse to believe any one (wo)man can be my "master, my teacher."  The Universe contains all knowledge, not any one (wo)man.  Any (wo)man claiming to know all, knows nothing.  All knowledge is out there.  We just have to be willing to seek it out.  That means not closing one's mind to answers.  Not believing one (wo)man has all the answers.  Never stop searching.  Never stop listening to the world.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing what I think is the underlying essence of every religion!

2. Erin Wilson profile image59
      Erin Wilsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very well put. I, as well, cannot say that I have a single guru. I look to nature, the world, people I may even walk past on the street, my "inner voice" etc. These are the things that help me to become better acquainted with the world around me.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

Over my life I've met a number of people who have obviously had a profound impact on my life, but I would regard all of them as teachers rather than gurus.  The word guru seems to imply a certain amount of worship and I'm sure none of them would have expected that.  Respect for their views, yes, but certainly not any sort of reverence.

Closest I've come to what some might call a guru (and a man who poo-poo'd the idea and made fun of himself for even the remote possibility that he be considered as such, was Sri Satya Narayan Goenka who introduced me (via audio and video tapes at a meditation retreat) to Vipassana Meditation, something I've practised daily now for twenty-six years.

I think a lot of people who use the word guru towards someone they hold in high esteem as a wise and trusted person would be more accurate if they used the term mentor.   I've certainly had a few people in my life who I consider have fallen into this category.   

Do I have a guru?   No.  But I do find guidance just about everywhere.

You are right, it is best not to idolize the person that shows the way. It is best to see them as a "mentor".

5. Ronilo Blanca profile image62
    Ronilo Blancaposted 10 years ago

Yes my Guru is up there in Heaven the ALMIGHTY one who gives me talent of writing..

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes I do. My teacher and my master is Jesus Christ my savior.

7. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

no I do not have a guru, I have something much better, I have a Savior, His name is Jesus Christ.   He loves me so much He died to save me.

I am glad you have found a path that speaks to your heart but please keep in mind that everyone has their own path to find and follow.

8. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

The guru is within. I have observed hundreds of gurus from around the world. They are helpful as far as spiritual teachings are concerned. They may mention a device or a technique that will remove a certain problem. God can actually use anybody to help people. There is nothing wrong with teachers helping people and sharing ideas. But I have not seen higher teachings than Jesus and Buddha. They pretty much covered everything. Other gurus are just repeating what they taught. But the ultimate teacher is the Spirit within. The scriptures say, "glorify God in your body". That is the best advice.

1. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

buddha has no eternal value.  he is dead.    Jesus is ALIVE.   to compare Him with buddha is an offense to me a l Christian.   And the spirit  within will lead you astray unless it is the one and only Holy Spirit of JesusChrist, God in the flesh.

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have a closed mind. Christians tend to be intolerant of other religions. Your response is typical. But millions have also been helped by Buddhist teachings and other religions. You may become a little more mature in the future.

3. aravindb1982 profile image78

I feel like laughing at celafoe's narrow-mindedness and foolishness! As if me saying JESUS IS DEAD will actually make that the Truth!!!

The Buddha is the same as Jesus for God exists in the devotee's heart and he cares not what you call him/her/it!

9. LensMan999 profile image56
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Guru means teacher. There may be no one in this world who doesn't have a guru. The first guru of each person is his or her mother. We learn from her for the first time. Later on in our lives we go through a number of other gurus who teach us different things and provide us with a lot of knowledge.
    Learning is a process that never ends, and so anyone who gives us a new knowledge can be considered to be our guru.

10. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

A guru is a teacher in our official language. I had many gurus when I was in school, but not anymore. Why would I need gurus after leaving school? Let us lead our own life, rather than entrust our life to someone else.

11. profile image0
    hiba naeemposted 10 years ago

the good the bad the worse....we all teach one thing or the other.My guru/peer is someone eho doesnot even know how much she has taught me.I remember that many times when Im knee deep in trouble,I think,what would she have done if this had happened to her?and then all my worries fade away.I put her in my shoes instead of walking in hers lol

12. yssubramanyam profile image59
    yssubramanyamposted 10 years ago

jaggi vasudev
    inner engineering org
    india

Yssu: We are connected by the same guru

13. Erin Wilson profile image59
    Erin Wilsonposted 10 years ago

When I really think about it, I could never really say that anyone or anything is a true guru or teacher in the sense that I hear many speak of. I've always looked to everything around me, nature, small signals, advice from people, influences from books, my "inner voice" for guidance. I don't have the feeling one is ever really able to know something completely, so then it goes without saying that I do not believe we can "learn" something completely from anyone else. They are able to guide us by their perspective, and tell us about their experiences and what they believe is fact, but when it comes down to it, it is still perspective. But I am thankful for all the guidance and perspective. This was a great question.

You are right, intuition can be one of the best sources of guidance! Thanks for your thoughtful response.

2. WalterPoon profile image68
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about Sai Baba whom Wikipedia said is an Indian guru and notable spiritual teacher?
      http://india.jbdirectory.com/Talk:Sathya_Sai_Baba

14. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

I will visit your hub. Thanks!

15. Lee Tea profile image85
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

Life, nature, my old man, and my children. And a few close philosophical friends that collectively fill the void of "teacher" for me.  They teach me the lessons I always wanted to have.  Otherwise I follow the decan influences of the zodiac throughout the course of the year (think less "fortune telling" and more "character building"), and listen to old recordings (well, YouTube videos now, which is fantastic) of Bill Hicks and George Carlin. 

Be well!
    Lee @ Lee's Teas

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)